PDA

View Full Version : PPL(h) --> IR ME(H) --> CPL(H)

ATPMBA
9th May 2012, 14:20
I have an FAA CPL(H) and IR(H). I would like to convert to JAA (or is it EASA?).

If I go the path of PPL(H), ME type rating, IR ME (IR Conversion course) and at a later time do a CPL(H) will I have commercial privileges of the ME IR(H)?

Thanks guys.

paco
9th May 2012, 14:31
Yes, when you get the CPL(H).

Your current IR(H) can be converted with training as required I believe.

Phil

ATPMBA
9th May 2012, 14:40
Thanks Phil,

And do I need a first time ME type ground school?

Torquetalk
9th May 2012, 15:10
ATPMBA

PPL-IR-CPL is a typical FAA route. It tends not to be done like that in Europe for a variety of reasons, cost and the kind of IR courses on offer being big amongst them.

If you already hold CPL(H) and IR(H) you need to look the JAR-FCL 2 licensing requirements for conversion. Depending on experience, you may only require a medical and pre-check ride flight (170A) plus check ride for the CPL (but the FTO will probably require/recommend that you do some hours for evaluation and differences training purposes. The IR is a different matter: there are stipulated minumums for conversion as I recall (10ME/15SE hours flight training + FTSD time, plus skills test?).

If you are used to the FAA system and wish/need to switch, be prepared for a LOT more licensing hurdles and costs.

Doing a ME TR and ME IR is hideously expensive. No doubt you have a plan, but I wouldn't get EASA ME TR and ME IR(H) qualified without one: crazy money for short shelf life qualifications unless you are actively flying for an operator who will keep the priviledges current.

TT

paco
9th May 2012, 17:02
I believe you will need ground school for first time ME - best talk to a flight school about that - we only deal with theoretical knowledge :)

Phil