PDA

View Full Version : Oh Crap, I've Lost My Job!!

Cumulogranite
7th May 2012, 13:04
I thought I was exercising some intelligence at the back end of last year when I gave up a poorly paid yet secure job for a 2 grand a year pay rise and a managment position. So imagine my surprise when i get told that the company is re-structuring and I am out on my ear, just 4 months later. Thanks to the policies of Mr Cameron I am well stuffed, so if someone knows of any decent jobs going let me know!!

Lon More
7th May 2012, 13:14
CG I feel sorry for you but am unable to offer any solace.
I don't know where your skills base lies, not that it helps. Everything except banking and politics seems to be screwed in the UK

sitigeltfel
7th May 2012, 13:40
It would be helpful to let us know what line of work you are in and how government policy led to your departure. If your position would have been safe had you not taken the new job, does this not indicate bad decision making on your behalf?
A measly two grand on top of what you said was an already poor salary does not seem to be a reasonable reward for a management role!

Just asking.

Tableview
7th May 2012, 13:53
Many companies have a policy of LIFO, last in first out. Seems you were a victim of this.

If you indicate what your skills/professional experience are, maybe someone here could help you.

Storminnorm
7th May 2012, 14:35
Being thrown out of a job was always part of the risk of working
for ANY airline. Happened to me on various occasions.
Luckily there always seemed to be another job just around the
corner.

RJM
7th May 2012, 14:38
Middle management is a risky place. I don't know if that was your area, but something similar happened to me a few years ago. I used the same skills I had in my employment and offered them on my own behalf, self-employed as a sole practitioner. It was slow at first, but I'm going along well now. Is self-employment an option for you?

waco
7th May 2012, 16:08
Really sorry to hear your news.....

Speaking personally.....I will never, ever, go anywhere near that slippery pole again.........

I just stand back and watch other people climb it. Much more fun.

Seldomfitforpurpose
7th May 2012, 16:36
Thanks to the policies of Mr Cameron I am well stuffed

Nope, a willingness to take a ill thought out and very risky punt for an extra 2k cost you your job :=

radeng
7th May 2012, 17:03
I did a management course in 1982 and decided that I never wanted to be a manager. In the following 30 years, I had 3 managers leave and 17 get either made redundant or pushed out. It wasn't my turn until last July, when at age 64, I got made redundant with over a year's pay.

I then got a contract with them to represent them as a contractor at various standards and regulatory meetings - 60% opf the work for 60% more money, plus I got a contract from another company as well.

So look at the possibilities as a self employed contractor. Or even retraining for something completely different. The only management post you want is where you are managing yourself for yourself!

racedo
7th May 2012, 17:21
Tough but know few now who hasn't happened to at least once, some more than this.

25 years ago was a negative but now employers expect to see it because so many have gone through it including people employing others, that is unless you with company 20 plus years when people can see that as lack of ambition.

If you had good skills for old employer and didn't leave under a cloud then a call to an old boss etc loses you nothing, possibly with some other experience you might actually be of benefit and be considered in a different way.

An old friend worked as Brewery Area manager with team under him and then left after 27 years to do a role with a similar company on lots more money and it involved sacking and shutting lots of stuff. At the end after 2 years he was dumped as had done what they wanted him to do, old employer couldn't wait to get him back because of his history with them and experience gained elsewhere.

Oh and if going to work for another employer a minimum of 10-15% increase is a must, employers don't share salary data.

Flaymy
7th May 2012, 18:09
Thanks to the policies of Mr Cameron I am well stuffedWhat policy? Cameron is not great, but which of his policies directly affects your job and is not justified by his responsibilities to the British people?

G-CPTN
7th May 2012, 19:24
BBC News - Tax for small businesses: Your questions answered (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17937374)

Sprogget
7th May 2012, 19:25
You were Jeremy Hunt's sacrificial spad weren't you!

Gertrude the Wombat
7th May 2012, 19:41
So look at the possibilities as a self employed contractor.
Plenty of them with no work at the moment.

And the freelance sector is under intense fire from the Wail and the rest of the Tory press, at least those parts of it who can't add up and don't understand the tax system.

radeng
7th May 2012, 20:52
A lot depends on the area. In my case, many companies have 'economised' by getting rid of the people who did the mandatory regulation and standards work. They have then found that proposed changes can leave them with no possible sales for a couple of years while new product is developed: thus the contracting business in this field is pretty boyant right now.

Effluent Man
7th May 2012, 23:00
I would take with a substantial pinch of salt any advice to go it alone right now.I started my business exactly 35 years ago and in the last two I have lost 75% of turnover.

I am in the Motor Trade and other people's fear of job losses has hit trade hard.I'm not complaining because in 33 of those years I put profits aside for a rainy day,but it's here with a vengence now.My advice to those thinking of it is quite simple.Don't.

G-CPTN
7th May 2012, 23:16
I decided that you have to be a certain type of person to contemplate self-employment seriously.

I'm not that type.

radeng
7th May 2012, 23:25
I'm only contemplating self employment until my contract ends in August 2013 - unless someone offers me obscene amounts of money to keep going. Like £750 a day plus expenses. That could happen, although pigs might fly first.

Worrals in the wilds
8th May 2012, 00:19
Sorry to hear your bad news. :sad:

Not knowing what you do or much about the UK job market (except that it's bad :eek:), my only suggestion is to go through your phone book, your family and your friends, call everyone you know well enough and ask them if they know of any jobs going.

Even if it's something crappy and you go to work with a bag over your head so no-one will recognise you, it's better to be employed while you look for a grander gig than to be out of work completely.

Good luck. :ok:
I did a management course in 1982 and decided that I never wanted to be a manager.Same, though not in 1982. It cured me of any desire to join a management 'team' whatsoever and also gave me a cute collection of bamboozling weasel words so that if I choose, I can be just as confusing as they are. :confused:
Quite a useful course all 'round, really. :E

Cumulogranite
8th May 2012, 07:37
Thanks for the messages of support. Firstly I typoe'd, it was 12 grand a year.

My main sphere of employment is in the haulage industry, though I was working within the part 145 maintenance industry, and have done for some years repairing ULD's.

Thanks to the austerity of Mr Cameron, currently being dumped all over Europe, banks arent lending and that has a negative impact on the guy I worked for. In addition the company has more politics in it than the house of commons and I fear I fell foul of that as well as the fact that the company is leaking money. I dont blame the owner for his decision as he is having to use his own money to pay the wages at the moment, I think it is just indicative of the situation in this country at the moment.

Now as for what to do next. Well I thought I might like to be a trainer, I have 20 odd years experience in a variety of industries and wealth of knowledge that I can pass on to the next generation and it seems relativley secure as people will always need to learn. What I have discovered is yet another industry that is over regulated and a closed shop. If I want to be an NVQ assessor I need the A1 qualification. However I cant get the qualification without some learners to practice on which means I need the job to get the card, and I cant get the card without the job.

Looks like I am going back to what I did 15 years ago, driving a wagon and hating every minute of being away from home 5 nights a week!!!

Fitter2
8th May 2012, 11:53
Dear CG

You appear to be blaming the current government for your situation; it would be equally valid to blame G 'prudence' Brown and the 99% of bankers that give the rest a bad name, or indeed your decision to give up a secure job in the middle of a recession. None of this will get you a job.

Speaking as one who has had a veriety of career changes, and never been out of employment for more than four months since 1959, I would offer the following:

A person with marketable skills willing to work should not be out of a job for long even in the present climate. With my employer's hat on, there is a desperate shortage of those with skills and willingness to be a useful member of staff (not just wanting to see a bank payment monthly, but thinking what the job needs).

Good luck - somebody needs you.

Groundbased
8th May 2012, 11:59
Slight tangent, but I'm genuinely confused by the concept that businesses can't function because banks aren't lending.

To me it seems that this is a micro reflection of the macro situation in relation to other economies. If businesses constantly need to grow a debt pile to keep the lights on they aren't functioning businesses, they simply borrow more to fund cashflow until the bank says no and then they go pop.

Now it might be that the banks are saying no more frequently and sooner, but this is simply exposing the underlying weaknesses of the businesses in question.

I could understand it if banks were refusing to lend for capital projects with a defined business plan and ROI, and that may be the case. Again though to me it simply means borrowing for cash flow isn't really sustainable, borrowing to fund specific projects with an ROI might be, but the criteria are pretty tight.

Are banks just sitting on cash piles to meet solvency requirements? I don't know.

hellsbrink
8th May 2012, 14:22
Thanks to the austerity of Mr Cameron, currently being dumped all over Europe, banks arent lending and that has a negative impact on the guy I worked for. In addition the company has more politics in it than the house of commons and I fear I fell foul of that as well as the fact that the company is leaking money. I dont blame the owner for his decision as he is having to use his own money to pay the wages at the moment, I think it is just indicative of the situation in this country at the moment.

What a load of bollocks, the banks weren't lending money BEFORE Cameron came into power. And Camerloon is hardly telling the rest of Europe what to do. Get a grip.

So you work in a company where some people don't like you, which is losing money, and are losing your job because said company has to lose unnecessary people to survive.

That is somehow Cameron's fault?

Cumulogranite
8th May 2012, 14:30
erm in my view, actually, yes.

You see, like most people I regard the bankers as the main villains of the piece here. If the current incumbent of No 10 had bothered to grow a pair instead of pratting around in the Bullingdon Club, he would go to the bankers and tell them in no uncertain terms that as we the tax payer helped to save them from being hung by thier own petard so to speak, that they MUST lend money to business to get the country going. If they dont like the idea he will tax them at 99% and use the money to start a state bank that will help business. Instead he lets them carry on regardless. What the chairman of Barclays got last week for 1 years work (if you can call it that) is more than I can hope to earn in the remainder of my career, such as it is!! In fairness to Mr Cameron, the occularly, cebereally challenged individual from north of the border also presided over a similar mess.

There is one thing I have discovered over the years though. I have always worked hard, gone the extra mile and have a can do attitude (I am not just saying that, I do) yet wherever I have worked I have seen the lazy and the fetless be promoted to ever more responsible jobs whilst I have stagnated. Should I become a waste of space myself, might help my career!!!!

Finally, this is not a bout of self pity, although thanks for the words of encouragement, just wanted to get a rant off my chest!!!

Tableview
8th May 2012, 14:40
You see, like most people I regard the bankers as the main villains of the piece here

Bankers are in business to make money for themselves and their shareholders. In theory they lend money to businesses and individuals who can submit proof of a business or personal plan that shows that they will be able to repay the loan within the terms.

Put yourself in a banker's position and ask yourself if you would lend money to a business that is clearly heading downhill. Don't blame Cameron (useless as he may be) for what has happened to business in general.

There is one thing I have discovered ......... wherever I have worked I have seen the lazy and the fetless be promoted to ever more responsible jobs whilst I have stagnated.
Yes, this is the main reason why I am happily self/unemployed. You could also add those that brown-nose their way to the top.

hellsbrink
8th May 2012, 14:46
So, all the troubles with banks not lending money to business over the last 3+ years didn't matter to you, but now your own, unsecure, job is at stake it's all the fault of Camerloon even though you do state that the company is so well run it is "leaking money" and the in-house politics have played their part in the demise of your position.

So, a company that can't get a loan because it's LOSING money (gee, I can't think about why a bank would refuse to loan money to a company that is LOSING money) which has workers who are willing to stab each other in the back (as you have just done in your post) has led to you losing your job and that is Cameron's fault........

You, sir, would be best thinking hard about what you have said and looking at the situation at said firm before even THINKING about blaming anyone else for your current position.......

Effluent Man
8th May 2012, 14:54
Had a little party over the weekend.My wife's three sisters came down and over a meal on sunday we were discussing the situation.Of the four of them all four have been forced out of work in the last year,two private sector,two public.My wife has managed to find another job (teaching) one of her sisters has got part time and two of them nothing.As they are all 50's it seems unlikely that they will now find employment.

It's taking a bit of a flyer to think that the jobs are going to get created.Ten years ago I employed three other people full time.Now it's just me.The overall effect of what has happened has encouraged me to think small.

On the subject of bank lending I have seen people complaining that the banks have asked for personal assets as security and when they have refused the loan has been turned down.What world are they living in? If you don't have enough faith in your business to do that why should anyone else have?

stuckgear
8th May 2012, 15:01
You see, like most people I regard the bankers as the main villains of the piece here

Really ?

No one bears as much responsibility for this crisis as Gordon Brown.
In 2004 he told an audience of bankers that “in budget after budget I want us to do even more to encourage the risk takers”(16).

In 2007 he boasted that the City of London’s success was the result of the government “enhancing a risk based regulatory approach, as we did in resisting pressure for a British Sarbannes-Oxley after Enron and Worldcom”(17).

Even as analysts warned that a crash was due, he continued to deregulate the City and appoint its bosses to various government committees and quangos.

References:

16. Gordon Brown, 16th June 2004. Speech to Mansion House. [ARCHIVED CONTENT] Speech given by the Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown at the Mansion House, London - HM Treasury (http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/speech_chex_160604.htm)

17. Gordon Brown, 20th June 2007. Speech to Mansion House. [ARCHIVED CONTENT] Speech by the Chancellor of the Exchequer, the Rt Hon Gordon Brown MP, to Mansion House - HM Treasury (http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/speech_chex_200607.htm)

Sprogget
8th May 2012, 15:01
On the subject of bank lending I have seen people complaining that the banks have asked for personal assets as security and when they have refused the loan has been turned down.What world are they living in? If you don't have enough faith in your business to do that why should anyone else have? Well that's a philosophical question about who shoulders the risk. It's equally arguable that if the bank charges interest on the loan, then it should assume the risk, or it's having it's cake and eating it.

The banks though are caught between the calls for more lending and the requirement to bolster their balance sheets. The two are not particularly compatible.

stuckgear
8th May 2012, 15:04
The banks though are caught between the calls for more lending and the requirement to bolster their balance sheets. The two are not particularly compatible.

yep and there's the rub. banks cant be more financially stable and expose themselves to risk based lending at the same time.

hellsbrink
8th May 2012, 15:11
And, no matter what the state of the financial system is, if you are going to the bank and saying you need a bigger or another loan when the numbers don't add up regarding your "income and expenditure" then they will have a tendency to refuse the loan or tell you to cut costs before getting the money.

The bottom line is you can't blame either the banks or Camerloon for what has caused the redundancies that are the reason for this thread.

The company was losing money, something had to give.

MagnusP
8th May 2012, 15:15
So, a company that can't get a loan because it's LOSING money (gee, I can't think about why a bank would refuse to loan money to a company that is LOSING money) which has workers who are willing to stab each other in the back (as you have just done in your post) has led to you losing your job and that is Cameron's fault........

You could take that paragraph, substitute "country" for "company", paste the damn lot into the EU hamsterwheel and watch some of the denizens wriggle.

hellsbrink
8th May 2012, 15:30
Naah, that one would be too easy.

hellsbrink
8th May 2012, 15:32
As a side note, though.

We have "Godwin's Law" for reasons we all know, but isn't it about time we had something similar for George W. Bush?

It's only a matter of time before the blame gets passed onto him.........

MagnusP
8th May 2012, 15:48
Yer a spoilsport twice there, hellsbrink. :p :p

Krystal n chips
8th May 2012, 18:12
" What I have discovered is yet another industry that is over regulated and a closed shop"

I will grant you over regulated..in part....but, and it's a rather big but...what sector would you envisage training in and hence being an assessor in...for starters....and then there's the little matter of training and your ability to train others.....if it was just a case of standing up in front of a class, inflicting "death by Powerpoint" and subsequently writing a glowing testimonial as to how Jessica and Dagsy managed to stay awake...then anybody could walk in from the street and claim to be a trainer....hence,, you need a combination of experience and qualifications....... as well as undergoing recognised trainer training to compliment the first two elements.

fireflybob
8th May 2012, 18:30
Cumulogranite - have to confess I am a big fan of what Randy Gage teaches - well worth looking at his philosophy - good luck!

Fighting Circumstances

Lon More
8th May 2012, 18:38
Bankers are in business to make money for themselves Seems to be true of many. Bosses of the FTSE top 100 companies have awarded themseles an average 11% increase this year whilst the value of the companies dropped 7% according to the Beeb. Probably lots of them on first-name basis with Camerloon.

Sprogget
8th May 2012, 18:40
Oh god. Spare us a bald life guru with garish furniture & conspicuous jewellery. Six minutes of my life it took him to say: Bad stuff may be your fault & change comes from within. Cosmic.

Seldomfitforpurpose
9th May 2012, 00:48
Six minutes of my life it took him to say: Bad stuff may be your fault & change comes from within. Cosmic.

Trouble is, and the OP demonstrates this in abundance, not all of us get that. Far too many folk blame there own shortcomings on anyone and anything rather than putting up their hand and admitting 'twas I that fecked up :=

Cumulogranite
9th May 2012, 09:41
Hellsbrink. Just as a matter of interest, how much do you earn as a special advisor to Call Me Dave?

I have a wealth of experience in the haulage industry, all won the hard way. I am not looking to train with death by powerpoint, I have enough background knowledge to make the subject intersting.

Surely banking is about taking risks, indeed it was these risks that got us into this mess in the first place. No bank will back me to set up a training company as I cant put any security down, it's not that i dont want to, I just dont have any savings and my house is in negative equity as it is!!

Finally I blame David Cameron for a very simple reason, Gordon Brown presided over the creation of this mess correct, but Cameron is the current incumbent in No10. It is up to him to do something about it only he hasn't got the balls to stand up to the bankers to play the game. So they restrict what they lend, small business suffers, yet they still seem to have the resources to pay billions in bonuses to themselves each year. They should be given the opportunity to sort themselves out properly, and if they dont the government should then impose it on them. How hard can it be for a prime minister to pass a law taxing bankers bonuses at 99.9% and use that money to set up a state business bank?

fireflybob
9th May 2012, 11:43
Trouble is, and the OP demonstrates this in abundance, not all of us get that. Far too many folk blame there own shortcomings on anyone and anything rather than putting up their hand and admitting 'twas I that fecked up

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Cacophonix
9th May 2012, 14:05
So they restrict what they lend, small business suffers, yet they still seem to have the resources to pay billions in bonuses to themselves each year.

Run/ran 2 small businesses (one of which I had to let go last year with the loss of 2 British jobs). All I can say is that getting a bank small business loan for anything at the moment in the UK is very difficult. Focussing offshore with a lot more success. It is tough but if one looks further afield there are glimmers of light.

As for some of the comments here I would suggest that not all of people posting here run their own businesses or, if they do, at least, seem to show a "I am allright stuff you jack attitude".

Ah well, I guess one should wish everyone the best. It is an ill wind that blows noone any good.

Wish you the best and keep on trucking Cumulogranite.

Caco

Edited to say here is an example of a business man who was prepared to take a risk... something that seems lacking in our little corporate UK bubble these days.

A member of the millionaire (http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/how-dominic-mcvey-became-a-millionaire-at-15.html)

fireflybob
9th May 2012, 17:31
“I've always wanted to make money,” he told ‘The Independent’. “When I was very young my dad told me that if I worked hard and went to university, I might be able to walk on to a plane and ‘turn left’ when I was in my 30s, but I wasn't prepared to wait that long.”

Not to mention being in hock to the bank for circa £100,000 and everything else that goes with decreasing Terms & Conditions - good job he ignored his dad's advice!!