PDA

View Full Version : PC or MAC at Emirates

Future Expat
13th May 2012, 07:36
Moving over very soon and need a new computer. Th EK portal says safari/mac is not compatible but I want to get a macbook air. Anyone using mac with emirates and having IT issues at all?

yada.yada.yada
13th May 2012, 08:06
Simple...get a program called Parallels. Then you can run windows :yuk: on the mac. Problem solved.

flaphandlemover
13th May 2012, 11:49
Ek clearly says, "we are a Windows company"...

I am using Mac for the last 3 Years and it works for me... like most of our fellow pilots...:ok:

BigGeordie
13th May 2012, 13:31
The biggest problem with a Mac is you won't get any help from our marvelous:hmm: IT department if you have a problem. However, somebody is sure to have had the same problem before so a solution will be out there.

Some would say our IT department isn't much help if you are running the "supported" Windows XP and Internet Explorer 7. Yes, they really are that up to date.

Future Expat
14th May 2012, 01:03
Thanks everyone- time for a mac then.

gardenshed
14th May 2012, 06:14
Use a browser called Omniweb seems to work fine with all EK applications except HR Direct when trying to update docs etc.

Jetaim
14th May 2012, 06:22
Yeah...that is the biggest concern .... ah ah ah!! Humanity has evidently engaged reverse gear in the evolution process. I suggest you a Macbook Fart.. is kind of lighter than the Macbook Air..and some Ivaseline ready at hand to fix compatibility issues.. Don't forget the much needed Isweat.
Enjoy your Islavery.

fringhtok
14th May 2012, 09:05
I asked this elsewhere with no answer-
Is anyone able to access staff travel on Mac or Ipad? I can via parallels but I'm wondering if there is a way without stooping to the Windoze level. Thanks.

flaphandlemover
14th May 2012, 10:23
you access Stafftravel via Citrix... to be downloaded on the groupworld site...
easy and straight forward..

RevMan2
14th May 2012, 10:40
Simple...get a program called Parallels.

Or Fusion (which IMHO is far better).
You need to to buy a Windows OS, of course)

donpizmeov
14th May 2012, 12:30
Mac is great, as long as you make it work like a PC. :ugh:

The Don

Jet II
14th May 2012, 14:02
Simple...get a program called Parallels. Then you can run windows :yuk: on the mac. Problem solved.

oe even better, get Oracle Virual Box (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/virtualbox/overview/index.html) which works just as well and is free. :D

Jimmy The Big Greek
15th May 2012, 03:23
you don't need to buy any special program. Just buy windows 7 and install it on the mac. All new mac OS have a capability called BOOTCAMP. This will allow you to install windows on a different partition. It is very user friendly and straight forward installation. Every time you start your Mac a window will appear and ask you if you want load windows or Mac OS.
In this way your Mac will work exactly like a normal PC.

Programs like parallels etc are EMULATORS that are only needed if you wish to run windows program or applications inside the Mac OSx environment which is totally unnecessary. In your case you just need to have the dual boot option (BOOTCAMP), which is free. :ok:

GoreTex
15th May 2012, 03:47
dont buy windows 7, get an old XP, it runs way faster, especially if you use the airbus manuals

fringhtok
15th May 2012, 13:37
Got Citrix. Thank you. Cheers

Christmas Beetle
24th Oct 2012, 13:09
Does anyone know how Android or win7(soon 8) Tablets work with company docs, and Trips, etc? I like my iPad but get sick of some of the compatability issues.

Cheers

scandistralian
28th Oct 2012, 05:31
I just use the latest version of Firefox with the latest MAC OS, everything works except for Apollo. For the iPad, you can access trips using Puffin browser, it's free for the first month, but then a once off fee of $5. Being on a poor First Officers wage however, paying $5 for anything requires due consideration and thought.

Craggenmore
28th Oct 2012, 06:02
Windows will work straight out of the box with no extra charge, including all work websites, manuals and the new 380 FCOM's

If you get a MAC you might need to buy/copy/pirate all of the programs mentioned in the above MAC posts above..!

Ghost_Rider737
28th Oct 2012, 16:06
Get the samsung series 9 , notebook.....its just as slim as the macbook air....MUCH CHEAPER as well. stick to PC..... !!!!

I have an Ipad 2 , works fine with my PC. Just use Itunes to sync all your docs from PC to Ipad !....Dont get stuck in the MAC TRAP ! Its fine ONLY in the US and some european countries ! Windows is still the most widely used OS and will be for a loooong time to come !

Saltaire
29th Oct 2012, 01:25
Sorry but windows is garbage. I've used apple for years now. No blue screen of death, no computer resets, anti virus software etc etc. I'll stick with Apple. The sh*t works and works well.

I have an old PC that i use for emergency work stuff, otherwise it's apple all the way.

glofish
29th Oct 2012, 07:55
Am I on the same page?

I have a Mac and it works just fine. No Citrix, but able to access Trips, HR, dowload flight plans and LH viewer charts. I can read the CD and transfer the files. Pelesys works. Don't need anything more.

Where is the problem?

DuneMentat
29th Oct 2012, 08:50
I'm with glofish on this one. Everything (except for Apollo which is not really needed anyway) works for me just fine on my mac. Only problem is some things only work in Firefox and not in Chrome but I can live with that!

DM

falconeasydriver
29th Oct 2012, 10:20
Company manuals download off the portal straight into iBooks, as well as flt plans via download lite. All the rest apart from Apollo works fine in either safari or firefox, chrome don't do PDF's

innersole
29th Oct 2012, 13:34
Anyone else having a hassle with HD Download or the lite version on the iPad, where you only get to the second password window and it keeps popping up and locks you out of the portal, meaning an immensely irritating call to IT to unlock it?