PDA

View Full Version : Exam pass requirements...

timeforclarity
11th May 2012, 16:58
I have all my 14 ATPL passes, but I'm asking for a friend who was curious as to what average grade different airlines may ask for when applying?

I don't know, so over to you guys....

Muchas Gracias.

pudoc
11th May 2012, 19:12
I've never seen a average % requirement except on some mentored cadet schemes they say at least 90% to continue in their course.

I read on here Ryanair want 88% but that's probably an application filter to get though thousands of applications. From all my friends at flight school most of us got at least 90% so there's no reason why airlines shouldn't expect someone to do their best as opposed to 75%.

"One man can do what another can do" is my motto.

I wouldn't worry about it though. Your average mark is over-rated and it's something a student pilot can use to see how well his efforts payed off. It's often used as a tool to wrongly judge other pilots on how great their skills are.

Believe it or not a fATPL I know said I wasn't good enough pilot because my average was 93 and he was better because he has 96. He wasn't joking either. I hope he stays unemployed the b*stard. :}

Slipstream86
11th May 2012, 21:32
I remember seeing a thread on here a while ago with a post from a chief pilot saying any CV's he recieves with exam averages on goes "straight in the bin".

Andy_20
12th May 2012, 14:01
I have see a couple that have minimum averages. I think Flybe has one of around 90%. Cant think at the moment who the other was for, but i think it was 85%.

PUDOC - well said!:D

FlyingStone
12th May 2012, 15:34
Any serious training captain in any normal outfit knows that high scores on ATPL exams doesn't necessarily mean useful knowledge. Having the ability to memorise answers to 20.000 questions won't get you the job - all that matters is general ATPL knowledge on the day of the interview and the ability to think on your feet - and ATPL exams don't even touch the latter subject.

Lightning Mate
12th May 2012, 16:13
Any serious training captain in any normal outfit knows that high scores on ATPL
exams doesn't necessarily mean useful knowledge.

Damn right you are mate!!

Here are some good examples where "database questions" will not help you in any way...........

1. Please explain the Binary Phase Shift Keying architecture as employed in the US GPS system.

2. Explain why, in Europe at least, the FMS does not update its' position from GPS derived coordinates.

3. In GPS, why are six satellites required in order for Receiver Autonomous Integrity Monitoring to function?

4. Why do DME ground insallations have automatic gain control architecture installed?

5. Why is a high bypass ratio turbofan engine more efficient than a turbojet?

6. Explain the Froude formula as applied to propulsive efficiency.

7. Explain the differences in thermal efficiency between a petrol engine and a diesel engine, both at at high manifold pressures and low.

9. What is a squirrel cage motor and where/ why is it used?

10. How does a hang glider achieve longitudinal dynamic stability?

maximus610
12th May 2012, 16:44
LM, great questions!:D

Could anyone try to answer them here? (even partial).

Thanks!

timeforclarity
12th May 2012, 17:03
Flying Stone & Lightning Mate... I agree with you both.

However some airlines have a score below which they will not accept you for an interview, some are official, some are unofficial and some airlines do not measure their entrants this way.

The fact remains that some do, so I'd like people's experience to help a friend out, rather than opinion on whether or not it's a true measure or a good/bad thing.

Thanks guys.

So far: (alleged)

Ryanair 88
FlyBe 90
CTC Wings ATP - no more than 3 exams passed at 2nd attempt

B2N2
16th May 2012, 18:14
Damn right you are mate!!

Here are some good examples where "database questions" will not help you in any way...........

1. Please explain the Binary Phase Shift Keying architecture as employed in the US GPS system.

2. Explain why, in Europe at least, the FMS does not update its' position from GPS derived coordinates.

3. In GPS, why are six satellites required in order for Receiver Autonomous Integrity Monitoring to function?

4. Why do DME ground insallations have automatic gain control architecture installed?

5. Why is a high bypass ratio turbofan engine more efficient than a turbojet?

6. Explain the Froude formula as applied to propulsive efficiency.

7. Explain the differences in thermal efficiency between a petrol engine and a diesel engine, both at at high manifold pressures and low.

9. What is a squirrel cage motor and where/ why is it used?

10. How does a hang glider achieve longitudinal dynamic stability?

Can somebody explain how any of the above questions have even a remote connection to flying an airplane commercially?
No US flag carrier pilot would have the answers to all of the above questions; guess what? Apparently they don't need to either.
Ludicrous....:ugh:

custardpsc
22nd May 2012, 07:12
LM - whats the significance of the high/low manifold pressure in the petrol/diesel question please? 2-4 are all good reasons to be wary of gps - was unaware of those issues - informative bit of research that...

Genghis the Engineer
22nd May 2012, 07:34
Are hang-gliders really in the ATPL syllabus now? They weren't in my CPL syllabus (86% mean, so also-ran!). And is it short or long period longitudinal dynamic stability that they were interested in?

The only good explanation I've ever heard for all this cobblers in the CPL and ATPL written syllabi is that it's basically a test for your ability to read, digest and absorb all of the material in a company's aircraft and operations manuals. Most of the actual material is certainly not useable to most people (although I confess, when working as a university aeronautics lecturer, I have recycled quite a lot of it for baby Engineers, for whom it is often rather more relevant.)

G

Dick Whittingham
22nd May 2012, 09:09
Genghis,

LM carefully doesn't say these are ATPL syllabus subjects. He doesn't even say they are "database" questions. He only says that studying "database" questions will not help wih your understanding of his own list of selected subjects.

Probably true, but not relevant to the ATPL examinations

Dick