PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Jet Surrey?

CaptainSox
5th May 2012, 16:03
Just sitting at home roughly Woking Surrey area and heard (16:45) what must have been a fighter jet going hell for leather towards the West, did not see it but Im pretty sure I can tell the differance between a commercial and a fighter!

Anyone know what it possibly could of been for?

Cheers:ok:

CaptainSox
5th May 2012, 16:21
Oh thank you for correcting my grammer GAPSTER, I was just soooo excited!:}

Waterfordman
5th May 2012, 16:43
Olympic test flights perhaps ?

Exercise this weekend over London

SpringHeeledJack
5th May 2012, 16:53
A single Typhoon flew directly over one's abode at 16.45 pm, scooting along under 2,000m at a guess :8 heading east towards the Olympic site. A brief moment of excitement and then it was over. Also saw several RN Lynx and Seaking helicopters up and down the Thames this morning, no doubt from the ship moored at Greenwich.

SHJ

CaptainSox
5th May 2012, 17:25
Sorry I did mean EAST in my earlier post.

Thanks SpringHeeledJack I thought I could have been hearing things and glad I can tell the differance.

Pretty cool wish I could have seen it. Thought It could be a typhoon from Northolt but would have been going the long way round to the Olympics.

cfmdobbie
5th May 2012, 20:34
(Just registered for a single post...)

In Ashford, Surrey we heard the same thing at approx the same time - but we heard two fly overs a few minutes apart.

At just after 21:00 there were again two fly overs by something with a high-performance engine, but dark and clouds obscured what it was. Given the above, I'm guessing it was likely another couple of Typhoons.

smallpilot
5th May 2012, 20:40
Just heard something louder than the usual airliners close to SEN about 21.30 -any ideas?

pax britanica
5th May 2012, 22:02
Ashford Surrey?-Middx still surely.
Anyway thats very very close to LHR isnt it-
Are n't ultra high performance jets racing around in the London TMA almost as much of a danger than what they are trying to prevent?

i am sure there is proper ATC involvment but while say LHR departues could readily be halted 'sterilising' the whole TMA would have pretty big knock on effects
PB

SpringHeeledJack
6th May 2012, 06:24
There was also a sortie at around 21.00 last night and there will no doubt be a few more until the 10th May when the exercise comes to an end, so keep your eyes and ears peeled ;)

SHJ

DaveReidUK
6th May 2012, 12:16
Ashford Surrey?-Middx still surely.

Actually, no. It was up to 1965, though.