PDA

View Full Version : Aeronautical/ Aerospace Engineering Top Up Degree

rahalroxz
10th May 2012, 15:02
Hi everyone
I've almost completed studying Aircraft maintenance Engineering in a Part 147 approved organization in UK. I have all 13 B1 modules and A320 type training and 10 weeks OJT in Thomas Cook Airways.
Since I have 10 years to fulfill my 2 years work experience and get the licence, i thought of doing a top up degree soon after this. Can anybody please tell me some good universities to obtain a Aeronautical/Aerospace top up degree ???
Also I would love to go Australia for the top up ...anybody know about any uni in Aussie for that ??? ahhh... what about the Emirates Aviation College ?? any good ?
Thanks in advance mates

flame_bringer
10th May 2012, 15:59
My advice is find a job as a fitter in an airline that operates 320s otherwise your type training will expire in 3 years if you haven't worked on the aircraft.
Gain some experience then do the top up degree on distance studies or perhaps apply for an unpaid leave and do it.
The top up degree won't give you any credit in the maintenance industry as it's an aircraft designing credit, so unless you think of a career change from maintenance to designing I'd say don't bother yourself with it.

Genghis the Engineer
10th May 2012, 16:27
I think that flamebringer is right. Aero-eng is a totally different field to maintenance engineering, and these top-ups are of little value as a design office would quite rightly regard you as a maintainer who has no real academic background, nor enough maintenance experience for them to be able to use.

You'd be better off looking to something like a management degree if you want to progress your career in the coming years.

If you want to switch to design, at the stage you're at, you'd be better off building up some years of real maintenance experience, get a maths qualification, then look to a structured way into an MSc.

Either way, real on-the-job experience is what you really need, not additional bits of paper.

I'm doing some work with Emirates College at the moment - they look to be good chaps and well resourced, but the same still applies.

G

rahalroxz
10th May 2012, 19:28
a big thanks for both of you :)

I didn't know about the expiry of my type training after 3 years. If i gain experience of 3 years in the 320, it won't expire ever again? or do I have to keep on track with 320 forever to keep my rating alive?

flame_bringer
10th May 2012, 19:41
You must keep on track with it, if you stop working on it for 3 years it expires.
Plus most airlines will require you to do a continuation course annualy to keep your approval valid.

spannersatcx
10th May 2012, 21:16
Please provide a document that states a type course expires after 3 years.

flame_bringer
10th May 2012, 21:54
Sorry I mixed up actually its the whole license which expires in 3 years if the privilidges are not practised and not the type rate.
I mixed up the ukcaa law with our company procedures.
Thanks spannerstacx and I would like to apologize to the OP.

BluFin
11th May 2012, 13:41
Spanners,
SEE
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:298:0001:0124:EN:PDF

Appendix III, Rolls out the 1st Aug 2012, The AMC is also up on the EASA web Site

rahalroxz
11th May 2012, 15:59
no problem :)
ok a licence may expire if privileges are not used. however i haven't got a licence yet. have to complete 2 years live aircraft maintenance within 10 years to obtain the B1 . so it wont affect me yeah ?

airlineguy1980
23rd May 2012, 03:56
Your type course do expire in 2 years if you don't include in your license.as you have no license at the moment.get one.then do degree