PDA

View Full Version : Rolls Royce Avon question...

John Hill
5th May 2012, 10:26
Someone must know how to take an Avon apart!

Our aviation musuem has a very sad looking RR Avon which we would like to put on display. We could scrub it up, treat the rust and a lick of paint.

However some of us would like to be a bit more ambitious and hope to open the engine up to show the insides.

I have searched for information but I cant find information on how to dismantle the engine. For example although it appears the 'top' half of the primpary compressor could just be unbolted and lifted out I see other references which tend to indicate these engines are dismantled by standing them face down on a rubber pad and I assume taking bits off from the rear end.

Please, does anyone know how to open one of these by non-distructive means?

Thanks

NutLoose
5th May 2012, 10:30
The ones we had were horizontal with the tops off as training aids, John register here and ask, some of these guys look after the running Lightnings at Bruntingthorpe

Historic Aviation - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)

John Hill
5th May 2012, 10:39
Thanks Nutloose, I have posted there too on the Historic Aviation forum.

John:ok:

NutLoose
5th May 2012, 10:49
These guys have been doing the odd engine too, they might have one.

Newcastle Aviation Academy Restorations - Page 5 - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=104417&page=5)

John Hill
5th May 2012, 11:04
Thanks for that, I must study that topic! They made a nice job of that Nene(?), I think we have one of those under a pile of dead helicopters in a storage hangar. If the Avon is out of scope we might try the Nene (or maybe both).

NutLoose
5th May 2012, 11:11
Normal builds we're done vertically etc, but seem to remember you could split the case on the Avon, but it was a lifetime ago I did my training on them, I did take a sledgehammer etc to a load of Servicable Avons the RAF were scrapping at the time to render them unusable... :(

ironchefflay
5th May 2012, 12:25
you could always contact rolls wood group or the like, they still use avons as industrlial turbines. they might be able to help with info on Aero Avons

John Hill
6th May 2012, 01:12
I have sent a number of emails to firms advertising for repair and maintenance of these engines but none have replied, perhaps they are shied off by potential liability issues.:confused:

Krystal n chips
6th May 2012, 04:53
You could try contacting the RAF Museums at either Cosford or Hendon....the one at Cosford certainly has an Avon on display and opened up in part at least.

bvcu
7th May 2012, 20:08
Compressor case unbolted and lifted off from horizontal position on 100/200 series , remember a few out of hunters for fod inspections. Unbolt and lift . Someone must have a manual somewhere !

John Hill
8th May 2012, 03:16
Thanks, it looks too easy (after we get all those bolts out!).

It is a 200 series, ex Hunter most likely.

taffyhammer
9th May 2012, 14:13
From the dim and distant past; I do remember you had to slide some plates eithe side of the compressor casing top half prior to lifting to stop the stator blades falling out!!::uhoh:

Engineer_aus
5th Jun 2012, 10:25
Contact the Temora Aviation Museum in NSW.
Temora Aviation Museum :: Videos :: Temora Aviation Museum Aviation (http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/)

Mark 1
5th Jun 2012, 15:48
Have you tried contacting the RR Heritage Trust?
[email protected]

I know their are several knowledgeable retired ex-RR employees involved especially with the Hucknall museum.

mtoroshanga
5th Jun 2012, 19:20
Suggest you bite the bullet and get on the Old Rhodesian Air Force Sods website
Norman Ely and Keith Bruce probably can be more to help you than anyone with RR currently
Good luck

Rabina
7th Jun 2012, 18:12
My $ 0.02, contact either the Hunter Club in Interlaken Startseite - Hunterverein Interlaken (http://www.huver.ch) or RUAG Aerospace in Interlaken who used to work on all the Swiss Avons. They stopped any Hunter work almost 20 years ago, but there are bound to,be some veterans who could answer your question.

Kitbag
8th Jun 2012, 20:05
If you are stripping for display it may be worth your while Googling Avon 1533; this is the ground based version of the 200 series for power generation, still in service at many sites and quite a few upgrades appear to be available.