PDA

View Full Version : Hypertension

captainsmiffy
9th May 2012, 18:47
Have just done the annual medical out in the UAE and was diagnosed 'pre-hypertensive' at 142/98 with a 24 hour monitor. SWMBO is a nurse and said that this wasnt outrageous given my age but am grounded pending it being controlled. This is in hand and am on Atacand (16mg) to bring it down, which seems to be working fairly well and am now 124/72. Presumably future treatment will reduce the dose to a maintenance level and will I be able to come off of the drug totally in the future? Am losing weight (5.6lb in the last month) by exercising and simply cutting out carbs totally from my evening meal. I Understand that weight loss goes hand in hand with a BP drop but how much weight will need to be shed in order to make an appreciable BP reduction without the drug? The cardiologist who did the 24 hour monitor reckoned that I should lose 20kg, which rather frightened/disillusioned me (worrying in its own right as am also an amateur magician!) as I weighed in at 88 kg for the medical, so we are talking almost 25% of my body weight! Dont you just love doctors?!! On the plus side (am a 'glass half-full' sort of a guy - which is probably why my weight is an issue!) I have actually found that briskly walking on the treadmill to be ok for the first time in my life so long as the Beatles are playing loudly in the background.....why couldnt the RAF Flt Sgt at Cranwell realise this?

Can I expect normal service to resume shortly vis a vis the medical or do I have to fear for my licence, assuming the weight loss continuing etc? In other words, can I continue with my career with a controlled hypertension with few worries? All else, blood, heart, lungs etc are 100% ok.

gingernut
9th May 2012, 19:59
On the face of it, there isn't too worrying going on here, other than a wake up call.

I'm surprised they've grounded you, I'm guessing the average diastolic reading has twitched them. (This isn't the same as the reading achieved in front of the man with the white coat.)

Aged under 40 may also twitch them, in case there's an underlying cause, but this is usually unfounded.

The definative answers are here.... Hypertension (http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG127)

How old are you, and which country was the medical performed?

captainsmiffy
10th May 2012, 06:05
Gingernut, thanks for the reply. Am 48 and the medical was conducted by a british doctor to UAE rules - whereby 2 weeks off with this type of medication is mandatory. My flying rate has been quite low on the 380 and am needing to fly more than I am, both for pay and continuity so this enforced 'holiday' is unwelcome right now! Might change my tune in a year or two! Mind you, the beaches are quite pleasant......

gingernut
10th May 2012, 07:21
at 48, hypertension is almost as normal as having grey hair!

Good luck, keep us informed for future reference :-)