PDA

View Full Version : 4 engine heavy over CVT today

jabird
8th May 2012, 22:24
Did anyone else notice a rather large 4 engined aircraft which passed over CVT today at around 16:40?

I would guess it was an Antonov of some description, freight rather than military, at first I was thinking 747-SP, but the wings were too high for that.

It was at a relatively low altitude but well above CVT's runways and too large - I would guess it came from EMA, but it could have been BHX, heading roughly south.

Sorry can't be more specific, was on the move at the time.

SpringHeeledJack
9th May 2012, 05:14
I've no idea, but there seems to be a steady stream of AN-12's that frequent BHX and other midlands airfields that then head SW and one of the 'regulars' would fit in with the timings of your observation.

SHJ

srobarts
9th May 2012, 07:08
According to this site a C-17 departed Birmingham at 16:32
http://bhxmovements.********.co.uk/

mattjwood
9th May 2012, 07:33
It certainly was the C-17 you would have seen. it departed in a North Westerly direction (33)? and comes back round on itself heading towards Leamington and towards that way.

I was at work at the time ( work at the end of the runway! ) and this was most certainly the 4 engined beast you saw!

Matt

jabird
10th May 2012, 01:47
Yes, that's the one - military then, but not in combat fatigues.

Think I have actually seen one at BHX before.

Any ideas what it's doing there?

srobarts
10th May 2012, 07:25
Not sure, but I have seen mention in the press at an earlier date that they flew seriously injured servicemen from Afghanistan direct to Birmingham for transfer to Selly Oak Hospital.

diginagain
10th May 2012, 08:52
There being something of a war taking place at present, casualties are being flown in to BHX for onward transfer to QEH for treatment.