PDA

View Full Version : ICAO IR renewal or FAA IR

JAMUP
4th May 2012, 13:59
Ca somebody tell me how hard converting your ICAO CPL in to FAA and starting the FAA IFR rating? because my ICAO IR is expired and no point going through renewing it $$$ and the duration so just wondering it may be cheaper to do the IR in FAA to apply for jobs where the need ICAO/FAA license both.

B737900er
4th May 2012, 14:42
Converting to an FAA license can take as little as 7 days depending if you meet the CPL requirements and already prepared to take the written exam.

The FAA IR is very easy compared to a JAA IR and can easily be done in 14 days (WX permitted).

zondaracer
4th May 2012, 14:53
I actually didn't see much difference in the JAA IR and FAA IR flight tests, as far as difficulty was concerned

B737900er
4th May 2012, 15:21
Well FAA don't usually do NDB approaches which is the most difficult part of the JAA IR especially in not so good weather.

But I agree, with the overall test there isn't much difference, flying is flying :ok:

zondaracer
4th May 2012, 17:52
I definitely did NDB approaches and holding on my FAA flight test. Seems to me that lots of folks training at some of the well known FL schools are not being taught NDBs.

Trolle
4th May 2012, 18:06
NDBs are still possible to on the exam (see the Practical Test Standards here (http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/airmen/test_standards/media/faa-s-8081-4e.pdf)). You are expected to be familiar with all equipment in the aircraft. If there's an ADF or RMI then you can get an NDB approach. 2 non-precision approaches are expected on the exam. Some people just make the ADF in-op so they don't have to deal with a piece of equipment which is being phased out.

Generally, you will most likely find something easier if you're used to it. I did my IR conversion from FAA to JAA and found the subtle differences between the two systems very large, annoying and irrelevant but that's because I was used to the FAA system.

An FAA IR is something you can attain quickly and generally the ATC system in the US allows for easier flying (at least compared to the UK; with night flying, few to none slot restrictions, easier access to airspace, etc.). Of course, weather and aircraft permitting.