PDA

View Full Version : VE Day?

tony draper
9th May 2012, 06:41
One noted yesterday various European Capitals held ceremonies or parades,the UK? norra sausage not even a mention on the news.
Ministry of truth playing it down?
:)

Buster Hyman
9th May 2012, 06:55
But when you break it all down...did the UK really win?

ORAC
9th May 2012, 07:23
I worked on a NATO project in Paris for 3 years and was once asked by a French Colonel, on VE day, why we the British did not have it as a Public Holiday, like the French.

I replied that if we took a day off for every time we'd won a war, we'd never get any work done.

He never raised the subject again........ :E

Tableview
9th May 2012, 08:03
I replied that if we took a day off for every time we'd won a war, we'd never get any work done.

Brilliant!

Tankertrashnav
9th May 2012, 16:01
Actually here in Helston on the 8th May the whole town was decorated with flowers and there was dancing in the streets behind the town band from morning to evening, a fair, stalls and general overindulgence in food and drink to all hours.

Mind you it was also Helston Flora Day!

rgbrock1
9th May 2012, 16:07
Nothing, that I noted, in the medja here in the U.S. about it.
I guess their attention is being take up by who the possible winner of American Idol will be. Much more important you know.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/11/Allied_army_positions_on_10_May_1945.png/800px-Allied_army_positions_on_10_May_1945.png

Loki
9th May 2012, 17:12
At least the Russians make a fuss (today in Moscow)

ryNzmstsakg

tony draper
9th May 2012, 17:42
At least Ivan has given medals to our Artic Convoy chaps, those of them that are left that is, which is more than our lot have done.
The post war powers that be treated the Merchant Navy almost as shoddily as they treated Bomber Command.
:(

con-pilot
9th May 2012, 18:55
Well Loki at least more Russians turned out for VE Day than for Putin's Inauguration Motorcade.

You're not going to believe this, nobody showed up, the streets of Moscow were completely empty.

All I can say after viewing this is, WTF.

Hang on, let me try this again.

Okay, try this one.

You Have To See Vladimir Putin's Completely Ridiculous Inauguration Motorcade - Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/vladimir-putin-inauguration-motorcade-2012-5#ixzz1uFbD4rwM)

Loki
9th May 2012, 19:56
Somewhat off topic there methinks

My point was that of all the allies, it is the russians who make the most of the end of the war....marking it as a victory, no namby pamby weasel words about reconciliation etc.

Mind you, it was them who suffered the most even if a degree of that was down to incompetence and simply not caring about losses the way the rest of us did.

I would not for one moment advocate the yearly parades held in Russian cities (with an army which in its entirety would fit inside Wembley stadium, that's not possible anyway). However, given the appropriate ceremony we give Armistice Day, surely VE day should have official recognition.

con-pilot
9th May 2012, 20:09
Somewhat off topic, true, but it shows just how little has changed in Russia since the end of WWII. Can you imagine the outrage if in London or Washington D.C. if the PM or President completely cleared huge areas of those two cities, for a personal motorcade?

The former Soviet Union carried the majority of the burden of the European Theater of War in World War II, the loss of civilian life in the USSR was more than all the countries in Europe combined and then some.

That's why the differences of your video and the one I posted is so dramatic, the Russian people have not forgotten the sacrifices their country men and women made in World War II. Therefore, if the new leader of their country does not want them on the streets as he passed in his motorcade, they must not care.

But I'd like to see Putin try to keep them, the Russian people, off the streets on VE day.

gingernut
9th May 2012, 20:33
I got a cake !

Remember my Nana always reminded me of the importance of this day.

Apart from it being my birthday.:)

G-CPTN
9th May 2012, 22:00
Putin had a Maybach 72 rather than a ZIL.

Tankertrashnav
10th May 2012, 09:18
The post war powers that be treated the Merchant Navy almost as shoddily as they treated Bomber Command.
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gif

Personally I would say the Merchant Navy had much worse treatment than Bomber Command, or indeed any of the armed forces. Both received the appropriate campaign stars (and Bomber Command did as well in the medal stakes as anybody else).

However, at least if you were shot down over Germany and became a POW you continued to be paid. As I am sure Drapes knows (but others may not) a merchant seaman's pay stopped the day his ship was sunk. The worst case I heard of was a merchant seaman who was plucked half frozen from the Arctic and taken to Murmansk where a Russian surgeon amputated one of his frostbitten legs. On his eventual return home to Glasgow, instead of a welcome on the mat he found an overdue income tax demand.

MagnusP
10th May 2012, 09:38
Putin had a Maybach 72

Simon Cowell has a Maybach. Says it all, really. :hmm:

radeng
10th May 2012, 10:09
There's a memorial on the outskirts of Moscow that marks the nearest the German army got. When I was there a few years ago, as we drove by each day, you could see people, mainly old women, but a few young people, laying flowers.

OFSO
10th May 2012, 11:41
Jersey CI celebrated Liberation Day with a festivities.

Strangely enough, allthough it was a public holiday, the richest man living on the island refused to allow his staff a day off work, which shows all he cares about it.

OFSO
10th May 2012, 11:43
or President completely cleared huge areas of those two cities, for a personal motorcade?

The last time Dubya came to London, he did, and there was.

Lon More
10th May 2012, 11:52
The last time Dubya came to London, he did, and there was.
Same thing happened when the OYUS flew into Maastricht, Airfield closed entirely. Snoiers on the rooftops, security checks everywhere. Took about 15 minutes longer to get into work.

Almost as bad as when the Tour de France came through !!

radeng
10th May 2012, 13:01
Why do they happily allow these events, which cause chaos at worst and inconvenience at best, plus financial losses, to the people who aren't that interested anyway?

It would make far more sense for these big meetings to be held on a nice, normally mothballed airbase somewhere, where the public wouldn't be inconvenienced. This NATO thing in Chicago in a week or so has led to some tourist attractions being shut: are the US gummint going to recompense the owners for loss of income?

rgbrock1
10th May 2012, 13:07
con-pilot wrote:

Can you imagine the outrage if in London or Washington D.C. if the PM or President completely cleared huge areas of those two cities, for a personal motorcade?Um, the last time He showed up here in NYC - last March I believe - the entire city was basically shut down during his arrival and departure.

The citizens of Gotham City were not amused. Shutting down of the city is usually reserved for much bigger and better things than the arrival of Him. Such as when the Yankees win the World Series or the NY Giants win the Super Bowl. Those things are worth shutting the city down for. Not Him.

PukinDog
10th May 2012, 13:55
Loki

Mind you, it was them who suffered the most...

Mind you, it was them who helped start the war in the first place by co-invading Poland.

Loki
10th May 2012, 14:13
True, but they were also misbehaving themselves in Finland around the same time, and generally being nice to Herr Hitler......again, somewhat off topic. The point I made the first time was that they alone amongst the allies choose to mark the victory to any great extent..

An earlier post talks of people marking the memorial at the outskirts of Moscow with flowers. Another custom, prevalent in soviet times was for newly married couples to visit the local war memorial to pay their respects immediately after their ceremony. I don't know if this is still done (anyone?), but strikes me as a nice touch.

one11
10th May 2012, 14:39
Another custom, prevalent in soviet times was for newly married couples to visit the local war memorial to pay their respects immediately after their ceremony. I don't know if this is still done (anyone?), but strikes me as a nice touch.

Certainly still being practised at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier by the Kremlin in March this year and i was told that the War Museum & Memorial in Victory Park Moscow is another site for the same custom.

OFSO
10th May 2012, 14:46
But everbody invades Poland ! As their national anthem says: Not yet is Poland lost, which must be about the most negative first line of a national anthem anywhere.....

rgbrock1
10th May 2012, 14:46
I thought everybody invades France? And takes over in about 1 week.

radeng
10th May 2012, 15:18
The French did kick the people from Britain out in the 13th century. Note that the people from Britain were descended from the Normans, who in any case, were Vikings who settled in France.....

rgbrock1
10th May 2012, 15:20
Ah, yes they did do that in the 13th century didn't they. I had forgotten about that. Thus we have the final tally:

World: 33,431 France: 1