PDA

View Full Version : Learning to fly in the UAE and obtaining a GCAA License.

ADB25
4th May 2012, 18:58
I am currently living and working in the UAE (RAK) and originally from the UK.

I am thinking about taking a full PPL course part time but am hesitant as I will get issued with a GCAA/GCC license. Although it is recognised by the ICAO how easy will it be to convert it to a JAA license on my return.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Alex

ADB25
4th May 2012, 19:58
p.s

The idea would be to continue my training in the UK. IR even CPL possibly!

RP-C000
5th May 2012, 02:55
if you want to be a career pilot and fly in UAE, this is your best option.

Alpha Aviation Group Multi-crew Pilot Licence (MPL) (http://www.alphaaviationgroup.com/academies/alpha-aviation-group-uae/courses-on-offer/multi-pilot-license-programme-a320)

vfenext
5th May 2012, 07:15
Don't touch the MPL it's not recognised by most airlines and still very much an experimental course. Stay away until it's more accepted.

ADB25
5th May 2012, 07:21
Thanks for your replys guys

The Heff
5th May 2012, 09:10
I'd say that you have bugger all chance of converting a GCAA licence into a JAA licence, because EASA have now taken over aircrew licencing for the UK.

Unfortunately, I don't think EASA have discussed yet the requirements for crediting flying hours on other licences towards the award of an EASA licence, so your best option is probably going to do your flying training in the UK (or Europe), and then look to converting it to a foreign licence if necessary.

RP-C000
5th May 2012, 09:21
vfenext sir you say MPL is experimental ? I guess you need read some more info about the MPL to clear your misguided thoughts

So why are airlines like Lufthansa using it as their primary source of cadet pilot training ?

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/aircraft_operations/Documents/MPL%20FAQ_v1%204_2010%2002%2024.pdf

And Air Arabia the most successful LCC in Middle East using it ..

Where can the governing rules and guidance material for MPL be found?
a) In ICAO Annex 1 Chapter 2.5 plus Appendix 3 and Attachment B as well as in ICAO
Doc. 9868 “PANS TRG”
b) In JAR-FCL Amendment 7, Section 1, Subpart K, 1.500-1.535 plus Appendix1 to 1.520
& 1.525 (which leads to all other relevant Subparts in Section 1 and the relevant
additional guidance material in Section 2). For MPL Instructors see Section 1, Subpart
H, 1.310 (d) plus Appendix 1 to 1.310 (d) (which leads to further guidance material in
Section 2)
c) In the National Aviation Regulations for:
• Australia
• Canada
• China
• Hongkong
• Jordan (draft status)
• Philippines
• Singapore
• Thailand
• UAE

vfenext
6th May 2012, 03:19
I stand by what I said. If anyone is serious about getting a licence then stick with PPL/CPL/ATPL. The MPL is useless because if you are applying for a job you will never be considered ahead of the traditional licence. I have experience of recruitment and can tell you this is the case. It doesn't matter what ICAO think. RP you are spamming up this and other threads with your propaganda, you are encouraging people to part with hard earned cash on something which is way too experimental. The airlines you mentioned use it to train their own cadets and follow the course with a very strict footprint of line training. They will not employ anyone off the street with this licence. If after training you find yourself unemployed you have nowhere to go because you dont really have a proper licence, just read this Downturn throws MPL pilots on scrapheap (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/downturn-throws-mpl-pilots-on-scrapheap-310559/) You obviously work for or have an interest in Alpha. Give it a rest.

ADB25
6th May 2012, 04:24
Thanks!!

I think I will wait until my return

mad_jock
6th May 2012, 11:04
There is no problem starting EASA training with a IACO PPL

Taking it further onto CPL/IR level though in the UAE would be a waste of money.