PDA

View Full Version : First flights

BeauMan
27th Dec 2001, 14:40
On another thread (Flying the Moth), someone mentioned 5 AEF, which was the AEF I flew with as an Air Cadet back in the 80's. This got me thinking, and as this is a nostalgia forum, I hope you don't mind me sharing a little bit of personal nostalgia with everyone:

As a wet-behind-the-ears little Air Cadet back in 1982, on my first camp at RAF Manston, I had my first ever flight. It was in Chipmunk WB569, lasted for 25 minutes, and "I had control" at 2000 feet overhead Dover.

At the end of the camp, our guest of honour for the final parade was none other than (the now late) Bob Stanford Tuck, who strolled along the front row, briefly inspecting us, and spotting possibly the tiniest Air Cadet in existence at that time, he stopped in front of me and asked if I had enjoyed the week. Time dulls the memory slightly, but as a kid with high hopes of becoming a fighter pilot one day, I was absolutely awestruck buy this legendary figure who also turned out to be a very nice, modest and genuine man.

Sadly, Bob Stanford Tuck passed away some years ago, but I'm delighted to say that a few months ago, in Hangar 2 at Duxford, I found WB569 again, and apparently she's still flying after all these years. It's just one of those little things in life which make me smile, and I'm wondering whether anyone else has also had a chance encounter with their first aircraft?

Lowtimer
28th Dec 2001, 15:10
I never noted the serials of my AEF Chipmunk rides - our Combined Cadet Force "record of service" book only accommodated type, location and date for powered flying. But whenever I see a Slingsby T-31, a.k.a. Kirkby Cadet Mk.III, my heart quickens in case it's either XE800 or WT901, the two gliders upon which I did my ab initio training to solo at 622 GS, RAF Upavon. Never seen either of them since, but I have seen a number of close cousins.

TRIMTRABB
1st Jan 2002, 14:20
You've prompted me to dig out my own ATC record of service book and I'll be keeping a look out for the Chippies and ventures now....
As for your encounter with Stanford Tuck, I still can't get that 'Some Mothers Do 'ave 'Em' scene out of my mind whenever anyone mentions his name! Anyway, I suppose anything that keeps their memories alive is OK.....

[ 01 January 2002: Message edited by: TRIMTRABB ]</p>

SKYYACHT
3rd Jan 2002, 13:29
First ever flight at RAF West Malling, 14/10/72 - Cadet MkIII Serial No. WB940....seem to recall 1500 feet on the launch.....crystal clear very cold day. To see Most of London basking in a golden hue was magical. West Malling was being used as accomodation for Ugandan Asians, and many of them stood watching as we flew. Next time was in DHC-1 Chipmunk at AEF Hamble - WP781. I dont know whether the dear old lady still flies. I do recall doing Aerobatics over Parkhurst Prison on the Isle of Wight, and slow turns over the old HMS Ark Royal. I was hooked.....from there, it was Gliding Proficiency at 615VGS ar RAF Kenley, and then staff for a brief period at 615VGS. Then it was power, twins, IMCs etc, but nothing will ever beat that first flight. So, Bernard Kirby, if you are out there - Thanks! (from the 12 year old kid you thrilled all those years ago.)