PDA

View Full Version : Another Job Rant

Cumulogranite
11th May 2012, 13:08
Time for another rant about the job market.

I have come to the conclusion that after working for nearly 20 years in a haulage role in one form or another, that I have a wealth of experience to pass on to the next generation of logistics staff. Especially with the onset of the driver CPC (in pilot speak; currency training for wagon drivers) Not only that, but trainers roles also seem to be quite secure, something I have not enjoyed in my career for some years!!

Now for the funny bit. In order to carry out this sort of role I need an NVQ assessors A1 qualification. I cant get any training jobs (despite having trained as a driving instructor some years ago) without the A1. And thanks to the system I can't get the qualification without the job. With this in mind I though I would bring it up at my review down the dole office, sorry, Job Centre Plus today. I have identified this as a positive step that I need to overcome to get back into work. There are thousands of training jobs out there if you have this ticket. Now there are tons of government schemes I can go on, a driver CPC for instance (I already hold the managers CPC and have grandad rights to the drivers one until 2014, not exactly a barrier to employment at the moment) I can go on a course for Microsoft Excel (been using it very successfully for bloody years) can I get a course that will give me what I want and get me back into work?? Can I boll*cks!!!!! And working on the premis that you need the job to get the qualification and vice versa, how long until the country has no assessors left?

It is bloody pitiful that the one course that I am certain will get me back to work I cant have as a funded course, but I can do lots of other things that are bugger all use to me. The best part was when I was offered a PTTLS course, one day a week for 10 weeks. That would indeed be useful, not what I want to remove the barrier to work, but useful. Sadly within the 10 week period I will have lost my house, still at least it gets me part way up the hurdle!!!! They even got shirty when I pointed out that I will be in work of some kind before then, perhaps driving for an agency. "we like people to gain long term sustainable work" personally I like to gain long term sustainable mortgage payments!!!!!

And we wonder why this country is ****** (Insert profanity of your choice here)

Rant over!

Sprogget
11th May 2012, 13:26
Put your hand in your pocket & do it off your own bat or get hold of the big logistics providers DHL, Wincanton, Dentressangle etc and offer to be bonded in return for the training. Or get a job in McDonalds & stop whining.

Vankem Spankfaart
11th May 2012, 13:32
This might fuel your rant, but hey-ho!

The way I interpret you point is:
a) You're a fully qualified wagon driver without a job
b) You want to train people to be qualified wagon drivers

I'm left with the obvious question:

If you, with your qualifications, are struggling to find work, why would you want one of the thousands of training jobs to train people for jobs that aren't out there?

V :ugh:

vulcanised
11th May 2012, 14:28
That's a real charmer, Sprogget.

Ignoring his having been unable to pay his mortgage and losing his house, you advise "Put your hand in your pocket", then "get a job in McDonalds & stop whining."

'Public servant' are we?

Dan Gerous
11th May 2012, 15:17
Ah, see you made the mistake of thinking the job centre are there to help you. The job centre are great at offering help and advice on finding work right up to the point you actually ask for help, then all the exscuses of why you can't get help come out.

rusty sparrow
11th May 2012, 17:09
The Job Centre and the PC idiots at the DWP, who will provide benefits to all manner of scroungers and illegal immigrants but little practical help to the working man or woman are, in my experience when out of work, there to make life difficult:

When I got made redundant as an engineer, I was studying for an OU degree to improve my job prospects. This meant that 1. I would be deemed 'not immediately available for work' so had to be careful that I didn't mention it and 2. that any training that I paid for out of my redundancy money was not tax deductible.

Just to make it even worse, if you have the get up and go to start working as a freelance, you may get hammered by IR35 legislation.

Could you become an Islamic hate preacher and get all your bills paid by the state?

Windy Militant
11th May 2012, 17:22
Mid nineties I looked into getting an aircraft engineers licence, similar problem.
I could do the course at Bristol which would give me the ticket but to get it signed off I would need to have a number of hours hands on experience logged during the three years or so the course was run over.

When I spoke to the lecturer that ran the course he reckoned that
even though there was a shortage of engineers there was not a company that would take me on.
Most of the students on the course were foreign and the three local youngsters (IIRC) he told me were on the course were sponsored by companies who received grants from the government which covered a fair amount of the cost. However being over 21 I was not eligible for these grants.
So even if I paid for the course myself it would be useless as no one would employ me without the license being valid.
And no they wouldn't consider bonding.
It's a hell of a catch that catch 22!

Gertrude the Wombat
11th May 2012, 17:38
any training that I paid for out of my redundancy money was not tax deductible
I queried that when I was last on the dole and got back from civil servants in Whitehall a very clear statement that the law is that such things are only tax deductible against earnings from a relevant job, and are not deductible from the tax you pay on benefits (I was paying 40% tax on my dole at the time).

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th May 2012, 17:54
Applied for Instructor job at FE college.
Them: Sorry, you can't apply as you don't have the NVQ Assessor certificate. But seeing your CV, could you lecture our Public Services course? It starts in a week and we don't have a lecturer.
Me: Don't I need the NVQ Assessor for that too?
Them: Don't worry about that.

In other words, they will ignore all the rules when it suits them.

Pelikal
11th May 2012, 17:56
Ok, my turn for a rant. I very rarely post on PP but when I hear comments like:

"Put your hand in your pocket & do it off your own bat or get hold of the big logistics providers DHL, Wincanton, Dentressangle etc and offer to be bonded in return for the training. Or get a job in McDonalds & stop whining."

(from Spoggey) I get really ******* angry. Sprog, have you no understanding whatsoever? Why is everybody on a (in my case minimal) benefit a ******* scrounger? I get so ******* angry when people here post like that. You try getting sense out of the Job Centre, you'll fall flat on your ******* arse. My savings are gone now. I can't afford to be pay for my own re-training and at 56 got bugger all chance of work as I see it.

From Dan, "Ah, see you made the mistake of thinking the job centre are there to help you. The job centre are great at offering help and advice on finding work right up to the point you actually ask for help, then all the exscuses of why you can't get help come out."

100% with you on that one.

Cumo, you have my sincere sympathies.

When I was sixteen and still at school, I did an evening class at Uxbridge tech., an 'O' level course in engineering workshop drawing. I was amazed to find myself amongst a group of mature employed chaps who clearly knew their stuff but didn't have an 'O' level although they had much higher qualifications. They had to go 'back to school' to get their bit of paper to continue in their job!! Amazing really.

seavixen2
11th May 2012, 18:25
I can recall being in a similar situation some years ago,we called it the joke centre then no change there then!

Pelikal
11th May 2012, 19:09
Seavixen2, that gave me a chuckle. You know they are now called Job Centre Plus. I could never work out, and still can't, the meaning of the Plus. So I refer to them as Job Centre Minus.

Now I know. They are Job Centre Plus Joke.

seavixen2
11th May 2012, 19:51
Plus another useless civil servant?

Pelikal
11th May 2012, 22:04
Seavixen2, probably!! Although I have to be a bit fair here. Over the months (and years) :uhoh: of signing on I have got to know a number of staff and they are ok. There are a few who though I just don't want dealings with. They are quite awful.

They are looking after their own jobs and I suppose who can blame them for that. What I hate is the pretence that when I sign on, they go through the system looking for suitable work for me knowing full well that I have already done a far more comprehensive search than they can do in the time. I know the bloody answer even before I walk through the doors of the joke shop.

What makes it worse, is that after a year of receiving JSA we are hoisted over to external contractors who are supposed to increase the chances of finding work. ie the JCP have passed the buck. Have to explain everything to them that I've explained a hundred times before. The organisation that I have been 'assigned' to has a sub-contractor (whom they call a partner) and I have now been assigned to this party! 2 steps away from the job centre. The job centre hadn't even heard of this organisation. :mad:joke.

And for those who may wish to come down on me, I did a nine month stint as a kitchen porter but the Osteo Arthiritis got the better of me. I miss my work in print, top grade craftsmen I was.:{

Seldomfitforpurpose
12th May 2012, 11:32
Ok, my turn for a rant. I very rarely post on PP but when I hear comments like:

"Put your hand in your pocket & do it off your own bat or get hold of the big logistics providers DHL, Wincanton, Dentressangle etc and offer to be bonded in return for the training. Or get a job in McDonalds & stop whining."

(from Spoggey) I get really ******* angry. Sprog, have you no understanding whatsoever? Why is everybody on a (in my case minimal) benefit a ******* scrounger? I get so ******* angry when people here post like that.

This is precisely why the country is ******, we are rapidly becoming a nation of hemp wearing hand wringers who are too quick to blame everyone and everything for anything adverse that happens.

Sprogget has hit the nail firmly and squarely on the head as the OP in a previous whining and wingeing thread

Admits to leaving a safe and secure job.

Admits to joining a company that was "leaking" money.

And now wants us all to join him/her at their own individual wailing wall blaming all and sundry

I am firmly with Sproggy here in advising that "man the **** up and stop bleating like a schoolgirl" is a much better way to approach life :}

Halfbaked_Boy
12th May 2012, 11:49
As an aside, as a sales rep for a plumbers merchants it is unbelievable the amount of kids I see in colleges who are just pi**ing about, taking no interest in what they're doing, most probably there because 'they didn't know what to do', and the government is paying for it, while there are thousands of 22/23 year olds out there (some of whom I know personally) who messed up in their late teens, but are now on the straight and narrow looking to get into the domestic/commercial heating industry but they don't qualify for any grants because they're 'too old'?! And these are the people whose hearts would obviously be in it!

Incredible.

Pelikal
12th May 2012, 12:29
I'm done with this thread now after reading what that chump Seldom wrote. Obviously mates with Sprogg.

WTF is a "hemp wearing hand wringer" anyway?

TZ350
12th May 2012, 15:17
[quote] Pelikal

" I'm done with this thread now after reading what that chump Seldom wrote. Obviously mates with Sprogg. "

" Seldom " is basically a civil servant ( with attitude :rolleyes: ), just ignore it.

radeng
12th May 2012, 15:47
Back in tha late 50' and early 60's when they were called 'Labour Exchanges', the staff were not so kicked about and generally had time to try and find suitable jobs for people. Training courses were also easier to get on without stopping benefits. :(Even in the late 70's they did try for me, but there were very few jobs in my line where employers looked to Job Centres for employees.

Seldomfitforpurpose
12th May 2012, 15:55
[quote] Pelikal

" I'm done with this thread now after reading what that chump Seldom wrote. Obviously mates with Sprogg. "

" Seldom " is basically a civil servant ( with attitude :rolleyes: ), just ignore it.

Only for a couple more weeks miss, only for a couple more weeks. I will still have attitude but will be nobodys servant for the rest of my days :p:p:p

Pelikal
12th May 2012, 17:14
Seldomfitforpurpose, I'm sorry my friend, I hate thread slanging matches and I've never been involved in one (although as an on-looker they can be quite fun, I admit)! Being a job seeker, I picked up on this thread and find much in common with other posters.

Nothing wrong with attitude, that wasn't my comment. I sincerely wish you well if you are soon able to leave this sh!te behind you.:ok:

Mechta
12th May 2012, 17:21
it is unbelievable the amount of kids I see in colleges who are just pi**ing about, taking no interest in what they're doing, most probably there because 'they didn't know what to do', and the government is paying for itThat is because politicians see those kids in colleges as numbers deducted from the number of unemployed, and the number of unemployed is used as a points scoring device between whichever party is in government, and the opposition. The 22-23 year olds who want to better themselves have jobs, albeit not very good ones, so politicians aren't interested in them. Of course a sensible politician would see people bettering themselves as a route to people earning more and being able to pay more tax, thus making the country and the government coffers better off. 'Sensible' and 'politician' are rarely used in the same sentence though.

Until we get politicians who actually start to care about the electorate, rather than just keeping themselves on the gravy train, things won't change.

Going in to a Job Centre is about as depressing as it can get. Whoever dreamt up the system doesn't live in the real world. Even when you do get a job, the system kicks you in the teeth. Your benefits stop immediately, but it could easily be two months before you see a pay packet. No wonder so many people fall victim to loan sharks nd find themselves in spiralling debt.

Mrs Mechta's daughter got a job (from the job centre) in the kitchen at ATC Lasham. She liked the work, but the person running the kitchen insisted on paying her cash in hand, so said daughter had no evidence of what she was being paid to take to the job centre to claim the other allowances to which she should have been entitled. As a result she had to leave the job, at which point the job centre said she had made herself unemployed and denied her unemployment benefit.

Cumulogranite
14th May 2012, 08:47
I am not moaning about my plight, I know how I got here and I know how to get out. I have a medium term plan so I shouldn't lose my house. My point was the dole office, lets forget the PC name game, the bloody dole office, wanted me to take a course that would prevent me from taking a quick job, and didnt like the idea that I would take a spot of agency driving as it isnt long term, bollocks to paying the bills as long as you dont come back in here anytime soon was the attitude!!

Now I know full well I left a secure job to a company leaking money, how was I to know that the leak would become a flood?? But I did get a pay off from the owners, so I do have a small period of grace. So my rant isnt based on the fact that I cant get a job, I can sign on an agency and start driving tomorrow, but I have been there and done it and I dont really want to do it again unless I have to. By joining the training ranks I can give myself future job security. Whilst there are lots of haulage jobs out there they are not conisdered secure by most, even the great Eddie Stobart has made drivers redundant recently!! However there will always be a need for things to be delivered so I figure that by becoming a trainer I will always have a stable job. Simples!!

So I am not moaning about my plight, I am not looking for sympathy per se, I was just getting it off my chest that the government department that is supposed to help me was as much use as an astray on a motorbike!!!

So thanks to those that sympathise and understand my plight, and for the civil servants amongst us, well done, congratulations, you got to keep nice stable jobs with nice stable pensions whilst the rest of us have spent the last 20 years being shafted!!!

Sprogget
14th May 2012, 09:18
I can give myself future job security. Whilst there are lots of haulage jobs out there they are not conisdered secure by most, even the great Eddie Stobart has made drivers redundant recently!! However there will always be a need for things to be delivered so I figure that by becoming a trainer I will always have a stable job. Simples!!I would consider the logical conflict in that. Hauliers lose jobs ergo, less training required. Training HGV drivers is not inherently a safe harbour. It's subject to supply and demand like anything else. Haulage by definition stands next to the factory gate closerthan any other industry. It's fortunes are directly tied to the wider economy.

Gordon17
14th May 2012, 11:57
How ironic that when I viewed this thread while not logged on, the advert below was "Need a New Job? Train as a Plumber!"

Cumulogranite
15th May 2012, 08:58
I cant train as a plumber, I dont speak Polish!!

waveskimmer
15th May 2012, 10:25
In which case,would you need to train? :E

gingernut
15th May 2012, 20:49
Did a "car boot" at the weekend, earned a tidy few quid, sat in the sunshine for a few hours and had a ball.......

"2 quid? why spoil a friendship for 2.50?"

Actually 'earnt more than my day to day "professional" job.:)

in the words of me old mate dave....ITS MARKET DAY

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/gingernut123/dave.jpg

http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/gingernut123/dave.jpg