PDA

View Full Version : The sands of time...

Cacophonix
11th May 2012, 08:55
This story of the discovery of this partially preserved Kittyhawk, out in the Sahara brought me out in goose bumps. Poor Dennis Copping.

WWII plane found frozen in time deep in the Sahara - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/9257499/WWII-plane-found-frozen-in-time-deep-in-the-Sahara.html)

The almost perfectly preserved Kittyhawk P-40 is an aviation time capsule that has remained unseen and untouched since it came down in the Sahara in June 1942.

It is thought the pilot survived the crash and initially used his parachute for shelter before making a desperate and futile attempt to reach civilisation by walking out of the desert.

The RAF airman, believed to have been Flight Sergeant Dennis Copping, 24, was never seen again.

The single-seater fighter plane was discovered by chance by Polish oil company worker Jakub Perka exploring a remote region of the Western Desert in Egypt.

Time I brushed up on navigating by dead reckoning again.

Caco

UniFoxOs
11th May 2012, 09:00
Sounds like the start of a Clive Cussler story. Was the pilot carrying Nazi gold, the secrets of the lost ark, or a document proving Jesus was a Muslim?

Cheers
UFO

stuckgear
11th May 2012, 09:44
for you Caco...

America- Horse With No Name - YouTube

TWT
11th May 2012, 09:51
Another Pprune thread:

http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/483077-p-40-found-sahara-desert.html

Worrals in the wilds
11th May 2012, 11:58
Awful position to be in. :sad:

IMO without having been in a desert you can't appreciate the terror. There's nothing but dirt and sky to the horizon. People who are born to it don't seem to get fazed, but if you're not...

If you have a nicely air conditioned 4WD with good maps, sat phone, compass, a week's water / provisions and someone at home ready to alert the authorities should you fail to emerge out the other side (and repeatedly tell you how nuts you are at ten dollars a call on the satphone :\), you can also appreciate the peace and the beauty. However, at the core; it's still terrifying. The sky just beats you down to the ground and shows you how irrelevant you really are. You kick shells on the ground and realise they're still where they were left when the inland sea dried up 65 million years ago. You resist the urge to put them back where they were because that would be silly. You end up putting them back anyway.

Without the backup it must have been awful, yet he still tried. Poor man.

On a lighter note;
Sounds like the start of a Clive Cussler story.Ooh, I'm guilty of them. :ok:
They're just so much fun; everyone's too busy whizzing around in personal submarines finding the bad guys to worry about boring emotional stuff.

Cacophonix
11th May 2012, 12:09
A non fictional version of the predicament in that film (the original) "The Flight of the Phoenix".

Happened for real to this fellah on flight from Cape Town to London but he was near the coast and knew roughly how far he was from a town south of him and eked his meagre water rations out (met some Touaregs who helped him) and he walked out, survived and recovered his plane later.

The Pilot Frame (http://users.iafrica.com/l/le/leehall/frames/vicsmith_frame.htm)

In 1932, flying his own modified Gipsy II Moth ZS-ADB, Victor Smith made an attempt on the existing Cape To Britain air speed record. 600 miles north of Mossamedes (now called Namibe) he ran into a tropical storm.

For an hour and a quarter he was subjected to extreme turbulence and buffeting. This unfortunately damaged his fuel system, causing it to leak.
As a result he was forced to make an emergency landing in the Sahara, where he had the extraordinary experience of being befriended by a tribe of Touaregs.

Although his aircraft was undamaged and he was able to proceed after refuelling, the record was now beyond reach.

St Exupery also ditched in the desert a couple of times (too many times some of have said).

Caco

handsfree
11th May 2012, 13:15
Alternatively .....

You kick shells on the ground and realise they're still where they were left when

...... Rommel retreated and they're still live. :E

Worrals in the wilds
11th May 2012, 13:46
Cute. :ok:
I should have said seashells.

Cacophonix
11th May 2012, 14:44
for you Caco...

Stuckgear I actually hitch hiked up through the Karoo in summer with that album in vinyl for my girlfriend (later wife and now ex wife). The album buckled in the heat and was unplayable but she gave me an A for effort and still has the buckled version. Women can be funny that way! ;)

Caco

Tableview
11th May 2012, 16:01
When I was young, foolish, in love, and fit, I walked over the Soutspansberg Mountains, emulating Joseph Mahoney's journey (Caco will know who I mean, I think!) ending up in Beit Bridge from where I caught a bus to Bulawayo to see my then girlfriend. In my pack, I had two audio cassettes of Rodriguez (Cold Fact and After the Fact). They were, of course, totally unplayable after the long sticky sweaty journey.

Qh-99_1k3mE
http://briancurrin.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/rodriguez-cold-fact.jpg?w=604http://www.sugarman.org/after_the_fact_2002.jpg

What a time it was ..............!

DVLS8ny0HUU

unstable load
19th May 2012, 07:44
Tableview,
I saw him live at the 3Arts in Cape Town. He was a pissed as a newt and made a total ass of himself, but there were flashes of the old magic, too.

Tableview
19th May 2012, 08:16
Yep, he enjoys his booze and more. I've seen him live in Joeys at the Bassline, and London, and I've met him in Wilderness where his daughter lives, or lived. I went to a concert he gave in Rome about three years ago, and because I'd had the good fortune to bump into a professional photographer in the bar before the show, I got a back stage pass. We were invited to join him, his daughter Regan, and his little entourage and went off to a burger bar where we all sat chatting and drinking until about 4 in the morning. A memorable night. I happened to be sitting next to an attractive Italian girl whom he fancied. After asking me if she was with me (she wasn't) he then went for it. I don't know if he succeeded but good luck to him and top marks for trying. He's brilliant!

There's a lot of information about him on SugarMan.org is the Official Website for Singer Songwriter Sixto Rodriguez from Detroit (http://www.sugarman.org), and there's a film coming out about him soon, called 'Searching for Sugar Man. A fascinating story.

Tableview
17th Aug 2012, 06:05
The Rodriguez film is now on release in the UK, only a few dates and venues.

It's called Searching for Sugar Man : Searching for Sugar Man (2012) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2125608/)

It took me a fair while searching to find out where it's on, but the dates and venues can be found here :
Searching for Sugar Man | UK Cinema Release Date (http://www.filmdates.co.uk/films/3964-searching-for-sugar-man/)

By a stroke of good fortune, I'm going to be near one of the UK venues next week and look forward to seeing this.

Capetonian
5th Jun 2013, 21:51
Friends of mine went to see Rodriguez's show last night in Paris. To say they were sadly disappointed would be an understatement and the newspaper reviews confirmed that their view was shared by many. Maybe the abysmal performance was a one off, maybe he's past it, but I feel that since the success of the film he is being exploited.

I'm glad I had the opportunities to see and hear him at his brilliant best, I will treasure those memories, and his albums, and be ever thankful that I didn't have to witness last night's spectacle. I only hope the rest of his tour goes better.

Milo Minderbinder
6th Jun 2013, 21:22
I always associate him with the kind of low-grade background muzaak beloved of airports, lifts, poncy hotel lobbies and overpriced nouvelle crap restaurants

Capetonian
6th Jun 2013, 21:57
I always associate him with the kind of low-grade background muzaak beloved of airports, lifts, poncy hotel lobbies and overpriced nouvelle crap restaurants

If you're referring to the Rodriguez I mean, I can only assume you're confusing him with someone else.

Milo Minderbinder
6th Jun 2013, 22:09
same guy, just a rather different view of him than you have

Capetonian
7th Jun 2013, 10:52
I have never heard his music, or anything remotely similar to it, used in the type of context you mention. I wish it were, it would be infinitely better than the mindless drivel we are assaulted with in shops, airports, lifts, etc.