PDA

View Full Version : CTC Wings - ''Flybe Wings'' pilot course

Shane C
8th May 2012, 02:17
Hi all, this is my first post on this site so hello :)

I know this type of topic has been talked over many and many times. I have tried the search button but haven't found anything really.

I'm applying for the Flybe course at the moment, just about to send the application form off actually but was just wondering, to those who have been down this road with CTC, OAA or the forces, what is part one of the selection process and the PILAPT test really like??

I've looked over it and done my research on various websites, it looks impossible!! :sad:
I know there are three parts to get through with CTC and then the candidate goes for an interview with Flybe.
I currently don't have the £65k in place but was hoping BBVA can help with that!

Now, I would be an idiot not to assume that hundreds of candidates will applying for the same position that I am and that CTC and Flybe can take their pick but when I was in school, I didn't achieve the highest grades, barely passes but got the desired grades for the college I wanted to get in to and knuckled down in and achieved a BTEC First diploma in motor sport engineering with an overall grade merit and a distinction in applied Maths and Science.

I also started my PPL last year and have 7.7 hours dual on a Cessna C150 to date based at Bournemouth Intl.
Realistically, I am still going to apply but, would you think the selection team would be interested in me?

After all, I have an engineering background, flight experience and ALOT of customer service experience but my mental aptitude is a bit rusty :sad: Lol.

Joe86
8th May 2012, 06:47
Just apply... You have nothing to lose!

I will be applying next year (should havd saved the money by then).

Good luck!

Shane C
8th May 2012, 14:25
Ok thanks spicejetter and Joe, I'm going to go for it and as I say, I'm just about to send the application off to CTC...just waiting on my references. Wow, that's really bad of CTC for someone to spend £100k and not have the people skills!!

I currently live with my parents and I don't have the £65K so as I say, hoping the BBVA can help me if my parents are willing that is...lol.
I'll try different avenue's for loans but I can't see the banks lending :sad:

I'm trying not to stress about stage one, I think I have the people skills, well I should do. I work with customer's on a one to one basis everyday! But the PILAPT test does look incredibly hard!! :uhoh:

Shane C
8th May 2012, 14:27
Thanks Joe, yeah I've nothing to lose, I'd be silly not to apply. It's just the PILAPT test section which worries me!! The rest I think I'll sail through to be honest.

Good luck too Joe when you apply :)

windypops
9th May 2012, 16:06
You have nothing to lose!

True, but if your parents re-mortgage to fund training they certainly do.

I chose (5 years ago) not to even bother asking my parents to stump up the cash, it was a personal decision, but I felt they had already done more than enough for me. So I got myself 3 jobs and worked my socks off to fund my training. I made it, all the way through, no P2F nonsense and got a job not too long after finishing my training. I should point out I got the job during the downturn. Lots of networking, and LOTS of luck, I happened to be in the right place at the right time, but then again so were a few others who also got FO jobs.

PS it was all worth it, I enjoy my job more today than I did when I first started. Like a good wine it gets better with age.

captain.weird
9th May 2012, 16:22
Do you have to pay when you send in the application or when you have to show up for the tests etc..?

muzzy24
9th May 2012, 17:06
65k and then you will be bonded for more (TR, and a "flybe" contribution?)? and not have a promise of a job? :ugh: i know a guy that once he had finished all this, there was no vacancies so he worked doing ground handling.

look into modular training, you can complete that for under half the cost. and continue to earn from current jobs as you complete your training. i did modular training all in the UK, and secured a job around 7 weeks after finishing my training.

Joe86
9th May 2012, 18:31
To be honest nothing in this industry is certain, yes i could pay and work for my ATPL for around 55-60k in the UK (BCFT + rent), but i would still not be working in this time (exams and revision would be my focus), so for 65k i can get a bond to an airline... even if i do have to do other tasks aswell (ground work etc...) That really doesnt bother me, i would still be in-line for a flying job and 'you should always start at the bottom to appreciate the top' :).

Yes i know schools produce glossy books and fancy stats, but at this point its the chance of a job at the end of it im most interested in.

flybSOU
9th May 2012, 21:21
Do Flybe require 90% in each of the 14 exams or an average of 90% across all of them?

captain.weird
9th May 2012, 21:32
When do you have to pay the selection fee? During the application or when you're invited for an interview?

Stonebaked
10th May 2012, 13:52
Having completed the PILAPT test at CTC recently all I can recommended is practice, practice practice. Its not impossible. You get three attempts on each test and ideally they want to see your marks improve after each attempt. I used https://www.pilotest.com/ to prepare and it is pretty good. There are other sites that offer similar software but they are all roughly the same. Unfortunately they aren't that cheap but if you are serious about getting into the industry you are going to have to get use to forking money out here, there and everywhere.

Shane C
10th May 2012, 13:58
Thanks for everyone's advice, much appreciated :)

windypops - Yeah exactly, having to ask your parents to risk their house is something that I don't like asking if I'm honest but I would fund it all by myself however when this course popped up it didn't leave with alot of options. The banks will not lend, I can almost guarantee it.

I spoke to a customer the the other week who now works for BA as a FO and his girlfirend/wife works for BA too as a flight attendant. Anyway, he was giving me advice on CTC and OAA. He studied at OAA on the integrated course and had the money there and then - HSBC loaned him the money, this was 15 years ago though!!

Well done for getting a job as a FO :)

muzzy24 - Well what Flybe and CTC say that upon successfully completing the 10 month training course, you sign a contract for Flybe and you get a position as a FO on the Q400.

Flybe pay for your bonding and they put a significant amount of money in to the student/candidate.
What I'm saying is basically, you're almost guaranteed a position which is why I'm highly interested in this course!!

I've looked in to all avenue's and yeah the modular route is also appealing to me also. There are a few FTO's such as PAT, CTC and OAA which do the modular route and they're pretty much the same in cost. I'd rather be on the integrated course though. I'm ready to send off the application now so we'll see what happens :)

flybSOU - Yes, I'm led to believe you must have a 90% pass rate with CTC and Flybe.

captain.weird - You pay the selection fee if and when you get invited to the selection day and like OAA, CTC charge candidiates £192.00 for the day.

Like I say, does anyone have advice on passing the PILAPT section of the test, this worries me to be honest. It does look very, very difficult!! :(

BerksFlyer
10th May 2012, 14:10
Well what Flybe and CTC say that upon successfully completing the 10 month training course, you sign a contract for Flybe and you get a position as a FO on the Q400.

Check those details.

Flybe are experienced at running these schemes and aside from the Cabair one, which hardly got off the ground, they seem to have run smoothly. There isn't a better option than this at the moment.

Regarding the PILAPT tests - if they're anything like the COMPASS test OAA uses, they aren't much to worry about so long as you've got half a brain.

Shane C
10th May 2012, 14:32
BerksFlyer - Hmmm ok, I'll check again, I thought it was a 10 month course and upon completion, you sign a contract for Flybe and you get bonded, type trained and get offered a position on the Q400. I'm pretty sure that's what the info on CTC's/Flybe's application page says.

Exactly, that's why I am expressing a very high amount on interest in this and applying for it. It sounds fantastic provided I can get on the course!!

Ok thanks, well maybe I'm stressing over nothing? Because I've looked at the PILAPT test on the website pilotest.com and does seem very challenging at first glance :(

Maybe I should buy the software if it helps. I consider myself an intelligent bloke but these tests do seem rather hard.

Shane C
10th May 2012, 14:47
Stonebaked - Ahh ok, how did you find the assessment day at CTC? Yeah I know the pilotest software isn't very cheap but if you used it and it helped, I'll be doing the same.

I'm going to wait first to see if I'm selected for the assessment and then I'll buy the software. It's something like £80 to £90 for the software isn't it?

There are loads of sections on the pilotest site!! From your experience with CTC and the PILAPT test, which ones should I practice??

jhr187
10th May 2012, 15:03
Do you end up with an ATPL or an MPL?

Fostex
10th May 2012, 15:34
You graduate with an fATPL/IR. This is not an MPL course.

flybSOU
10th May 2012, 17:48
Is that 90% for EACH exam or an average across all 14?

jhr187
10th May 2012, 18:44
Where'd that figure come from?

windypops
10th May 2012, 18:45
are you "bonded" to Flybe for 5 years and on a reduced salary? I thought I read this somewhere.

It could still be right for some, but 5 years is quite a long time, especially if other doors are beginning to open 2 years into your bond.

flybSOU
10th May 2012, 18:54
I was reading about previous Flybe programmes and they all said 90% (although they weren't clear if it was per exam or an average) and I assumed it would be the same for this.

The daily mail (I know it's probably not reliable) but they said it is 90% per exam.

Otto Throttle
10th May 2012, 19:05
Exam Passes:

The requirement is a 90% average across all exams, not 90% in each. However, given the current standards achieved by non-sponsored ATPL students elsewhere, it would be expected that candidates will exceed this pass mark by some margin.

Bonding:

The standard bonding arrangements for Flybe are for a 3 year, reducing bond to cover the type rating - something in the order of £14,000.

The 5 year requirement is the repayment of the Flybe 'sponsorship' of £19,800. This is repaid, interest-free, from salary after tax over the first 5 years of employment, following completion of Final Line Check. There is also currently an option to take up to an additional 2 years as repayment 'holidays'.

Course Costs:

The Flybe contribution is paid in advance and counts towards the total cost of the course. So if the course costs £65K, the student contribution is lowered by £19,800.

Employment:

The final stage of selection is effectively the Flybe job interview. All successful applicants are given a conditional job offer alongside their sponsorship. Successful completion of the course guarantees a place in the Flybe holding pool, and priority over direct entry applicants. It has been only during the very worst period of the industry downturn that sponsored students were not immediately recruited. It is quite normal for students to finish their training one week and commence their company induction the following week.

flybSOU
10th May 2012, 19:24
Great, thank you very much for that.

One more question, is a driving license needed (or will they favour a candidate with a driving license over one who has not got one?)

Although its not on the entry requirements list, they do ask about it on the application form.

cd7007
11th May 2012, 00:02
Driving licence shouldn't make any difference. The only time that might possibly be referenced is in a CRB check for a potential employer. It is by no means a requirement to apply for the course!

Shane C
11th May 2012, 03:23
Otto Throttle - Thanks for the info, very informative :)

cd7007 - What about if you can't swim? There's a question in the application where it asks whether you can swim 50m with out help basically.

I can swim but I'm not the strongest, 50m is pushing it for me lol.

jhr187
11th May 2012, 07:12
Tick the box and get some swimming practice until you can comfortably swim
50m?

Otto Throttle
11th May 2012, 11:33
Driver's Licence:

Lack of this won't prevent you from applying, but it would be expected that all employees can drive. Positioning by hire car is an occasional requirement, although there is always an option to request a taxi. However, the company preference is that you can drive. I doubt you will find time to learn whilst completing the ATPL, so I recommend you get this done ASAP.

Swimming:

Fortunately, the company have yet to request you swim to a duty, but during your first week of induction you will complete wet drill, which involves faffing about in the swimming pool learning how to use lifejackets. Basic swimming ability is a must, and I seem to recall that you will be expected to complete one length of the pool wearing the jacket. The ability to swim 50m should more than suffice for these purposes.

Shane C
11th May 2012, 14:20
jhr187 - Yes that's what I did, as I say I can swim but I am not the strongest so if I get through and get offered a place on the course, I'll get some swimming lessons in.

Otto Throttle - Ok thanks again for the info, helps alot :)

gpar
13th May 2012, 02:05
Hi guys,

I need your help with the following question :
Describe the business/commercial opportunities and challenges facing flybe

I'm not a native english speaker and I don't understand what kind of answer they are waiting for !?
Are they expecting from us a :
- current situation description of flybe business/commercial plan or
- our personal point of view ?

Many thanks

DavidWoodward
13th May 2012, 08:56
Hi guys,

I need your help with the following question :
Describe the business/commercial opportunities and challenges facing flybe

I'm not a native english speaker and I don't understand what kind of answer they are waiting for !?
Are they expecting from us a :
- current situation description of flybe business/commercial plan or
- our personal point of view ?

Many thanks

They're asking for your personal view and from what I can gather, whether it fits in with their point of view. I think the aim is to see if you understand what sort of business Flybe is and what their long term aims are.

average-punter
13th May 2012, 09:11
Working fine here mate :)

flybSOU
13th May 2012, 11:22
Anyone else got through to phase 2?

This is the phase I am not looking forward to, particularly with the maths.

Shane C
13th May 2012, 16:32
gpar - Yes exactly what David Woodward said. Flybe are after what you think that their business views are, their commercial views are and where they are going as a company, business and airline and whether it ties in to what they agree with what you have said.

The challenges facing Flybe are self explanitory but remember, you have to answer all of these in a maximum of 150 words so choose your words carefully! :)

flybSOU - Well I have literally gone through my application multiple times to make sure it was spot on! Just sent it off so I am just waiting now, fingers crossed!!

I am also not looking forward to the PILAPT section of the assessment :(

Danny212
13th May 2012, 18:43
FlybSOU when did you send off your application?

flybSOU
13th May 2012, 19:11
Friday morning (just after midnight) and had a reply 16 hours later.

Keeley
13th May 2012, 19:49
flybSOU, when is your phase 2/3 assessment at CTC? I read in another thread that someone had an invite for the 17th May!

flybSOU
13th May 2012, 20:11
I had the choice of three dates - 17th of May, 21st of May or the 23rd of May.

Keeley
13th May 2012, 20:19
Very little in the way of preparation time then! Best of luck with phase 2/3, flybSOU.

FlyingSportsman
13th May 2012, 20:31
just for info chaps, dates are 17th, 21st, 23rd and 24th, 24th hasnt been released as far as i know! best of luck

flybSOU
13th May 2012, 20:33
I have two questions:

1. Are you allowed to bring guests (i.e. the person who will help me fund it) to the selection day?

2. If you make it through to the interview in the afternoon, is technical knowledge required?

And thank you very much Keeley, you too!

OMGisThatJohn
13th May 2012, 21:18
I have two questions:

1. Are you allowed to bring guests (i.e. the person who will help me fund it) to the selection day?

2. If you make it through to the interview in the afternoon, is technical knowledge required?

And thank you very much Keeley, you too!

You cannot bring guests to the selection day, you may - however - bring a maximum of two to the open days.

Throughout the group exercise and interview the interviewers and moderators (who are one in the same) will expect you to display a relatively deep understanding of the airline industry (it's past, present and future.)

I would also guess that the interviewer will expect you to have a knowledge of flybe (fleet, the q400, general destinations, company policy and goals/aims, rudimentary history etc.)

flybSOU
13th May 2012, 22:26
Thank you very much for your answers.

I do have one more question - I now have to answer 4 questions and return them to CTC no later than 1 week before my selection day. I assume I should print it off, answer the questions, scan it in end email it back to them?

Shane C
13th May 2012, 23:48
Well good luck for phase 2 flybSOU :)

I am just waiting on the results of my application passing as it is being screened at the moment. They seem to be very efficient at replying so I should know by tomorrow!

You say they now ask you 4 questions? What have CTC asked?

Stonebaked
14th May 2012, 11:41
Thank you very much for your answers.

I do have one more question - I nw have to answer 4 questions and return them to CTC no later than 1 week before my selection day. I assume I should print it off, answer the questions, scan it in end email it back to them?

Open the document in Word and complete fill it out electronically.

Below are questions I received from CTC a few months ago. I'm not sure if they are all the same but they will be similar.

1. Why do you wish to take up a career as an airline pilot? Please tell us what you have done to pursue your interest in this career.

2. What do you see as the attributes of an airline pilot of the future and how do you match these criteria?

3. Please give us an example of a situation where you performed effectively as a member of a team

4. Give us some examples from your past experience to show us that you are the sort of person who overcomes obstacles and setbacks to achieve your goals and ambitions

If you are successful and get through to the interview stage they may refer to your answers but you will be required to give other examples, bear this in mind !

Shane C
14th May 2012, 13:03
Since opening this thread, there have been some great answers by everyone so thank you! :)

I recieved an email back by CTC today and unfortunately, I did not make it through paper sift. I'm gutted to be honest as I felt my application was spot on and I had everything they wanted. Obviously not :(

Best of luck to the guys on here who have applied and got through to phase 2!

flybSOU
14th May 2012, 13:40
Stonebaked - My computer decided that it did not want to let me write in the boxes the other day. I have just tried again and now it is fine. Thanks very much!

Shane C - Sorry that you didn't make it through. Thanks for the kind words.

Danny212
14th May 2012, 14:49
It has been over a week since I have sent my application off...still haven't heard back from them :confused:

AudreyC
14th May 2012, 17:48
Danny212: same here, I submitted mine exactly 2 weeks ago. Received a reply the next morning asking me to send some University certificates, but then never heard back.
I hope it didnt get filled in the Junk mail and then disappeared...

flybSOU
14th May 2012, 18:02
Did you receive a confirmation email saying they have received it and it is being screened?

Shane C
14th May 2012, 20:33
flybSOU - Thanks pal :) I'm rather upset that my application didn't go any further if I'm honest. I thought that my application was a good one and had good, strong answers to the questions. I have an engineering background, flying experience as I am doing my PPL and alot of customer service experience and believe I have what it takes.

It's great to hear that some of you guys got through to phase 2/3! :) But begs the question, what sort of candidates are they looking for??

The CTC selection team sent me an email saying that after 'carefully screening' my application, they regret that it won't be going any further or words to that effect anyway.

How can they possibly 'carefully screen' an application and get a reply in less than 16 hours?!

FlyingMackem - I imagine that there will be quite a fair few attending the assessment day and CTC/Flybe will weed out the candidates they don't want leaving the final class or classes.

Fostex
14th May 2012, 21:20
ShaneC,

I'm in the same boat as you mate. Rejected at round 1. I have a 1st class MEng in Electronics Engineering and have a lot of commercial and industrial experience. I am also about to ( skills test next week ) obtain a PPL(A) in the minimum 45 hours.

But... I am also 30, I think that might be it.

Best of luck to the rest of you chaps.

Shane C
14th May 2012, 21:48
Fostex - Sorry you didn't get either :(

Well CTC can take their pick of the bunch, there must be a very high number of people who have applied and obviously they want the very best for Flybe and CTC. To be honest mate, your age should have nothing to do with it. In an airline job, 30 years old is nothing. From what I can gather, airlines want experience.

You're more qualified than me so what CTC want is beyond me. :confused:

I think my lack of concentration at school and my GCSE grades affected my application I think.

It would be handy if CTC gave us a why not though...

Stonebaked
14th May 2012, 22:42
Shane sorry to hear that you were unlucky but don't think into it too much. I suspect you do have the required attributes, qualifications and life experience that is required to be successful but initially they are going to have cut numbers down big time one way or another. I know people that applied for the BA FPP that I thought were ideal for the course and they got no where. It's all about perseverance! If you want it that bad keep applying for schemes and do your research on the FTO's and what they offer.

BerksFlyer
14th May 2012, 22:51
From my, albeit limited, experience with things like this I can say that unfortunately a lot of bewildering decisions do get made. Whilst there will be those with seemingly excellent credentials not making it through the sift there will be some who have absolutely no business being there whatsoever.

I had the displeasure of meeting someone at a recent airline scheme assessment day who hadn't the slightest idea about flying, aviation or how it all worked. He asked if a class one medical was included in the assessment fee price and also asked how long the course was. Meanwhile I know people with experience around the flying community, excellent academics and relevant work experience who didn't get invited.

I am not sure how it works at CTC, but at some places when schemes like this run it is often people who aren't genuine aviation people doing the initial sift. They may work at a flight school in an administrative role, but that does not make them people who know what is good and what isn't in the flying world.

It's all a bit cynical I know, but thought I'd offer some consolation.

Danny212
14th May 2012, 23:41
BerksFlyer I completely agree with you. I think the intial screening is never as 'careful' as they make it seem...but at the end of the day there are thousands of applicants and well theyre bound to make mistakes during screening. But as someone mentioned earlier, keep trying...and well...you have to get somewhere....that's what I'm keeping in mind anyway. I'm currently only 18, so compared to what many on this thread have (i.e PPL's and degree's etc) I don't really reach those standards...but I'm still trying :)

Shane C
14th May 2012, 23:50
Stonebaked - Thanks for your kind words. Yes I will not give up, I'll keep at it but it's just a frustrating situation to be in when you know that you have what it takes but the selection team doesn't. I just do not agree with not having feedback but that's the way it is :(

My next port of call is the CTC Cadet programme and if that fails, then I will try CTC's iCP modular programme and even if that falls through, I will have to go the modular route with another FTO. PAT springs to mind. I have seen the manager at PAT already. Ever such a nice lady who runs PAT with her husband and have a high success rate amongst students who study there but, it's a harder way to get a flying job hence why I really would prefer the integrated route as you're more likey to get a flying job a bit quicker.

It just doesn't make sense to me that if a particular candidate has the right qualities, credentials and the right sort of qualifications...get's rejected to someone who doesn't seem right?! :confused:

BerksFlyer - Thanks for your kind words too.

Wow really?! Now that's what I mean, how can a highly skilled FTO that put considerable risk in to their students and vice versa, take someone who doesn't seem to fit the bill. Fair play to that chap, I hope he got through but surely, like we all would agree, if I was an assessor I would take someone like us and not someone with no idea or experience. Just doesn't make any sense to me!! :mad:

I have no idea but if that really is the case that these FTO's who use assessor's and are not genuine people in the avation world and they use people like you've said, then that's silly in my view because they have relatively no idea and we get penalised for it. :(

magicmick
15th May 2012, 08:26
Somewhat off the CTC/ Flybe topic but if you have been ‘custard pied’ by CTC then Atlantic have opened up their cadet scheme, if you look at Page 3 of the Late 2012/2013 Pilot Sponsorship Scheme thread you will find I have posted a link to the info which might be of interest. Even if you’re still in the running for CTC/ Flybe there would be no harm in applying to Atlantic as you may not make it all the way with CTC/ Flybe.

MrBrightside
15th May 2012, 13:47
Anyone else having issues logging in to book assessment date?

Shane C
15th May 2012, 14:11
magicmick - I will have a read of that thread, thanks :)

Shane C
15th May 2012, 14:25
I just read the thread on the West Atlantic cadet scheme. To be honest, I've never heard of them but it is good that they fund the rest of your flght training provided you have a PPL, night rating, 150 hours PIC/P1 and a class 1 medical. Unfortuantely, I do not have any of these as yet, just 7.7 hours PU/T for my PPL.

As per CTC Wings/Flybe application, I may have an idea as to why it was unsuccessful...I carry 6 points on my driving licence, could that be why?

It's due to be null and void by August this year but nonetheless, it's still on my licence :(

PrestonPilot
15th May 2012, 14:48
I wouldn't employ anybody who can't stick to basic rules such as speed limits :p

Shane C
15th May 2012, 14:55
PrestonPilot - Haha, yeah me either ;)

I was younger and stupid and I think it could of cost me I fear :(

It wasn't a normal 'sp30' either, I had to go to court which was such an ordeal, never been in trouble like that before! I felt like a criminal! Anyway, thanks to my Solicitor and the nice lady Judge, she left me off with 6 points and a fine.

AudreyC
15th May 2012, 15:19
Fly-Boi-1992: I havent. I submitted mine on the 1st May. Still Awaiting Selection. Not sure why they are taking so much longer with some applications. I have a driving conviction on my license too (SP30 3 years ago), but have a full PPL and a degree in Aerospace Engineering. Not sure they will like the age though, they seem to be going for very young candidates, I guess so they can mold them the way they want. Either way, would be good to hear from them as I live in the US at the moment so would rather book flights early...

Bealzebub
15th May 2012, 15:21
As per CTC Wings/Flybe application, I may have an idea as to why it was unsuccessful...I carry 6 points on my driving licence, could that be why?

No. It would have been unsuccesful because it didn't reach the pass standard when considered with the many hundreds of other applications for the limited number of places on this particular scheme.

That is just the way it goes sometimes. Let it go and move on.

There are a lot of applicants with good educational standards that fit a general profile that the recruitment team are looking for. Sometimes the specifics change from one company to another, but the fact that you think you are good enough, isn't in itself likely to be enough to get an application past the first hurdle.

The recuiters are looking for the type of people that they feel are going to be able to succeed simpy from a perusal of the limited information provided at stage 1. The later stages will further refine that process. Obviously a good solid educational background and achievement record, is almost always going to be a primary requirement for success in achieving selection for one of these types of fast track schemes.

My next port of call is the CTC Cadet programme and if that fails, then I will try CTC's iCP modular programme and even if that falls through, I will have to go the modular route with another FTO. PAT springs to mind. I have seen the manager at PAT already. Ever such a nice lady who runs PAT with her husband and have a high success rate amongst students who study there but, it's a harder way to get a flying job hence why I really would prefer the integrated route as you're more likey to get a flying job a bit quicker.

Yes, absolutely do that. Success on one of these programmes coupled with timing isn't going to "get you a flying job a bit quicker", it may well get you an airline first officers position, a lot quicker. people severely underestimate just what a cliff they are climbing in trying to embark on this type of career at such a low level of experience. Airline cadet programmes are almost always tied to these type of specific integrated courses.

Succesful completion of a reputable tied programme will very likely result in a temporary airline placement after completion. Many of these temporary placements then dovetail into permanent placements.

Outside of these fast track cadet schemes, there are very limited opportunities for low houred pilots. Airlines without such schemes have a very broad and a very large pool of experienced candidates from which to choose. They are not tripping over themselves to employ 250 hour pilots whatever you may think or whatever anybody may tell you.

It is a very expensive undertaking, that comes with an enormous risk profile. Anybody embarking on this career path needs to take a very hard and very realistic viewpoint of what it is they want to achieve, and what really are the best ways of succeeding in that pursuit.

Danny212
15th May 2012, 16:42
Fly-Boi-1992 - I haven't received a reply either...sent it two days after the application opened =\

AudreyC
15th May 2012, 19:34
Thanks, good luck to you too. I'm thinking they might be waiting to see how many of the first batch make it through the second stage later this week before giving us a reply.

loughrey1
17th May 2012, 09:09
How do you find out if you are successful? I submitted my application on sunday and thought I could access that again to check the status however I cant anymore? Should I keep refreshing my email?

Skyblade
17th May 2012, 11:28
hi guys, i had applied for this flybe program but haven't received any reply yet.:ugh:

I have application no with me but how to check if my application is accepted or rejected??

Lord Spandex Masher
17th May 2012, 23:40
...it's just a frustrating situation to be in when [B]you know that you have what it takes but the selection team doesn't.

I'm gutted to be honest as I felt my application was spot on and I had everything they wanted

The rest I think I'll sail through to be honest.

Wow really?! Now that's what I mean, how can a highly skilled FTO that put considerable risk in to their students and vice versa, take someone who doesn't seem to fit the bill. Fair play to that chap, I hope he got through but surely, like we all would agree, if I was an assessor I would take someone like us and not someone with no idea or experience.

Now I don't know you from Adam, obviously. But your quotes above have an air of egotism and superiority about them, or arrogance as one may describe it.

Maybe, just maybe, that particular trait has revealed itself in your application.

take someone who doesn't seem to fit the bill.

Maybe, again, in this case that is exactly what they didn't do!

if I was an assessor I would take someone like us and not someone with no idea or experience.

Just because you may have an idea and or (limited) experience wont necessarily mean that:

A) The other guy with no idea can not be trained!
B) You can be trained any better than that guy,
C) We would want to sit next to you for an entire day!

There was a trend in Flybe, before I left, of young, arrogant, whizz(!) kids appearing on the line. They were the bee's knees, couldn't put a foot wrong, were always right, etc, etc, blah, or so they though.

Maybe Flybe realised this and have attempted to right a wrong. Either way, unlucky, you have my condolences because this is one of the best jobs going.

Skyblade
18th May 2012, 04:30
flyboi-1992 thanks
I logged in but it showed

Phase 1 status Awaiting selection
Phase 2 status Awaiting selection
Phase 3 status Awaiting selection
Phase 4 status Awaiting selection

:ugh:

Shane C
20th May 2012, 14:31
Lord Spandex Masher - Apologies if I came across as arrogant or egotistical, it was not my intention. I am not that kind of person at all. If my answers in these posts came across that way then, sorry.

I was just venting my frustration at not getting through. I honestly thought I had what it took to make it through to at least phase 2/3.

I have re-read my application many times and I now know where I went wrong.

Thanks for your condolences though, it was a shame not getting through but I will keep trying. :)

Shane C
20th May 2012, 14:34
Beazlebub - Thanks for your post :)

Shane C
20th May 2012, 14:35
To those who went to the assessment day, any updates?? How did it go and how did you guys do??

huzaifa786
20th May 2012, 21:30
Hey everyone, I sent my application to flybe on Monday deadline day. I'm still waiting for a reply, is there anyone else who is still waiting. I'm a bit worried tbh!

Shane C
20th May 2012, 23:26
FlyingMackem - Yeah, I was sure it would be tough!

Did you make it through to the next stage? :)

huzaifa786
21st May 2012, 17:44
Fly-Boi-1992: Thats good to know. Thanks for the update will let you know what happens to my application. 700 applicants why am i not surprised!

Tom83
21st May 2012, 18:08
Thank you Fly Boi. Appreciate the update.

Heres Johnny
24th May 2012, 21:54
If you want a tip to help you pass through the AM session then buy a program called Pilapt and if your weak with the maths section buy numerapt both programs WILL help you on the AM tests, They are expensive but they got me in and out the other side and they have now paid for themselves. You will need some time to master them but they are similar to the tests (NOT EXACT).

Boe787ing
25th May 2012, 07:52
would you care to share a link of where you purchased?... as there are numerous on offer

Heres Johnny
25th May 2012, 23:23
Cockpitweb: pilot aptitude test,Pilot computer test software,numerapt,numerical reasoning, psychometric test, mathematics,job application,pilot recruitment,IFR Training Software, ATPL Pilot Training, Pilot Training flight simulator, aviation training (http://www.cockpitweb.com/) Here is a link.. not sure if PPRuNe will allow this but i'll try posting it... I bought the Pilot aptitude test and numerapt, as I say it wasn't cheap but well worth it.. You download it and pay by paypal i'd advise you to save the program to disc and keep the emails they send you as if you lose the program they will allow you to download it again... (happened to me when my computer crashed) The tests are similar but not exactly the same but with enough practice you will get through the test. From then it's down to personality and interview techniques.

Skyblade
26th May 2012, 07:02
Hi all
I just received email from CTC saying that my application has got rejected.
They have not stated any reason.:{

huzaifa786
26th May 2012, 15:43
I got rejected to!
Skyblade: when did you send your application for the scheme

Skyblade
27th May 2012, 14:41
Applied on 13.05.2012 got reply on 25.05.2012

Mase_00_7
27th May 2012, 20:14
Hi guys,

I have been successful in my application to the program and was wondering whether anyone who has already had their assessment day could elaborate a little more on what is to be expected of the assessment day?

I am in the middle of doing my interview preparations and would like a little insight into the more aviation specific questions I am likely to be asked.

Cheers :)

Ricson
30th May 2012, 08:45
Not only this, I cannot go through pilotest.com neither~

Heres Johnny
1st Jun 2012, 00:03
The best advice I can give you is to have real life examples which you can change to suit the question. The interview goes really quickly and when you are out you won't remember most of the questions as it's intense to try not to blabber..
For example they may say "give me an example of when you had to lead a team of people and what was the result..
A good example could be anything you have done such as captain of a football team when you won or when you organised your best mates wedding day and the outcome.
It's important to have several life experiances to draw from as if you draw from one experiance the interview becomes repetative. (all this info is available on any interview techniques website) You will need a good example of why you want to be a pilot and I suggest you have an example to expand on the answer. Because you don't actually need experiance in flying the subject of the interview is more on you as a person than on the industry but it's a good idea to know the general layout of an aircraft etc etc.
I seem to remember being more nervous about the team exercise than the interview because everyone is fighting to suggest/say something.
Remember the people who actually assess you are employed to get the best applicants and are personel recruiters rather than actual flyers (this was my impression with my intervew and indeed the whole day)
Bottom line .... Be yourself, give good non repetative answers and expand on questions as much as possible but without blabbering.
Hope this helps good luck. :)

Mase_00_7
1st Jun 2012, 06:57
Thanks for your response, it came a little late for me however I wasn't successful in passing through to the interview stage anyway.

Should come in useful for someone though :ok:

Scott Duch
8th Jun 2012, 19:46
Anyone else get the email from CTC last week saying they had been short listed for interview?

dogtired2
24th Sep 2012, 10:05
Please can someone advise if my understanding of what is posted here is correct.
Total course cost £65,000 (approx £45,000 paid up front) £19,800 over five years.
£14,000 type rating not paid by student but bonded for five years?

average-punter
24th Sep 2012, 10:11
I don't have the document in front of me as I type this so doing it from memory. The deposit for the course is around 23k. You are bonded 14k for the rating but for 3 years. You repay your 19800 over five years, but you don't even see it as they take it off your salary.

dogtired2
25th Sep 2012, 14:40
OK...have I got the right end of the stick this time..... you pay out of your own pocket £23 K at the upfront deposit stage then £19,800 over (3 or 5) years out of your salary?

average-punter
25th Sep 2012, 19:20
Yes you have, overall you will need to fiond 65k out of your own pocket. Flybe will loan you 19800 to pay for the rest of the course, like you said this is paid back over 60 months.

You are bonded for 3 years for the type rating.