PDA

View Full Version : Luftwaffe? Well, when I wanted an old photo of my home town . . .

Loose rivets
12th May 2012, 05:30
I didn't think this is where I'd find it.

Luftwaffe aerial Photos - GALLERY ESSEX (http://www.luftwaffeuk.com/page4.htm)

Mach Turtle
12th May 2012, 06:15
The tourism board of Foulness Point - Crouch River has its work cut out.

Lex Talionis
12th May 2012, 06:15
No worse or better than the pics the RAF would have had of Germany and Europe but if you want to see some really good up to date hi res shots of the UK you might want to ask the Russians :E

Krystal n chips
12th May 2012, 07:06
The photographs lack clarity...they so not appear to show my father laying cables across the pristine lawns and flowerbeds of Frinton c/o his sabbitical with the Royal Corps of Signals....whilst he was a very keen gardener, he took great delight in doing so.... as the local populace had decided all visiting troops were basically peasantry..... and barred them from the pubs....this, as they say, " was not a good idea"...

AlpineSkier
12th May 2012, 09:53
Luftwaffe? Well, when I wanted an old photo of my home town . . .

I didn't think this is where I'd find it.

Huh - I bet you're not expecting the Spanish Inquisition either :E

Lon More
12th May 2012, 10:05
I'm surprised there are so few there. Is this an on-going project?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th May 2012, 10:22
They're doing it in phases. No date for phase 3 has been scheduled yet....

racedo
12th May 2012, 10:26
They're doing it in phases. No date for phase 3 has been scheduled yet....

Phase 3 is GoogleEarth.

oxenos
12th May 2012, 13:10
The chap who took the " after " photo above was flying incredibly low.

Loose rivets
12th May 2012, 18:41
as the local populace had decided all visiting troops were basically peasantry..... and barred them from the pubs...

Pubs in Frinton! 'Never!', said the residents of that bygone era. Twas only in recent years that a fine old hardware shop of the 'Forkandles?' veriety, was turned into the Lock and Barrel.

Twas posh in Frinton, but then they made the mistake of letting me in, and it was all over bar the shouting. (all done in upper class voices.) They'd never seen anyone mending their own car, well, except from the chaps on holiday from Oxbridge, who stood around fine old Bentley Tourers wondering which way up one held a spanner.

In the one of the Naze peninsular at Walton on the Naze, it shows my house and the fields behind it. But as mentioned, in very poor definition. Frustratingly, GooEarth historical mode in 1947 just cuts off south of the more important Parkston and Harwich docks. I really hope they continue with that project.

vulcanised
12th May 2012, 21:09
Frinton has never been the same since they discovered that bounder (who I know) using dodgy tactics to sell, shock, horror, ice cream !

Then they took the gate away.........

Ancient Observer
14th May 2012, 13:07
Relatives of mine from First Avenue, W on N graduated over the years to Frinton.
They still have a base there, but find it sooooooo common nowadays, they spend most of their time in Goa and Sri Lanka, where at least common doesn't pretend to be posh.

Storminnorm
14th May 2012, 14:31
Oh, How I wish I'd been born Posh.

Did they take the chain off the Ice-Cream seller's bike?

onetrack
14th May 2012, 15:08
I'd like to see the pictures the Luftwaffe never released. The ones where the camera lens was filled with a head-on view of a Spitfire with all guns blazing! :eek:
These pics were never released of course, because they never made it back to the Luftwaffe HQ's! Jolly good show, what-ho, chaps?! :D

Loose rivets
14th May 2012, 17:11
There must still be miles of 'undiscovered' film about. Like the reel in the garden shed that had good quality coverage of the Titanic sailing. The only few minutes in the World!

Then there was the footage of Hitler and his cronies in a Dove-sized aircraft. It took my breath away, just like sitting there with them. (shudder)

Can't show the film, in fact until recently couldn't even mention it, but this is how it came about.

Go down to the blog. I can't link that directly as it seems blog - spot is not allowed.

Telecine transfer | VHS & 8mm film to DVD | Colchester Essex (http://www.telecineguy.com/)