PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian Scammers Making Direct Threats Now - given up on the heart-strings approach

favete linguis
12th May 2012, 19:47
Received this in the mail - funny how US customs have resorted to using hotmail accounts, times must be hard :ugh:

Attention:

We the U.S Customs and Border Protection, attached to the World Bank group, and federal bureau of investigation. The FedEx Courier Company Diplomat has arrived to hand over your package, but unfortunate he can not get to your address, we minimize the excesses of crime, most importantly, monetary movement from African and United Kingdom to the United States of America. Beneficiary this is to notify you that we have giving you (24hours) working day extension to provide the required documents demanded from you for proper certification of your fund. We work in affiliation with FBI and carry out the required duty as mandated by FBI Washington dc, we need the below stated document (Homeland Security document) before the diplomat will depart to hand over your package to you.

If after this grace, you do not get back to us with the above listed document by sending the sum of $178 USD to the information below for the securing of the Homeland Security document we shall consider this money as an act of terrorism, money laundering and drug trafficking. Our security men will then head to your City to apprehend you and bring you in for further interrogation. For proper briefing and obtaining of the Homeland Security document from the MINISTER OF JUSTICE, REPUBLIC OF BENIN

The Homeland Security document will cost you only $178 USD which you are to send it through WESTERN UNION immediately with the giving information below.

Receivers name: NNEIFE EMMANUEL
City: Cotonou
Code: 229
Test question: A
Answer: C
Amount: $178USD

Update us back with the confirmation digit number of the payment for verification purpose.
Thanks.

My Email; [email protected]
[email protected]
W.Ralph Basham
Commissioner
U.S Customs and Border Protection

Tableview
12th May 2012, 19:50
Fascinating too to see that they have outsourced operations to Benin!

Whoever wrote that email must have been smoking their socks.

Noah Zark.
12th May 2012, 23:04
I wonder who taught them to stand on their hind legs?

Keef
12th May 2012, 23:42
One wonders...

I got the same one. I replied to it (not from my normal address) with some further instructions for them.

probes
13th May 2012, 07:03
? - if they are mandated by the FBI, how come unfortunate he can not get to your address

stuckgear
13th May 2012, 08:32
The FedEx Courier Company Diplomat has arrived to hand over your package, but unfortunate he can not get to your address

my reply would be along the lines of ...

no access to a car ? must be some tin-pot diplomatic outstation.. what did the diplomat do screw a ministers dog ?

Metro man
13th May 2012, 12:54
Could you send the money to yourself through Western Union, there would only be a small transfer fee to pay. Then you would have a genuine Money Transfer Control number to send to the scammer which would show up when he checks it online before going in to collect the money. Obviously use a different password which he doesn't get.

Should be good for a laugh when he starts demanding his money at the WU office.:E

Tableview
13th May 2012, 17:22
If you do an internet search you can find fake MTCNs and send them to scammers. You can keep them going back and forth to WU just each time say : "Sorry I thought it was a 7, must have been a 1 ........"

racedo
13th May 2012, 19:34
Reply to them using 1601 Pennsylvania Ave or 9 Downing st and ask them along for a visit :E

Tableview
13th May 2012, 19:44
Please address to :

Mr. D. Tektiv, c/o The Copper Emporium
Mr. C. Opper, c/o S. C. Otland Yard

Worrals in the wilds
13th May 2012, 22:37
...as an act of terrorism, money laundering and drug trafficking.Wow, all at once. That's a pretty violent parcel. I'm amazed they didn't throw arms smuggling in as well, just for good measure. :eek: Maybe arms smuggling is not illegal in Benin so they didn't think of it. :}

We the U.S Customs and Border Protection, attached to the World Bank group, and federal bureau of investigation...Don't the FBI use capital letters? :hmm: Surely 'Commissioner' Basham would know that...

Seriously, it always amazes me how wonky the spelling and grammar are with these scam emails. Apparently it's a multi million dollar industry; surely there'd be enough in the tin to pay for a few proof readers.

Mind you, if it's a multi million dollar industry already (even when they send this sort of tripe) I guess they don't need to bother. :(

sisemen
14th May 2012, 01:54
You do have to wonder what kind of mind a person has to possess to be taken in by this stuff. Obviously there are enough people like that otherwise they wouldn't keep sending the stuff out.

Victor Inox
14th May 2012, 08:42
Seriously, it always amazes me how wonky the spelling and grammar are with these scam emails.

WITW: you appear to have been on Pprune long enough to see that "spelling and grammar" are not the strong points of many contributors here, either.

Tableview
14th May 2012, 17:04
I have just had a call from one of these scammers. I give them a UK forwarding number which costs me nothing and them quite a bit to call, so they don't know where I am. Anyway the guy was a Cockney lad, so I gave him a bit of a runaround then cut him off just after I'd agreeed to send him £290 via Western Union, waiting for him to call back.

Ozzy
14th May 2012, 18:21
Is there a method of ordering a denial of service (DOS) attack on a scammers email address? I would love to do it.....

Ozzy

probes
14th May 2012, 19:07
Tview, do you mean there's someone to actually answer the calls? :8

Worrals in the wilds
15th May 2012, 01:42
You do have to wonder what kind of mind a person has to possess to be taken in by this stuff. Obviously there are enough people like that otherwise they wouldn't keep sending the stuff out. I have an older friend who is a lovely lady, though not terribly bright. By way of illustration, she was a career checkout chick at Coles and was genuinely thrilled to get her 20 year badge at a special afternoon tea in the store, and has since retired and bought a computer. In other words, an ordinary woman who now does voluntary work and uses her computer to send cat pictures and motivational quote emails. Lots of them. :ugh:

Anyway, she rang me in a huge tizz because she'd gotten an email about a lotto ticket in the UK... you all know the drill. :zzz: The trouble is she'd actually lived in the UK for a short period of time, so in her eyes the story had some legitimacy. She took a heck of a lot of convincing that it was a scam; I had to show her a bunch of stuff from Snopes and the Qld Police website before she'd accept it.

These are the people who are getting ripped off. We're probably all fairly computer savvy on here, but a lot of people have no idea. The same lady didn't have virus protection until a few of us formed a posse and installed it for her, because we were sick of the .exe emails. :rolleyes:

They're out there, ripe for the picking. :(

WITW: you appear to have been on Pprune long enough to see that "spelling and grammar" are not the strong points of many contributors here, either. True. I've probably been guilty of plenty of errors, which is why I don't usually point the finger. :\
Is there a method of ordering a denial of service (DOS) attack on a scammers email address? I would love to do it.....Anonymous should get onto it. :suspect:

Pinky the pilot
15th May 2012, 06:01
I just wish that there was some way that we could retaliate; Preferably organising a setup where, when the spammer fires up his computer to send out his mischief that a signal is sent which burns out and fries his whole computer.:cool:

And permanently ruins the screen by burning in to it the following words,

We know you are a worthless, good for nothing thief, liar and crook!
Now **** off!

Well, one can dream can't one.:hmm:

teeteringhead
15th May 2012, 11:27
Mr. D. Tektiv, c/o The Copper Emporium
Mr. C. Opper, c/o S. C. Otland Yard ... one always though the address was:

999, Letsby Avenue ..........;)

boom boom!

The SSK
15th May 2012, 11:53
Worrals: These are the people who are getting ripped off. We're probably all fairly computer savvy on here, but a lot of people have no idea.

OK it was in earlier days, but Mrs SSK's boss got one of these emails way back when (she quit that job in 1994) and he was really, genuinely excited at the prospect of getting ten million out of the blue. He was really quite disappointed (and not completely convinced) when she told him it was a scam.

He wasn't stupid - sole proprietor of a headhuntery who charged a million bucks per assignment. He was (and still is according to his ex wife) an evil manipulative bastard to whom lying and cheating was second nature, so maybe it's not surprising that he related to the supposed dead dictator's widow trying to launder huge sums.

Worrals in the wilds
15th May 2012, 12:02
Exactly.
Some years ago, the Australian Federal Police embarked on a grass roots campaign to warn people about Nigerian scams. Our borders are relatively quiet (about the population of Greater London spread across an area the size of Europe, with five major exit ports) and very few people travel to Nigeria from Australia, so the MO was simple.

They stationed officers at each major airport to interview passengers whose stated destination was Nigeria (unlike most places, Australia still has exit passport control). After discounting the small number of native Nigerians who live in Australia, missionaries, adventurous tourists and petro-chemical company employees with legitimate reasons to travel to Nigeria they were left with the scammees. Many of these people chose to disbelieve the coppers. Even after being told; 'It's a scam, you'll get ripped off and maybe killed' many of them still travelled. God knows what happened to them, but in this case the government really tried, on an individual level.

No doubt the disbelievers thought it was an attempt by the evil Australian government to fleece them of their 'hard' earned money. Never trust a copper...I know what I'm doing. :(:\

west lakes
17th May 2012, 18:07
Looks like JFK airport has moved countries

U.S. CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION AGENCY
DEFERRED INSPECTIONS UNIT
AMERICAN AIRLINES - TERMINAL NINE
1ST FLOOR ARRIVALS AREA - ROOM 11-161
JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
JAMAICA , NY 11430

We, office of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency (CBP) hereby write to inform you that we stopped a diplomatic lady by the name Mrs. Lisa Pennington at (John F Kennedy International Airport) here in New York with a consignment box filled with United States Dollars.

In the course of interrogating her, she said that the consignment box belongs to you and that she was sent by one King Michael to come deliver the consignment box to you not knowing that the content of the box is money.

Now, this diplomat (Lisa Pennington) is being kept in the custody of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection security, and we cannot release her until we carry out our proper investigation on how this large Volume money (CASH) managed to be yours. In this regards you are to reassure and prove to us that the money you are about to receive is legal by sending us the Award Ownership Certificate showing that the money is not illegal.

Note that the Award Ownership Certificate must to be secured from the country where the money originated from and must be signed by the country's head of parliament. In this case this Award Ownership certificate is to be obtained from the office of the Nigerian Senate President; this is because the fund originated from Nigeria.

You are advised to forward immediately the Award Ownership Certificate if you have it with you, but if you do not have it, we advise you to contact back the sender of the diplomat to help you secure the Award Ownership Certificate if at all you do not have it.

Below is the contact information of the person that sent Mrs. Lisa Pennington as provided by her;

Name: King Michael

Email: [email protected]

Furthermore, we are giving you only but 3 working business days to forward the requested Award Ownership Certificate. Please note that we shall get back to you after the 3 working business days, and if you didn't come up with the certificate we shall confiscate the funds into the Governments account, you will then be charged for money laundering and smuggling of currencies according to the United States Patriot Act bill on money laundering related activities, signed into law (P.L.107-56) by President Bush on October 26, 2001 and the United Nations Chatter on money laundering. But if you forward the Award Ownership Certificate then we will release diplomat with your consignment box also gives you every back up on the money.

Thanks for your understanding and co-operation

Yours Truly,
Commissioner Anthony Leo White.

U.S. CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION
DEFERRED INSPECTIONS UNIT
AMERICAN AIRLINES - TERMINAL NINE
1ST FLOOR ARRIVALS AREA - ROOM 11-161
JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
JAMAICA, NY 11430.

The SSK
18th May 2012, 00:07
Sorry WL but JFK is indeed in .. Jamaica

Greater Jamaica, a large, sprawling neighborhood, is also home to John F. Kennedy International Airport—one of the busiest international airports in the United States and the world

MagnusP
18th May 2012, 08:43
United Nations Chatter on money laundering

I always said it was just a talking shop.

911slf
18th May 2012, 09:39
Letsby Avenue well known in my neck of the woods.

Coppers prowl Sheffield's Letsby Avenue ? The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/27/letsby_avenue/)