PDA

View Full Version : Vickers VC numbers

R for Robert
11th Mar 2002, 01:44
Following the tail end of the periscope thread, as best as I can discover without more detailed research, this is the list of the Vickers VC series of aircraft. . .. .VC1 Viking. .. .VC2 Viscount. .. .VC3 Proposed civil development of Varsity. .. .VC4 A 3 engined airliner for the North Atlantic. This had one engine in each wing root and the third between the other two on the bottom centreline of the fuselage. It was realised that three engines were insufficient thus the design became four engined. . .. .VC5 A long range transport based on the Valiant for BOAC.. .. .VC6 Similar to the VC5 but short range for BEA.. .. .VC7 Also known as the V1000. This was a long range airliner based on the Valiant but with low set wings. Engines were placed in the wing roots as in the Valiant. VC7 was also applied to another design of which no details are to hand.. .. .VC8 A design concept of which no details are immediately available.. .. .VC9 Vanguard. .. .VC10 VC10. .. .VC11 A short range VC10. .. .VC12 1-11 ( Originally the Hunting type 107) . .. .Further to the above is the lineage that led to the VC10 to which VC designations were not applied.. .. .Jet Viscount. ( 2 Tays replacing 4 darts} . . |. .Jet Viscount with Vanguard wing + pylon engines.. . |. .Jet Viscount rear engined tri-jet.. . |. .Jet Viscount / Vanguard as Mk1 Vanjet.. . |. .Vanjet Mk2 thru 15 with both twin and trijet layouts, some designs with the Valiant wing.. . |. .Vanjet in two versions, Short to medium haul for BEA with RR Avons and long haul for BOAC with RR Conways. Both were trijets.. . |. .Fourth engine added for the BOAC version finalised as the Vanjet.. . |. .Final version of the VC10 also known as the V1100. . .. .Regards,. .R. . . . <small>[ 10 March 2002, 21:47: Message edited by: R for Robert ]</small>

Actuals
28th Mar 2002, 03:01
Robert.. .. .I believe that the VC8 was actually used for the -800 series Viscounts such as the examples operated by "Northeast", e.g G-AOHG/H/I etc. (These later became BA Regional aircraft from 1976 onwards) VC7 was still applied to series 700 aircraft where applicable.. .. .Cheers

Pom Pax
28th Mar 2002, 10:27
We have been down this track before, I quote Spiney Norman's explaination on the Periscope thread in full. R for Roberts list is of the manufacture's production codes.. . . .. . </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Hi all.. .The codes that RSD is quoteing are ICAO aircraft type codes which are used for flight plan and ATC info. They don't neccessarily have any relevence to the actual type codes used by the aircraft manufacturer. They also change every few years which we ATC guys really love! As for the Valiant,I'm afraid I can't remember that one but the Vulcan was definately VULC at one time or other. By the way, I'm not shouting, even though they were lovely and loud! The codes are always in capitals. There is an ICAO annex which gives them all, it's pages thick and covers even very esoteric home built aircraft. Insomnia? Get hold of a copy.. .Spiney . .. . </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">. . . . <small>[ 28 March 2002, 06:28: Message edited by: Pom Pax ]</small>

BEagle
28th Mar 2002, 18:16
...and just to add further confusion, the Super VC10 used to be a 'VC15' on flight plans!

Spiney Norman
29th Mar 2002, 01:19
VC15...Ahh yes, I remember it well!. .. .Spiney

Jhieminga
29th Mar 2002, 01:47
And just to add to the confusion:. .While the 'Vickers Commercial' numbers applied to a specific aircraft type, each type would also have several specific type numbers from Vickers to distinguish between subtypes. The BOAC Standard VC10 was type 1101, the BUA ones were type 1103, the RAF C Mk 1 type 1106, etcetera. The Super VC10 type numbers were 1151 for the BOAC model and 1154 for the EAA version. This might explain the 'VC15' ICAO designator for the Super.. .. .So now we have a Vickers VC10 type 1151 with ICAO designator VC15. Anyone still following all of this?. .. .<a href="http://Fly.to/VC10" target="_blank">http://Fly.to/VC10</a>. . . . <small>[ 28 March 2002, 21:49: Message edited by: VC10 ]</small>

Spiney Norman
29th Mar 2002, 12:26
...A couple of days ago we had an RAF Tristar visit and the RAF flight ops people filed the flight plan with the aircraft type as TRIS, (they swore that this was a military designator). When it reached the Brussels flight planning computer it blew a gasket! A Trislander at FL330!!! Well, I suppose they do both have three engines but you'd never get an L101 into Alderney!. .. .Spiney

skippyscage
30th Mar 2002, 02:04
I thought the flight plan designation for the Trislander was BN3 (going back to my time in GCI ATC)

Spiney Norman
31st Mar 2002, 16:54
Hi Skippyscage.
They changed a load of the aircraft type designators last year and I think this was one. (Although as I don't see many Trislanders were I work I couldn't gaurantee this was in the most recent change). Your right about the old code being BN3. Remember the BN2? Well it's now BN2P. Oh my gawd! I just looked at the ICAO aircraft designator annex...Please helppppp!! :eek:

skippyscage
31st Mar 2002, 18:03
typical!

when people get used to stuff they change it - wonder why? :mad:

can't think of anything else that would confict with BN*

maybe they thought people had forgotten they were made by Brittan Norman and couldn't make the connection - now thay are Pilatus - or did they change back again recently - I forget

so now TRIS sounds like Trislander and Tristar (both geting rare)

so what was the old code for Tristar - L101? - didn't get any of them down in Guernsey! (except a couple of times on low approach and go-around's when the SATCO wasn't looking!) :D

I wonder if the light aircraft I fly have changed designations? - mmm