PDA

View Full Version : 21 Dec 2012 - Doomsday - Canceled

rgbrock1
11th May 2012, 17:43
We were led to believe that the Mayan calendar ended on 21 Dec 2012 which supposedly signaled the end of time. (And here I was already making preparations for the upcoming Armageddon. Now I'll have to start dismantling my ambush points. Damn it.)

A report to be released in the periodical 'Science' as well as in 'National Geographic' writes about the findings of some researchers who have found some additional Mayan calendars which go far, far beyond 2012. (Actually, for billions of more years.)

So you can all breathe a sigh of relief knowing that the end days are no longer here.

Whew.

con-pilot
11th May 2012, 17:46
Read that I did, now I wonder if all those folks that sold everything to go sit on some mountain in Italy will want their stuff back? :p

vulcanised
11th May 2012, 17:56
Oh no !

I can't face another birthday.

SpringHeeledJack
11th May 2012, 18:07
Oh no !

I can't face another birthday.

Be careful what you wish for, the universe is listening :p

SHJ

Airborne Aircrew
11th May 2012, 18:21
rgb:

You, like them are jumping to a false conclusion. The story is that this and other early calendars give no indication of the end of the world. Thus you are all thinking, we are safe for a bit longer. But you fail to notice that these were "earlier" calendars. This does not take into account that research done by the Mayans after these calendars rendered their longevity irrelevant.

Be afraid... :E

rgbrock1
11th May 2012, 18:34
Thanks for elaborating, airborne.

Back to creating more ambush points then.

Hobo
11th May 2012, 18:38
Jon : How will it be, this end of which you have spoken, Brother Enim?
Omnes: Yes, how will it be?
Peter : Well, it will be, as 'twere a mighty rending in the sky, you see, and the mountains shall sink, you see, and the valleys shall rise, you see, and great shall be the tumult thereof.
Jon : Will the veil of the temple be rent in twain?
Peter : The veil of the temple will be rent in twain about two minutes before we see the sign of the manifest flying beast-head in the sky.
Alan : And will there be a mighty wind, Brother Enim?
Peter : Certainly there will be a mighty wind, if the word of God is anything to go by...
Dudley : And will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the earth?
Peter : No - it will not be quite as mighty as that - that is why we have come up on the mountain, you stupid nit - to be safe from it. Up here on the mountain we shall be safe - safe as houses.
Alan : And what will happen to the houses?
Peter : Well, naturally, the houses will be swept away and the tents of the ungodly with them, and they will all be consuméd by the power of the heavens and on earth - and serve them right!
Alan : And shall we be consumed?
Peter : Con..sum..éd? No, we shall not be consuméd - we shall be up on the mountain here, you see, while millions burn, having a bit of a giggle.
Jon : When will it be, this end of which you have spoken?
Omnes : Aye, when will it be - when will it be?
Peter : In about thirty seconds time, according to the ancient pyramidic scrolls... and my Ingersoll watch.
Jon : Shall we compose ourselves, then?
Peter : Good plan, Brother Pithy. Prepare for the End of the World! Fifteen seconds...
Alan : Have we got the tinned food?
Dudley : Yes.
Peter : Ten seconds...
Jon : And the tin-opener?
Dudley : Yes.
Peter : Five - four - three - two - one - Zero!
Omnes : (Chanting) Now is the end - Perish The World!
A pause

Peter : It was GMT, wasn't it?
Jon : Yes.
Peter : Well, it's not quite the conflagration I'd been banking on. Never mind, lads, same time tomorrow... we must get a winner one day.

Mike X
11th May 2012, 18:42
Back to creating more ambush points then.

Ahem. If it were to be the end, I'd be looking at more bush points, non ?

west lakes
11th May 2012, 19:11
I'll just order drinks then

Hitchhikers Guide - Ok, we'll Meet the Meat, thats Cool - YouTube

(watch it for a while, all becomes clear)

lomapaseo
11th May 2012, 19:33
I wish they would stick to a single theory. I already spent my 401k and was planning on bacchanalian night in December. Where I could chant

"I told you so"

Keeping that date is a good thing for our economy. The planners have already figured out how to make money and I'm willing to spend it on that one night

11Fan
11th May 2012, 19:55
Another reason why it is a good idea not to send the invitations out too early.

Airborne Aircrew
11th May 2012, 21:21
Not sayin' anything, but we're doing Xmas at Thanksgiving... <nudge, nudge>

:}

merlinxx
11th May 2012, 23:57
Will now proceed to purchase rather large amounts of good Malt :E

Talisker, Cragganmore for me and Glenmoramgie for the Ladies, O and some
Pendryn for my Taffia relations)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th May 2012, 00:04
So , why are we supposed to believe a civilisation that failed to predict its own demise over a thousand years ago, instead of modern science?

The Mayans couldn't even get a bit of gardening right.

Next you'll be telling me the Greek Government has a workable economic plan because they invented the word economy.

Sprogget
12th May 2012, 00:17
We were led to believe that the Mayan calendar ended on 21 Dec 2012 which supposedly signaled the end of time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw9K0tI9mxc
:=

FlyingEagle21
12th May 2012, 00:24
There have been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar created it in 45BC. Without the extra day every 4 years, today would be around September 30th, 2013. Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year…so technically the world should have ended around 9 months ago........

KAG
12th May 2012, 03:09
The mayan calandar has much more credibility on pprune than what we might think, seeing all the ppruners who predicted the end of Euro this year in 2012.
Well, they predicted the same last year, not sure what kind of calandar they are following after all...

It has always been the end of the world. the year 1000 was the end of the world in Europe.
The year 1998 was the end of the world because it was 666 times 3.
Thousands of example...
There is always a good reason to say this is the end of the world, because we cannot imagine that the world will continue without us, after our personal death. Well, in fact that's exactly what the world is doing: it goes on.

So for the doomsayers, I have a good news: they are right, there will be the end of the world for each of us. Not at the same time, that's all. It is called life expectancy.
A mortal intelligence (humans) that lives less time than elephants, than tortoise, less than parrots, less than some river fish, less than trees, and speak about the end of the world!???
In fact many animals can live centuries, and they are laughing out loud when they hear human generations after generation speaking about the end of the world and disappearing before everybody else...

That's just to make us forget we live a ridiculous small amount of time and some'd unconsciously like the world to leave with them like some anciant Egyptian king that would bury their whole familly and people with them.

Believing in the end of the world for tomorrow is only showing of our limitless arrogance as an individual or as a specie. (last statement obviously doesn't concern french, the oldest human being who has ever lived on earth being french ;););) )

sisemen
12th May 2012, 04:35
upcoming Armageddon

Armageddon? Who said armageddon?

W0pNeDMowCY#!

lasernigel
12th May 2012, 12:47
BUT......

German who dropped a Mayan skull owned by Himmler will be to blame if world ends on 21-12-12 | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2142456/German-dropped-Mayan-skull-owned-Himmler-blame-world-ends-21-12-12.html)

Oooooops!

Fareastdriver
12th May 2012, 14:28
So the Mayans fashioned a skull and then sent it to Tibet a thousand years ago; presumably by Fedex. Tibet, a Buddist country, kept this Mayan religous artifact under lock and key until a load of nasty Germans, who had no record of settlement or exploitation in Tibet stole it to give to Himmler.

I would need a few bottles of Liebfraumilch to believe that.

con-pilot
12th May 2012, 17:37
So the Mayans fashioned a skull and then sent it to Tibet a thousand years ago; presumably by Fedex. Tibet, a Buddist country, kept this Mayan religous artifact under lock and key until a load of nasty Germans, who had no record of settlement or exploitation in Tibet stole it to give to Himmler.

I would need a few bottles of Liebfraumilch to believe that.

Oh yeah, that's true, they even made a movie about it staring Harrison Ford. :p