PDA

View Full Version : How does alcohol affect you?

Tableview
7th May 2012, 11:41
It might seem like an odd question but I'm motivated to ask for several reasons.

I have always been a pretty light drinker (that doesn't mean I drink light, pretty pink drinks!), and most of the time when I'm out I'm driving and therefore drink nothing, but even I don't have to drive, I rarely drink more than two or three glasses of wine or a couple of beers in the course of a day, and I might have a tot of whisky or a liqueur once a week, which seems very little compared to many people. In fact I was almost tee-total for several years.

I was at a dinner party the other day and, being outspoken and holding different, and often unacceptable to many people, views, which I am not shy to express I became involved in an interesting discussion, which although strongly expressed, was not personal or abusive. About 3 of the 9 people present shared my views but weren't as vocal about it.

As usual, I had had nothing to drink and as I got up from the table to go to the loo, I heard one of the people present say : "Imagine what he'd be like with a few drinks inside him!"

Usually, if I've had a few drinks, I relax, keep quiet and fall asleep. It doesn't give me any 'Dutch courage' or make me more agressive or obnoxious - perhaps I just don't need alcohol to be aggressive and obnoxious!

Just curious to know other views on this.

redsnail
7th May 2012, 11:50
How it affects me probably depends on the mood I'm in before I have a drinky.

However, I'm always quiet and shy. Just ask any 100 of my close personal friends. :E

OFSO
7th May 2012, 11:53
As a terrible stimulant: heart, nervous system, brain. Hyper for hours, heart pounding, face flushed, jerkey movements. Remedy seems to not drink more than one bottle of red with lunch.

(Seriously: one glass of red a day does no harm. Anything more, effects as above).

sisemen
7th May 2012, 12:01
I'm an incredibly polite and courteous drunk.

Way, way back I was presented with a tankard in Aviemore for being on an RAF Mountain Rescue Team. The rule was that the tankard had to be filled with a spirit and it had to be downed "in one" :eek:

Fortunately, I only had to take one hearty swig while standing on a table before the tankard was passed around. But the hearty swig was probably more vodka than I would have drunk in 5 years.

I eventually decided that I would be better back in the land rover than in the bar; found our particular landr over amongst several very similar RAF ones in a very full car park; dropped the tailgate and lay with my mouth over the gap 'tween tailgate and the rest and proceeded to puke mightily.

No mess, no bother. I can remember someone passing and saying "Urgh, it's those bloody mountain rescue guys again".

The day after was awful. :{

racedo
7th May 2012, 12:04
I heard one of the people present say : "Imagine what he'd be like with a few drinks inside him!"

A reply heard many years ago that still seems so apt was the non drinker replying
"I might actually start to tolerate A:mad:s more if I had drink inside me, not completely sure but I might".

Always though was a good response.

anotherthing
7th May 2012, 12:20
... it makes me much better looking :)

UniFoxOs
7th May 2012, 12:30
and much wittier.

UFO

RJM
7th May 2012, 12:35
I used to drink A LOT, and it used to lead me into trouble. I'd wake up in strange places, and strange situations.

Now, I rarely drink. Other than one cold beer on a hot day, I prefer the taste of fruit juice, or cold water. I no longer appreciate, or can no longer tolerate, the lack of precision that comes with being even mildly drunk. I'm not against anyone else drinking though, particularly women whose inhibitions may be affected.

So I'm not a wowser, but I do find it funny to hear about police with sniffer dogs going into hotel bars on busy nights to look for drugs. :rolleyes:

sirwa69
7th May 2012, 12:49
Hic! Hic! Hic!

The SSK
7th May 2012, 12:52
I don't have a drink problem
I drink
I get drunk
I fall over
No problem

Or

I have a drink problem
Two hands and only one mouth

Just musing over a couple of long-lost tee-shirts

sitigeltfel
7th May 2012, 12:55
I used to enjoy reasonable quantities of beer, but as I get older I have noticed it has been giving me headaches and making me irritable. Likewise spirits.
Tis a good thing that, apart from the obvious, wine has no side effects whatsoever :ok:

Fareastdriver
7th May 2012, 13:02
I'm not an alcoholic:
I'm a drunk:
Alcoholics go to meetings.

I bought a car sticker with that on in the States.

I was advised by a plod to take it off.

bnt
7th May 2012, 13:10
There was a time, when I was an "angry young man", when even light drinking would sharpen my tongue severely, leading to potentially dangerous situations. Or so I was told - I didn't drink sufficiently often to gather sufficient data, thankfully. I can't pinpoint the time when that stopped happening - probably my late 20s, but it's not a worry any more. Now I just get "mellow", and have no wish to get more than tipsy.

After moving to Ireland, I learned that what I called "drunk" wasn't really, by the standards of the people I was around. I don't mean just the locals: I used to share a house with a bunch of Scandinavians, who drank like they were rehearsing for Valhalla. I also knew a few Belgians and Germans, some of whom drank quite a lot, too. I couldn't compete, even if I wanted to, which I didn't. I learned that when they said "have a few drinks", they meant "have a lot of drinks". :yuk:

So now, if I go out, I have a couple of drinks, slowing down over the evening. By the end of the evening, I can make a shot of Cognac last two hours, inhaling it more than drinking it. Young people think I'm weird, but it means that I always leave the pub close to sober, and don't get any more than the mildest hangover.

lomapaseo
7th May 2012, 13:13
I have found that a small swig works great for morning mouth,

SpringHeeledJack
7th May 2012, 14:25
I'm an aggressive drunk and like nothing better than some fisticuffs with whomever I can lay my fists on. You lookin' at me ? I'll 'ave you with one hand tied behind my back!

:}

SHJ

Storminnorm
7th May 2012, 15:06
Alcohol never affects me at all now.
I stopped drinking the stuff many years ago.

One could qualify as a member of the Salvation Army now .

BEWARE THE DEMON DRINK!!!

pudoc
7th May 2012, 15:12
My biggest mistake ever was taking aspirin all throughout the day, over 1000mg, and then going out for a big big night out.

Whoops.

Solid Rust Twotter
7th May 2012, 15:13
In moderation not much effect. In excess I get sleepy and bored.

probes
7th May 2012, 15:27
With me it depends on what kind of demon drink I've fallen victim to. Wine generally just makes me sleepy, maybe that's why I prefer beer. And champagne (but not the same night, God forbid. The only occasion when I had a total blackout was after a couple of beers and a couple of glasses of champagne - really, just a couple,and I remember it very well even after the decades that have passed :}). I didn't use to drink beer at all until I joined a student choir, and our 'social occasions' were always beer-parties, sometimes several choirs together, and to be the only one among around 300 who has not drunk any...
Well, now I choose the place for eating out according to their beer (on tap, of course) - if I'm not driving. The limit is 3 pints per night, otherwise I'll have a headache next morning (but sometimes one has to take the consequences...). And a couple after the sauna, of course. (A Finn told if you have drunk a little too much, you should have some cognac to 'cap' it - well, they should know, I guess).
When I'm getting kinda-drunk, I talk even more and faster than I usually do, and laugh more. And feel joyful. People seem smarter and friendlier. And the lot :p.
But I don't like to fall asleep drunk, so I try to sober up as much as possible, if possible.
And I don't like strong alcohol, unless it's cold inside (mostly outside then, too) and a good gulp of cognac, whiskey (Irish) or vodka will make the blood circulate again.

But, Tableview:
I became involved in an interesting discussion
what was the discussion?

KAG
7th May 2012, 15:55
That's the kind of question we'd asked about drugs...

Wait, alcohol is a drug right?

Anything that affects your nervous system is wrong, as simple as that.

Your nervous system when influenced by some chemicals (drugs) is not working properly.

Now our society needs to relax, escape, forget about its problems with drugs.
Alright.

But if each time you drink a whiskey you'd run 35 minutes instead, I believe the personal and overall result would be much more efficient.

Drug (including the legal ones like Alcohol) are for lazy people who'd prefer damage their nervous system instead of facing life and have social discussion with their own personality.

How does alcohol affects people? Without alcohol we would have so much less rape, crime, murderer, car accident, un-meaningful discussion and hang over...

G-CPTN
7th May 2012, 16:01
Denmark has two words to describe 'drunk'.

One translates as intoxicated, the other translates as full.

Flaymy
7th May 2012, 16:08
I just think it's odd that some people, always among those who claim to be tolerant and demand tolerance, are so intolerant of other people's views.

As for alcohol - it tends to reduce inhibitions. Therefore if you usually are quiet because you are a bit introverted you will get louder. However if you are a talker because you fill silences and hide behind a gregarious personality you might get quieter. However that is a gross generalisation, and I find that my mood determines how alcohol affects me.

Of course I only drink for the health benefits. Teetotallers have lower life expectancy than even heavy drinkers, and drinking moderately is very good for lifespan. The fact that I started 25 years ago and the health benefits are only now being admitted by researchers simply means I am good at predicting future scientific developments.

Flaymy
7th May 2012, 16:09
Fareastdriver - I hope you told plod where to get off.

probes
7th May 2012, 16:18
Anything that affects your nervous system is wrong, as simple as that.

Sure, but it feels so good sometimes! :p

KAG
7th May 2012, 16:21
Flaymay: no worries, almost the whole pprune community believes that drinking alcohol is healthy and a good thing.
You are on the good side of the fence, your point of view is in no way threatened... No need to try to prove anything here, unless you talk to me only.

Alcohol is a desaster for any doctor not paid by the alcohol lobby.
Not so long time ago you still could find studies proving the benefit from smoking coming directly from doctors. History is repeating itslef.

Cancer rate is increasing, liver deseases are increasing, alcohol consumption is increasing, women drink less than men and are healthier, but of course there is no link obviously. We are too stupid to join the dots ourselves, we need huge studies paid millions to say drinking is healthy. Are we that naive?

As for the ones telling everybody they have a good health despite the fact ( or because) they drink: they have never thought even once that without alcohol their health would be even better and live even longer?

Anyway there is much more money to make (billions) proving alcohol is healthy than not. But being a victim is not enough, we also have to advertise the benefit of alcohol to give ourselves the confidence we are doing the right think drinking. It would ask ourselves so much more efforts not too drink than continue anyway...
Perfect world...

hellsbrink
7th May 2012, 16:31
What kind of drunk am I? Well, that depends. Generally, I get very calm and relaxed, no embarrassing things like singing/dancing/etc, and enjoy the company I am with.

But my tolerance to idiots and those trying to preach to me does lower considerably, with a short sentence with few syllables in the words indicating that you may have said enough for the moment used before walking away being the usual happening. If you keep up the same after that, then the response is usually far less restrained.

But that's because of someone else being a total <expletive deleted>, and not because of me being a "nasty drunk".

KAG
7th May 2012, 16:40
Are the effect of alcohol some of you describe here could be compared with the effects from cannabis?

The Distilled Spirits Council spend billions lobbying the government, paying doctors and advertising, when we read pprune we can say with confidence that it works, keep up the good job...

------------------------------------------------------------
Care to be informed?

Jobs and Health Concerns

But the alcohol lobby’s most popular weapon against industry taxes is the jobs argument.

One victory listed in the Distilled Spirits Council’s slide show was the defeat in 2010 of a nickel-per-drink fee in San Francisco. The largest alcohol maker in the world, Diageo, created a political group to fight similar fees.

“It was a hospitality coalition that was funded by Diageo to essentially tell the stories that if a nickel-a-drink mitigation fee went through that all kinds of bartenders and servers in San Francisco would lose their jobs,” said Sarah Mart of the Marin Institute, which supported the fee.

Mayor Gavin Newsom eventually vetoed the bill.

“I cannot support this unnecessary and harmful new fee that will hurt our City's economy and cost us jobs at a time when we most need them," the mayor said in a press release.

Many health policy advocates argue that increased alcohol taxes and “fees for harm,” like the San Francisco proposal, are justified. They say alcohol prices do not adequately cover the alcohol-related health costs which are subsidized by everyone, whether they drink or not.

“With alcohol we have a situation where tremendous subsidies make it so cheap,” said Alexander Wagenaar, a social epidemiologist at the University of Florida. “With all of the emergency costs, assaults, car crashes — the list goes on — a high proportion of those costs are being paid for by all of us.”

Researchers like Wagenaar say alcohol taxes increase revenue and reduce alcohol-related problems at the same time, a double benefit to any state. A 2009 study showed tax increases in Alaska reduced alcohol-related deaths.

But Wagenaar said he’s observed that alcohol industry representatives generally downplay the related health costs of alcohol consumption at legislative hearings.

“They pretty consistently minimize the wealth of information related to health showing when taxes go up and death and disease rate goes down,” said Wagenaar. “They minimize that because it’s contrary to their interests.”

Another tactic used by the industry is the funding of a proprietary scientific research arm to bolster its positions. Eleven of the biggest alcohol companies in the world sponsor a research group called the International Center for Alcohol Policies.

The Center produced a report that argued against using alcohol taxes as a health-policy tool and disputed studies similar to Wagenaar’s. It pointed out that alcoholism remains high in Ireland, a country with high alcohol taxes.

But in 2005, 59 economists signed a letter to Congress stating that federal alcohol tax increases were long overdue. The economists contend that an advantage of alcohol taxes is that price increases generally don’t stop people from buying alcohol.

“They raise a lot of money because demand is not terribly elastic,” said Willard Manning. “It’s easy to collect the money and hard to evade it.”

Even during the recent recession, alcohol demand has not dropped proportionally, according to industry analysts.

“People always pay taxes on alcohol and tobacco,” said Esther Kwon, an investment analyst at Standard & Poor’s. “Those are less sensitive to pricing. The consumers don't really see the taxes.”

The people who do see the taxes are the business owners that have to pay alcohol taxes directly off their bottom lines, like wineries and breweries.

“They want to know when the juice officially has been turned into wine,” said Katie Grassini, a California winemaker. “The government and alcohol producers have to do a lot of paperwork just to gather a small amount of taxes.”

Flaymy
7th May 2012, 17:05
KAG

What evidence do you have that any of the researchers are paid by the alcohol lobby?

I am not talking about doctors, there is no reason they would know about this. In fact, given that they see people who are ill due to alcohol and not those who are healthy due to alcohol, they have every reason to have a serious bias in their view of this. That is, I strongly suspect, the origin of the misinformation about alcohol, given that doctors are so supportive of the propaganda.

Recent research following three groups over a long period, one group who did not drink, one group who drank moderately and one group who drank heavily found that the group with the lowest life expectancy was the group that did not drink. Nothing paid by any drink lobby, they do not pay for such research. Another, older study suggested that alcohol does not reduce life expectancy for men until regularly drinking over 80 units per week.

That fits with an interview I read with one of the team that originally wrote the UK government guidelines. They looked at the research available at the time and chose the very lowest recommendation they thought they could given that research. However this was at a time when government was working hard against drink driving, and their figure did not fit with this, so they halved it. This suggests that the very strictest advice they could give from then research was that 42 units per week would not harm a man.

Have you never once thought that someone healthy who drinks might have had cancer if he did not drink?

Have you never been told the fundamental truism of statistics that correlation does not imply causation? Yes, I mean that, not only is correlation not evidence of causation, to a statistician it does not even imply causation. You are therefore using a completely false argument there.

Halfbaked_Boy
7th May 2012, 17:13
I usually end up getting into a fight with some t**t. If I'm in the mood I might smash up the local 24 hour garage's night payment window too, which I've learnt to do AFTER I've bought something - I got into a fight with the assistant once before when I demanded serving AFTER I'd put a nice few cracks in his window.

I know it's been a good night when I go to my car in the morning and find it's (and those of the rest of the cars up the street) wing mirrors smashed in, then remember it was me about 5 hours previous...

anotherthing
7th May 2012, 17:17
KAG

you say cancer rates are increasing. That's because screening is more effective... cancer detection rates are increasing. There's a difference.

Survivability of cancer is increasing - taken as a percentage, which is a meaningful figure. That's pretty much across the board for all cancers, not just the 'minor' ones such as prostate.

Data available on Cancer Research UK website, if you're interested in facts.

The benefits of the odd glass of red wine have long been acknowledged across the medical profession. I think you need to check your facts and your sources, instead of just trying to back up your personal view with questionable qoutes/figures.

con-pilot
7th May 2012, 18:36
KAG, I've come to a conclusion.

You are absolutely no fun what so ever. :p

Slasher
7th May 2012, 18:54
I get a bit aggro if some annoying arrogant bastard pisses me off, with a deep
inbuilt need to beat the shit out of somebody who desperately needs it (which
is why I no longer make posts when I'm tanked as a newt). But when in good
company I'm jokey and laughy, but do bot the odd smoke which makes me a
bit of a shit at times to smokers.

I get rather horny too which is why I tend to make a complete social arsehole
of meself especially in the presence of large-boobed ladies. :ouch:

Katamarino
7th May 2012, 19:01
Tonight, I had too many beers. I ended up being pushed down the stairs of a Chinese scam bar (no injuries), and walking out shouting in Chinese "You're all bastards". On the plus side, I did not actually get scammed.

So, you tell me...

merlinxx
7th May 2012, 19:14
how to fall off the floor:E

OFSO
7th May 2012, 19:16
Being abstemious oneself does not save one. I would ocasionally go out with a lady friend, after two small beers she would get fighting drunk, climb on the table and in strident tones denounce all German men as being useless f*ckers with small willies who were no good in bed. Interesting as she was herself German. I would then have the task of extracating her from the bar before she started swinging piledrivers and flattening Sons of the Nibelung who thought she was joking.

She died before she was 60 with a non-functioning liver. I don't often agree with KAG but this one time and related to one individual who should never have picked up a glass, I do, because when sober she was a great mate.

But one glass of red anti-oxident a day ? No problems and it is vital for a long life along with lots of garlic, zinc, vitamen C and Omega 3/6, and ten minutes sunlight a day. And a nice purring pussy to stroke in the evening.

spInY nORmAn
7th May 2012, 20:42
Remember - it's only binge drinking if you stop!

Finally, wisdom that I can live with.

ShyTorque
7th May 2012, 22:27
How does alcohol affect you?

I can't remember.

I'll have to ask one of my three kids, names of Heineken, Grolsch and Oktoberfest. :}

racedo
7th May 2012, 22:31
The binge drinking culture was historically primarily young and in the 16-25 year old who enjoyed doing it but as normality i.e. Job / Marraige / Sprogs tended to hit then drinkers slowed down as family stability changed what was happening.

It didn't stop guys going on the lash at weekends but age and life changed it from every night to just at weekends.

Now with more available cash, home drinking and other stuff the 25 year old generation time change has largely disappeared so drinking longer and longer over years has evolved.

The Emergency rooms show the effects at weekends but the Liver disease statistics in 10 years time will show the effects seen by NHS and paid for by everyone as people struggle to understand what is happening to their body albeit too late to do anything.

vulcanised
7th May 2012, 22:37
It's over 30 years since I drank any alcohol.

I reckon a sniff of the barmaid's apron would get me quite squiffy now.

ShyTorque
7th May 2012, 22:39
I reckon a sniff of the barmaid's apron would get me quite squiffy now.

Same here, depending on what she'd wiped with it. :p

Capt Claret
7th May 2012, 23:02
However, I'm always quiet and shy. Just ask any 100 of my close personal friends. :E

Fkuc that hurt. I fell out of bed when I read that! :}

Fox3WheresMyBanana
7th May 2012, 23:39
I have always been fortunate to stop enjoying the taste before I did something really stupid.

Some thoughts, mostly unoriginal.

An alcoholic is someone who drinks as much as you do, whom you don't like.

"Binge drinking", or as we call it in England, "drinking"...

The Road of Excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom (William Blake, that one)

Alcohol relieves stress, of which there is too much in the modern world. Sometimes stress builds up when you are unable to tell some total tw#t what you really think of them. Add alcohol and.......

finally...

Riding motorcycles down Mess corridors is not really stupid.
Walking down Mess corridors when other people are riding motorcycles IS really stupid.:E

Loose rivets
8th May 2012, 02:24
I just looked back to see if I could find my post, Little Red Dress. It probably was the pinnacle of my booze-fueled barmyness. Just as well I couldn't find it.

I was having to be in the right hand seat again after being in command, but was with a smashing bloke on our way to Tenerife. We ended up going island to island with the weather clamping just as we got there.

Smell of fuel in the tanks, and suddenly we were in. I poured a drink.

After dinner I felt kind of uninhibited. The wine had added to the half bottle of gin I'd used for a gin and orange. For some reason, our passengers didn't want to join in with the dancing. There was just me, and a lovely lass in a little red (uniform) dress. Come to think of it, I was in uniform too. We'd not intended to be there, and the hotel had been opened just for our flight.

I offered to sing. I can't sing. I offered to entertain our guests/passengers. My offer was declined. I danced. I can't dance . . . one of the Rivetess' greatest disappointments, I can't dance a step. I could never see the point, until this night, when I had become Fred Astair.

Now it was time to show off my physical prowess. She was a big girl, but I thought it would be neat to pick her up and hold her above my head. Whatever was under that little red dress, was slippy. (ho ho)

She didn't say much. Nothing in fact. She just stood there in the middle of the dance floor with the little red dress around her neck. Give them their due, the band didn't miss a beat. Well, apart from the trumpeter, he hit a note not many trumpeters can ever reach. Apart from that all was quite normal.

The nice bloke suggested I take my uniform off. That's when the crew decided they'd carry me to my room. I'd agreed, you see, and already the steps taken toward nakedness had passed normal . . . nay, even airline, boundaries.

Nice bloke not telling on me. Wonder what happened to him.

reynoldsno1
8th May 2012, 05:38
Used to get pissed most Friday nights, but realised some years ago that it was just a habit and I wasn't really enjoying it. I stopped abruptly, and have never missed it. I do have a very occasional beer or wine, and now find my tolerance is virtually non-existent.

What I have found is that "society" seems to find it difficult or awkward that someone would give up 'drinking' voluntarily - it seems there must always be some sort of 'underlying problem'. People apparently have more of an issue with not drinking, rather than drinking :hmm:

probes
8th May 2012, 06:20
that's really funny - and the only acceptable 'excuses' seem to be either driving or medication. :suspect:

Solid Rust Twotter
8th May 2012, 06:32
I only drink beer. On top of that, I only drink beer from a small brewery in which I own a few shares, and then only at the brewery. When I get around to making the odd bucket of home brewed beer, I'll keg it and perhaps have one or two with friends at home around the braai with loads of red meat.:E

So far, so good. Blood pressure, lungs, heart, eyesight and hearing of a teenager according to the chancre mechanic who does my flight medicals every six months.

ricardian
8th May 2012, 07:36
When I read of court cases involving alcohol-related offences and the accused blames 12 pints of lager I wonder how they manage it. I couldn't drink 12 pints of anything!

Fareastdriver
8th May 2012, 10:25
Some posters, especially KAG, write great tomes threatening death and destruction on anyone that takes a glass of alcohol a day. The proof of the pudding is in the stats that KAG is so adept at pasting. There are three groups of people involved with alcohol. They are:

1. Those that can afford to and do. Most Europeans and Americans.
2. Those that can afford to and don’t. Moslems of the Middle East.
3. Those that cannot afford to and don’t. Moslems of North Africa.

The measure can be taken from the male life expectancy from a selection of countries from each section.

1. United Kingdom, 75.94
Norway 76.78
France 75.96
Italy 76.75
Greece 76.59

2. Kuwait 76.01
UAE 72.73
Oman 70.92
Saudi Arabia 73.46

3 Morocco 70.66
Algeria 71.45
Libya 74.29
Egypt 68.50

Extras
Australia 77.52
USA 74.89

It is obvious that with the exception of Kuwait, arguably the most westernised of the Arab states, those that don’t drink don’t live as long as those that do. One can highlight medical facilities but it can be argued that if one does not drink then one’s medical requirements are less so they balance each other out; coupled with the fact that in some countries the medical facilities are first class.

Does it matter? In three years time I will, in UK terms, be on a bonus so I don’t see why I should change the habit of a lifetime.

Tankertrashnav
8th May 2012, 11:37
Post 51 - time for some thread drift.

To paraphrase Woody Allen, I missed the 60s because I was in the RAF (left school at 17 and went straight in) and so I missed the whole student experience of the late 60s which would otherwise have been my lot.

Consequently when I went to uni as a mature student in my 40s I decided to try out what I had missed 25 years earlier, and that of course included experimenting with drugs.

I dipped my toe in the water by trying cannabis, and on occasions smoked a few joints with an ageing hippy who lived in our flat. On one
occasion we were watching an old film (Ice Cold in Alex, as I recall) as Rob rolled joint after joint which we shared. By the the time John Mills et al were downing the Carlsbergs in that bar, Rob was declaring himself to be totally stoned. I found that an equivalent amount of cannabis had had virtually no effect on me, and I was thinking I could murder a Carlsberg myself.

I'm quite convinced that a lot of soft drugs mainly affect those who buy into the whole experience - personally I always found the rituals surrounding them (passing round joints etc) rather silly, and I now put them in the same category as alternative medicines - only really effective if you believe in them.

Anyone else want to put their hand up to trying illegal drugs, and if so what effect did they have?

Storminnorm
8th May 2012, 11:52
Much the same experience as you TTNav, but in Amsterdam.
BIL, who is now an old Doctor, was a raving Hippy and brought
the cannabis home by the bucketful from his "Farm" in Friesland.

Stuck to smoking Drum or Samson tobacco eventually. (which I still do.)

DX Wombat
8th May 2012, 12:10
Anyone else want to put their hand up to trying illegal drugs, and if so what effect did they have? I don't drink alcohol, but have no problem with those who do so sensibly, nor have I ever smoked or taken illegal substances. I would, however, like to repeat something which I may have posted previously. Several years ago there was a tv programme about social deprivation in three areas of the UK one of which was a particularly notorious area of Bradford. One little girl featured prominently. She was about seven years old. Several of her family, including a twelve years old boy, took drugs and, from memory which may not be correct, I think her mother was both an alcoholic and drug addict. When asked what she thought about drugs and drink her comment was "I think drugs are better than drink because drugs don't make you nasty." It still upsets me to think of that child and her little sisters and I often wonder what became of them. I am not advocating the taking of illegal substances, simply putting forward the opinion, gained from personal experience, of one little girl.
Something else of which you should be aware is Foetal Alcohol Syndrome (http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol-and-you/family/foetal-alcohol-syndrome)which devastates lives.

lomapaseo
8th May 2012, 14:11
I live in Florida's Friendliest Village

a drinking community with a golfing problem

Tableview
8th May 2012, 14:29
Many years ago I went to a Hash House Harrier run. I think they call themselves a drinking club with a running problem! It may have been bad luck with the one I joined but it was the most idiotic and immature group of people I've had the misfortune to meet. Their whole life centred around getting 'legless' and then bragging about it.

Storminnorm
8th May 2012, 15:14
Sounds like your average Rugby Club then?