PDA

View Full Version : When are you too old?

DAS Aviation
4th May 2012, 09:47
Via hearsay, I heard one must give up his PPL (UK) upon reaching the age of 80*. In a flying magazine I read that Mr Derek Piggot (I think most of the readers have heard of him) had to give his licence up when he reached this age. However, a photo in an article in another magazine showed him sitting in the rear seat of a glider where he was acting as instructor.
I just don't follow the logic here!:confused:

I reside in Germany and as far as I am informed Pilots holding German (ICAO & JAR-FCL) retain the licence as long as the medical remains current.

Can anyone throw any light on this subject?

* I still have a few years to go but one day (hopefully:)) I will reach this grand age.

pulse1
4th May 2012, 12:04
In the UK, there is no such thing as a "gliding Licence" and you do not need one to fly a glider. Insurance provides the regulation and, as long as you can get the obligatory third party cover and a medical, you can fly. You will need Gliding Certificates (A, B, Bronze C or Silver C to get insurance)

As a PPL who is over 70, I believe and hope that I can go on as long as I have a medical, the desire and, of course, the money.

DAS Aviation
4th May 2012, 12:34
I know, one has a gliding certificate in the UK, I have one which was issued by the BGA when I was 16 (many years ago).
The question which arises is why are Pilots licences withdrawn when the holder reaches 80 years of age. The only reason I can think of is due to an unexpected medical condition which could develop at that age. If this is the case then why can one still fly as an instructor in gliders? Doesn't make sense to me.:confused:

gingernut
9th May 2012, 21:00
Stretch your elbow's out each morning, if you don't feel wood, then you 'aint too old.

Loose rivets
10th May 2012, 05:31
I check the obituaries. If I ain't in them, I'm good to go.

lederhosen
13th May 2012, 19:48
A friend of mine was told that he had to stop flying solo at 92. He had a twin IR until 85 (owned a seneca). But he is still now flying his ultralight actively with another pilot and has a holiday home in a fly in community in Florida. An impressive record, which I would love to repeat! My target is 100.

gingernut
13th May 2012, 21:20
All joking apart, I suppose the big question is, is age level related to the risk of sudden incapacitation?

Not sure that the answer to that is clear.

homonculus
20th May 2012, 12:01
Sudden incapacitation is normally cardiovascular Gingernut and so it is age related. That is why a multi pilot restriction is applied to passenger transport operations by the CAA

The issue is that the risk has been falling and so the risk for a 60 year old in 1975 is the same as for someone well into their 70s today. The CAA should have raised the age barriers but argue they haven't the time or money to review the restriction - a pathetic response in my view but there you go

So the older you are the greater the risk but the regulators don't seem to be fussed for class 2. The worry is that one of us old codgers have an event and the media get involved but in practice so many more old codgers drive cars along busy streets I think priorities lie elsewhere