PDA

View Full Version : Monrovia / Liberia

His dudeness
9th May 2012, 20:20
Anyone been there lately?

My superiors want to go there in september....

jetopa
10th May 2012, 07:55
Much better than ist used to be a couple of years ago, I'd assume. PM me, if you like.

hawker750
10th May 2012, 14:31
Go there quite oten. Do not be tempted to use Spriggs Airport in town, despite claims they have "smoothed" the runway only about half is useable. The road from Roberts into town is much beter than it used to be but choose a hotel that is in town but close to the intersection with the airport road. If not the 45 minutes from Roberts into town turns into 2 1/2 hours. Will let you know the name of the one we use. Ealy morning fog and a dodgy G/S on the ILS needs watching. On a scale of 0-10 I would put the whole experience at 5, there are far worse in Africa. Needless to say take your dollars measured in inches thick and take lots of small notes, al bills including hotel alwayscome to $401 or $801 in the hope you have no change. Have the mobile no. of a reliable (very religous) taxi driver who has never failed to be there upon our arrival. Only catering is ex hotels so best take a good hostie with you. (You can have ours for a small fee!) she likes it there.

His dudeness
11th May 2012, 07:39
You can have ours for a small fee!

Does she know about your generous offer ? :D :O

Unfortunately boss does not want to have a hostie, so its me - or my colleague - strapping on the banana belt and head backwards into the lions den...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b1/Baker_Banana.jpg/220px-Baker_Banana.jpg

(I admit that my 'female roundings' are a different and not as nice as hers...)

One of our board members was kidnapped there right at the airport a few years ago - that story made we wonder weather I should take chances...

Thanks a lot for the info so far!

hawker750
11th May 2012, 15:22
I really cannot undestand why your boss does not want a hostie. For safety reasons I do not think it is correct for a pilot to be pouring coffee in the cabin, especially in Africa when you should be concentrating on your job. Any way a good hostie will save you $$$$$$$$$$$$, no more €300 trays of sandwiches in Nice, down to the supermaket for decent food.
When we quote charter prices, if the client comes back and says they do not want a hostie and could we requote; we do and add £500. They normally take the hostie.

His dudeness
11th May 2012, 18:23
Charter is different... some company cultures are just so, that an air hostess would be considered to be ... an unnecessary luxury. Especially in here in Germany. Its just my guess that this is the reasoning behind it.
Your points are all valid IMO.

BTW, any knowledge of Sierra Leone? Another trip there has just popped up...

hawker750
12th May 2012, 09:34
Yes, go to Freetown a lot. use Jetex or similar to get your landing permit and handling If you do not and try to do it yourself you will find the there "is no room at the hotel". The only hotel is the Hotel Lungi at the airport or you have to take a boat to town which is a pain. Expensive. For a 36 hour stay budget $4,000 for landing, handling, permit costs, supervision, chocks, navigation etc etc etc. lav service is a bucket at $350.
No catering available so suggest you get your ultra efficient hostie to arrange long life meals etc ex Europe and take them in a cold bag to the hotel.

cldrvr
12th May 2012, 11:49
It's been a few years since I have been to Freetown, Boat service? What happened to that heli service they used to have in the old Russian troop transports?

Everything else I agree with H750, especially the value of a good cabin attendant when going to places off the beaten track.

His dudeness
14th May 2012, 19:03
Another thing just came up:

Luanda and Lobito in Angola.

can you shed some light on these for me? Lobito is an air base I think and will have no immigration/customs, correct?

Thanks!

hawker750
15th May 2012, 16:36
would you like me to run your ops department for you?:)

His dudeness
15th May 2012, 20:30
Sure, why not? :ok:

hawker750
22nd May 2012, 10:06
Spriggs

I have PM'd you but not sure if I did it correctly!
Just check the notam for Spriggs, that will probably put your people off going there!

"scattered depressions on runway between TWY intersections. Pilots to exercise caution during T/O and landing." I guess for "scattered depressions" read "f.... ing big holes" and unfortnately the TWY intersections are half way down the runway!!

Good luck

hawker750
22nd May 2012, 10:10
Another thing about Liberia. Do not be tempted to change money into local dollars. You will need a wheel barrow to carry it and if you try and use it the locals will say they want the Uncle Sam variety.

Trim Stab
22nd May 2012, 12:53
I concur with an earlier post - get flight support from Jetex. If you don't, you will end up having to pay a fortune in bribes.

His dudeness
22nd May 2012, 14:35
HAWKER, got the PM.

Many thanks.

Apparently, according to the handling that only a few minutes ago answered (asked them 3 days ago), the 'airport is closed and undergoing renovation'.

Thats the answer I wanted, so we not going there...

h_d

hawker750
22nd May 2012, 15:21
Another point:
Unless you have a landing permit for your diversion airport you will not be allowed to land. They will even switch the landing lights out on you!! Yes, believe me. The nearest airport you can land at "sans permit" is Dakar, so fuel plan accordingly.

His dudeness
22nd May 2012, 16:09
Wow. And I thought I´ve heard it all or at least almost all...

Thanks. I´ll plan fuel accordingly.

hawker750
23rd May 2012, 13:36
Last of all, do not go tech there. Any spares sent in will probably go missing and any engineers sent down on schedule will need a visa.
Want to borrow one of my old Hawkers for peace of mind?;)

His dudeness
23rd May 2012, 20:42
Thanks for the kind offer. :D

If it be my decision...sure. :)

I think I`ll take some highspeed tape along, 'my' Cessna ain´t hightech, so...