PDA

View Full Version : Ek 380 Update?

Oceanic
13th May 2012, 00:10
As I'm not a super pilot,( but still employed with Ek on the B fleet), would my esteemed colleagues have any updates on what is going on with the 380 wing cracks. Is the issue being resolved, are new aircraft arriving as planned, is Ek seeking compensation, and are course dates being deferred/ cancelled? I'm aware everything is fluid, but do those on fleet have any news on the current situation?

GoreTex
13th May 2012, 03:46
you think EK would tell us anything ever?

Kamelchaser
13th May 2012, 04:00
Heard in the training centre that the wing components that are cracked are being replaced with exactly the same parts until those parts can be re-designed with something that will last more than 5 minutes.

Apparently the UK company that manufactured the parts argued to the european designers that the design strength was never going to be enough, but the designers were adamant.

..only rumor however..doubt we'll ever know the real story.

falconeasydriver
13th May 2012, 09:11
The latest update? hmmm, well it's flying everywhere at .84 :E

Mister Warning
13th May 2012, 09:21
That's probably more to do with the price of fuel than the wings falling off!

The Turtle
14th May 2012, 08:10
There is a article in the May, 7th, page 14 aviation week about a proposed EASA AD because of cracking on the front spar. "the condition, if not detected and corrected, could reduce the structural integrity of the wing front spar."

Right now it only effects 9 380's in service.

Sorry I couldn't find the link to post directly.