PDA

View Full Version : amazon auto-email Virus.

Loose rivets
4th May 2012, 20:59
This was filtered by Yahoo Mail as spam. Good on them, cos it seems it's a virus.

order-update MY BREAK @amazon.com

Milo Minderbinder
4th May 2012, 21:22
Phishing mail, and an old type (though maybe a new infection)
Download and open the attached document (usually a zip file to reduce the chances of being scanned) and you're compromised
Usually a rootkit with worm, keylogger and other unredacted fun

Many AV programs don't scan compressed files by default, so zips often get past the firewall and the initial e-mail scan. If the AV software is out of date, or has poor or non-existent heuristics scanning ability then the machine is hacked.
A few years ago I had to untangle a machine which had been compromised like this. Customer could even remember the arrival of the mail and I was able to ID it. Quite serious results - the customer had received into his bank on a friday around £55.000 from a matured life insurance policy. He checked online to make sure it had arrived. It had, By the saturday morning it was gone, pilfered electronically along with £17,000 from another bank account
The machine was rootkitted, keylogged and trojaned, and from the date stamps on the files I was able to ID the phishing scam mail as the source of the compromise

Paraffin Budgie
8th May 2012, 12:46
I've started getting one of these a day on Yahoo. Never saw them at all before last week.

Milo Minderbinder
8th May 2012, 13:11
just delete them
DON'T open them

Keef
8th May 2012, 15:44
I get them regularly. Any attached zip file is an instant delete.