PDA

View Full Version : Expired Medical

Phil O'Rupp
4th May 2012, 05:59
Just wondering if anyone has been through this already. My Class one medical has expired. Is it likely that when I renew it the DAME will just stamp the old one renewed until the new one arrives in the post? Will it be renewed but not useable until I get the hard copy, i.e. not stamped? Will I have to do everything (bloods, ecg, etc) again as if it was an initial issue? Hoping someone has an idea as my old DAME is no longer available and it can be hard to talk to another without an appointment ($$$).

Capt Fathom
4th May 2012, 06:26
Try the CASA Website (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_91521) re Medicals!

VH-XXX
4th May 2012, 07:13
Recently, mine was more than 3 months old so the DAME wasn't able to issue it after completing the online application, so I couldn't immediately fly.

I waited 1.5 - 2 weeks and it arrived in the mail after "CASA review."

Phil O'Rupp
4th May 2012, 08:02
Thanks VH-XXX. So, although not immediate, it was a renewal without the extra tests required for an initial issue?

VH-XXX
4th May 2012, 08:30
Be careful using that advice as it may depend on your age as to what tests are required etc.

I had essentially the same medical I had two years ago and the same as my initial. Seems to depend on the doctor who on this occasion it was my first visit to.

He didn't know the expiry date until the end when he typed it in the computer where it said initial or renewal, the only difference to normal being that he was not able to stamp it.

pcx
4th May 2012, 08:40
Very interesting question.
I assume that you also have a class 2 medical which would not be expired, so I would have thought that the AME could just stamp your existing medical but I am not sure about this.

thorn bird
4th May 2012, 08:49
When I do my OZ medical I renew my FAA medical, and my Kiwi one as well, if I can find a Doc with the approvals.
FAA I get on the spot, regardless of how long its expired, OZ one generally turn's up the day before the 90 day period expires and if it runs over? well I just have to go without income until it turns up. And we pay money for this kind of "service". Difference between OZ & the FAA..the FAA trusts the competence of their medicos..CASA thinks all doctors in Australia are just criminals they havnt caught yet..bit like pilots actually

Homesick-Angel
4th May 2012, 09:01
I was about to ask A similar question. I just renewed mine back to class 1 after a month of being expired to class 2. (was away on holidays and missed it!) the bloods ECG and other are done on an age basis, some every 2 years, and others at different years. It will be purely based in your age.
I was due for bloods , and they did ears etc but ECG is next year.

The question I had is does his stamp take me back to a class 1 while I wait for new print or only to class 2

My disappointed assumption is that it will only be back to class 2??

jas24zzk
4th May 2012, 14:17
Angel,
although it may hae changed since i held a class1. I'd have a good hard look at your documentation. When i last went through the double, my DAME was able to stamp my 28 day extension on the Class 1 and validate my class 2. I had to go ride the bike to confirm my class 1. If all else fails, ring casa and expect your full medical to arrive before they answer

Homesick-Angel
5th May 2012, 02:27
Thanks jaz.
Me thinks il be on the phone Monday as I'm due back next week..

Jay Bo
5th May 2012, 04:06
If its expired longer than 3 months it can not be rubbered stamped so u can only fly on your class 2 and have to wait for casa.
I was in the same boat as you but mine was expired over a year. The wait for my medical was 4-5 weeks and my medical was simple as doing the required tests as I had no medical issues that could cause a delay

InSoMnIaC
16th Jun 2012, 05:29
Does CASA make a distinction between Approved Overseas DAME's and Local ones?

My class 1 medical is expired for over a year now and I intend to visit an overseas DAME to redo it. Is an overseas DAME allowed to do initial Medicals?

jas24zzk
16th Jun 2012, 10:57
Had a quick look at it, and i believe they can.

CASA seems to make no distinction as to the DAME's location.
It comes down to the doctor.

Approved or not approved is all that seems to matter.

Bad medicine
4th Oct 2012, 03:33
I'd not be using that revalidated certificate anytime soon. Both you and your DAME have a responsibility to know the rules surrounding medical certificates, and a certificate can only be revalidated by a DAME if it has been expired for less than 3 months. The reference is readily available on the CASA website. The "computer says no issue" is there to stop people inadvertently or deliberately breaking the rules and leaving pilots liable to prosecution for flying without a valid medical.

The DAME was correct that only a renewal medical is required if the original is expired for less than 5 years.

Cheers,

BM

jas24zzk
4th Oct 2012, 08:26
Yes I had the same issue. My medical was expired more than 3 months and the DAME couldn't revalidate it.

According to the official medical I recieved yesterday, the references are CASR 67.220 and 67.225

You need to await until casa sends you the official one....i was told a month, it took em 21 days. Not bad.

Under Dog
4th Oct 2012, 10:26
Just been through it.Rang Casa got the usual runaround told me it couldn't be renewed with out a review cause it was 4 months outa date, saw my dame and he told me that was crap and rubber stamped it. Recieved my new medical from casa no questions asked.The bottom line is casa dosen't know themselves.

The Dog

ausdoc
4th Oct 2012, 10:57
Hmmm, yet another DAME who doesn't know the rules under which they hold their authority. And yet another pilot who ignores the regulator and the regulations at their peril.

CASR 67.225 Medical certificates — new medical certificates issued by DAMEs

(1) A person whose medical certificate has expired may apply to a DAME for the issue of a medical certificate under this regulation if the medical certificate:

(a) was issued by CASA; and

(b) was not subject to a condition that the period during which the certificate remains in force may be extended only by CASA.

(2) An application must be made within 3 months after the medical certificate has expired.

jas24zzk
4th Oct 2012, 10:57
Underdog............word choice is very important in this stuff.

Just been through it.Rang Casa got the usual runaround told me it couldn't be renewed with out a review cause it was 4 months outa date,

A Renewal is a different kettle of fish to an Initial Issue.
It can be renewed, but your DAME cannot rubber stamp the revalidation line, as it is 4 months out of date. You must await the documentation from CASA MED.

saw my dame and he told me that was crap and rubber stamped it.
Then he may have made an error......

This is from CASA........
Previous situation, from 1988
DAMEs had delegated powers

CAR 5.04(2) Issue Original 'tear off' medical certificate
CAR 6.06 Reissue recently expired medical certificate
CAR 6.26 Revalidate medical certificate prior to expiry date

Current situation: CASRs (1998)

CASR Part 67 signed by the Governor General on August 27 2003
Anticipates availability of MRS On-line
Applicant requires ARN before undergoing Original medical
'Tear-off' Original medical certification no longer available
DAMEs now have specified, legislated powers of issue ('reissue') and extension of medical certification period in force
CASR 67.220 DAMEs may extend period in force of current medical certificate for 2 months, once only
CASR 67.225 DAMEs may issue 'new' medical certificates, but ONLY for 'renewals', under specified conditions, within 3 months of expiry

Stikes me, that your DAME is not up with the current regulations and re-validated your 4 month expired medical in error, as you were outside the expiry date.

Crikey!!! me searching the regs and providing a quote!! something new every day...lets double up and provide the link to the quoted document....

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Aviation medicals - DAME Newsletter October 2003 (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_91535)

Cheers
Jas

Under Dog
5th Oct 2012, 08:54
Yes Jas24zzk, it might of been a bad choice of words but I became very frustrated with CASA after spending nearly 3/4 of an hour on the phone only to get the response you" may" need a review but see your Dame first.

The Dog:ok:

michael36
6th Oct 2012, 00:51
My Class 1 Medical had ben expired for around 6-7 months, went to get it renewed and my DAME did it on the spot. Guess i depends on the DAME or maybe the fact that I am under 25?

VH-XXX
6th Oct 2012, 01:16
Interesting Michael as its not up to the DAME. The computer automatically defaults to a CASA review after 3 months and the DAME can't over-ride it on the computer.

QFF
6th Oct 2012, 02:54
My Class 1 Medical had ben expired for around 6-7 months, went to get it renewed and my DAME did it on the spot. Guess i depends on the DAME or maybe the fact that I am under 25? See references above. The rules say the renewal needs to be done within 3 months of expiry for the doc to be able to revalidate the medical.

Two possibilities - Perhaps your DAME only revalidated your Class 2 Medical (which is still current anyway if your Class 1 only expired 6mths ago).
The second thing to remember is, sure, the medical has been signed - doesn't mean it's legal. Just like anyone can sign a cheque - doesn't mean it will be cashed.