PDA

View Full Version : all that glitters .......

rans6andrew
4th May 2012, 21:12
why do all of the phones, netbooks and tablet PCs have glossy displays these days?

We were looking at several handheld devices today and for the most part we found the screens useless. The reflections of your face, the lights in the ceiling, the window over your shoulder and any number of other things in the shop made it difficult to find a position to hold the things so that all of the screen was readable. That was just the experience when indoors, I dread to think what the effect is like when outdoors.

By contrast, the shop had a big flat screen TV running and it was easy to see from a wide range of viewing angles.

Sent from a 2 year old Samsung netbook which has matt finish screen, like my old Dell laptop, my old Dell desktop, my Panasonic TV, the screen on my digital camera, the Kindles and almost everything else you need to see easily.

Crazy.

Rans6...

tony draper
4th May 2012, 21:17
Only one end of my hand held device is shiny.:rolleyes:

Sprogget
4th May 2012, 21:22
You should get an adult to help you with knives Drapes.

Just bought a fondleslab this week. Suffering buyers remorse as a result of excessive browsing & mail checking.:rolleyes:

G&T ice n slice
4th May 2012, 21:28
ummm

I think it's "all that glisters"

Loose rivets
4th May 2012, 22:03
Not when it's on a savage beast.;)

OFSO
4th May 2012, 22:04
The shiny screen enhances the colour. Yes, really.

Plus when you're using your phone in a public place, you can see the reflection of the nasty litle scrote and his mates who are coming up behind you to mug you and take the phone away.....

vulcanised
4th May 2012, 22:41
Not when it's on a savage beast

Should that be 'savage breast' ?

Best screen I have is on an old Atari mono monitor with a paper white display. Absolutely defies reflections.

rans6andrew
4th May 2012, 22:42
I still think that I would get a better deal on bathroom mirrors if I don't go to a mobile phone shop!

Rans6...

Loose rivets
4th May 2012, 23:02
Should that be 'savage breast' ?

Yes, that's the point. :rolleyes:

FLCH
5th May 2012, 00:43
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1965000/images/_1965968_glitter.150.jpg

This savage breast glitters all around !

Slasher
5th May 2012, 08:32
There's a clear plastic cover thingy you can bung on your iPad
screen which does really reduce that reflectivity a lot - as well
as protecting it from fingerprints, slime, coffee spills etc. Cost
me 25 bucks down at the mall's computer gallery but its well
worth it.

probes
5th May 2012, 08:35
There's a clear plastic cover thingy you can bung on your iPad
screen which does really reduce that reflectivity a lot
ok, but why put that reflectivity 'there' in the first place? :* They could come with the plastic covers, then - or is there anyone who enjoys the gloss?

ExSp33db1rd
5th May 2012, 09:27
Sent from a 2 year old Samsung netbook which has matt finish screen, ..............etc,

It's called "Progress"

All the poor darlings that flood out of Uni. and other establishments of higher learning have to prove that they are now putting their Student Loans, or Bursary's, whatever, to good use by inventing something new to justify their existence.

If NOTHING else was invented from now one, we'd quite happily carry on with what we're familiar with, that works, thank you. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Leave stuff alone.

or ...

You Can Please Half The People All Of The Time, Or All Of The People Half Of The Time - or something. (with apologies to Abe.L. )

Sprogget
5th May 2012, 09:38
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Leave stuff alone, we're quite happy with it, thank you.Yes, let's all fly round in DC3's, die of smallpox & drive Ford Anglias. Who needs progress?:rolleyes:

sitigeltfel
5th May 2012, 09:47
Put a shiny object and a similar matt finished one in a cage of chimps and observe which gets the most attention.

ExSp33db1rd
5th May 2012, 10:49
So what's wrong with a Ford Anglia - got you there did'n it ? ( the vacuum windscreen system was a bit naff tho' -stopped working as you accelerated)
The DC3 is still fun, and the World is overpopulated and getting worse.

Actually 'accelerated' is a bit of an oxymoron, one could put ones' foot on the accelerator, but acceleration was not something that happened.

Put a shiny object and a similar matt finished one in a cage of chimps and observe which gets the most attention.

So who rules my Life, me or barrel load of monkeys. ( don't answer that, the present Gov't comes to mind:{)

probes
5th May 2012, 11:06
Who needs progress?:rolleyes:
Progress? PROGRESS? You call disabling stupid inventions (well, how would you call a screen that reflects everything around?) PROGRESS?!
Well, excuse me, but I don't agree. :mad:

Windy Militant
5th May 2012, 12:06
The problem is we are not really making progress. Much like British Leyland badge engineering in the seventies, we have reached a stage where much of what we are now being encouraged to believe is progress is merely niff naff and nonsense.
For example in 1990 I bought a Vauxhall Astra which had a heating system that you could select hot or cold air separately to your feet or the wind screen. Twenty years on I drive a number of hire cars for work and despite many having so called climate control I end you with having my feet either boiling or freezing depending on whether I need hot air to demist the wind screen or cold air to cool my upper body if it's sunny on a cold day. :ugh:
Take a certain computer system I'm cursed with at work, the system it replaced, which after a bit of a shaky start become a really usable work tool. The system we've had foisted on us is fine for social networking and gaming but is a real pain for day to day office tasks.
Mobile phones that do every thing but make calls!
I suspect that Mr C. M. Kornbluth may have seen it coming in his short story The Marching Morons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marching_Morons) espcially the bit about Rocket planes.;)

probes
5th May 2012, 13:09
Mobile phones that do every thing but make calls!

well, no... and they say one needs choice. I do not have a choice - I have to get all the stuff I do not need?! :sad:

OFSO
5th May 2012, 15:56
One of my bigest regrets is that I didn't buy a Ford Anglia I saw for sale in the UK some years ago. It had a 427 V8 inserted under the hood, auto shifter, disc brakes and some other "stuff" and I'm quite sure it would have taken twenty years off my life, one way or another. But I'd have died smiling.

ExSp33db1rd
5th May 2012, 21:16
Progress? PROGRESS? You call disabling stupid inventions (well, how would you call a screen that reflects everything around?) PROGRESS?!
Well, excuse me, but I don't agree.

Precisely.

Lon More
5th May 2012, 21:22
OFSO there was a 427 Anglia on Fleabay recently.

Here's one we saw earlier
http://anglia-models.co.uk/images/photoscustom/lgc811d-10.jpg
Trevor Kitney's 427ci Ford Anglia 123E - "Kitney Transplant"