PDA

View Full Version : B1900 500h package??

Allioth
4th May 2012, 00:10
Hi fellas,

Before I start, please don't kill me for starting to consider some P2F...
Before getting to this decision I've been looking for a job with my mere 200h TT for the past three years, knowing people in many airlines (including the owner of Air Asia) that couldn't help me at all...

I've considered instructing, but living in the UK, with almost no sunshine, building hours was more like a utopia rather than a real possibility (also I wouldn't have been able to survive with instructor's wages during winter, during which times you usually seat in the club house looking at the cloud base touching the wind sock!

So here I am, considering Eagle Jet programme for the 500h turboprop time on a B1900... The price is not too bad, but I'm afraid of it being something like their larger airline packages (Lion Air and such!!!)

Has anyone had any experience with the turboprop offers from this company?

Also, it seams that you can find these packages only in the States... Does anyone know a similar company based in Europe/Australia/New Zealand/ME?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

pudoc
4th May 2012, 00:18
What's your plan after 500hrs on a B1900? No point getting 500hrs there then being back at square one again. Not a lot of B1900 operators out there and having 700TT with 500 on a prop doesn't make you very attractive for further employment. You might get lucky but then again you might not.

sicamore
4th May 2012, 02:23
Use the money to get your instructor rating in the states / Australia / ms then stay on as an instructor under your student /work visa. It's been done many times and those hours will help you better.

Allioth
4th May 2012, 08:37
Hey Pudoc,

I absolutely get your point, I know 700h TT doesn't make me more sellable, but indeed it puts me ahead of the thousands of young pilots recently coming out from flight schools and fresh with their 200h TT... I'm getting rusty, my friend... I need to refresh my skills, as they have vanished in these three years since I qualified... I know there are thousands of pilots out there... and I would say that if I don't do something now I'll be at the very VERY bottom of the stack...

Sicamore is right, by saying do the instructor course... But I'm 32 guys... If I do the instructor course, what hours would I get? C152, VMC... Maybe I'll get to 1000h... within one year... but then again... what's more valuable for an airline? Single engine VMC or multi turboprop IMC in commercial flight?

I wouldn't look just for B1900 operators... it would be any regional in the world... Many of them use turboprops (I would say almost all of them)... and I've seen many job vacancies asking for 500 hours turbine in order to apply...

You're right saying it's a gamble... but then... has there ever been a certainty in this profession???? :confused:

GONE FLYING
4th May 2012, 09:48
If you feel you gotta do it then go for it get some flying in .At least you get 500hours and a that will help you brush up and give you that new boost to keep going .:ok: best of luck :)

pudoc
4th May 2012, 11:38
You know your situation better than I do so as long as you're happy with what you're doing, go for it. Good luck to you.

Dan the weegie
4th May 2012, 12:14
So flying B1900 on an FAA licence that you'll have to convert to?
Not sure how much help it will be for keeping your JAR licence current and getting back to the UK.
Honestly as a gamble, Lion Air ought to be more attractive as a P2f to me if you really must do it but personally I'd go with the instructor route in Australia/New Zealand. Lots of growth going on in that part of the world and you'll have a great time and then with bit of effort you'd get yourself into something similar for a lot less money.

CY333
4th May 2012, 12:33
Ryanair?
You tried them?

KAG
4th May 2012, 13:00
wouldn't have been able to survive with instructor's wages

You cannot survive with low wages, but you can survive with no wages at all?

Allioth
4th May 2012, 14:50
Yep, tried Ryr. But didn't get through :(

Regarding the wages, the difference between getting instructor wages during winter and no wages at all, is not that great... But I think the benefit of turboprop time compared to (maybe) a few flight in VMC in a Cessna, is something I would be prepared to trade... Unless obviously, there is a chance of promotion to CPL and then ME/IR instructor soon!

Some of you have talked about going to New Zealand or Australia to do the FI...
I have been considering these locations for an instructor course, but then how would I work there? I'm European, so no way of getting a work visa for either of those countries... Has anyone Gone there to work as an instructor and getting a visa? I thought they didn't require pilots...

Thanks for all your responses!

M-ONGO
5th May 2012, 08:42
Sorry to say it but you have 200 hrs for God's sake! I wouldn't employ you as an instructor without gaining yourself some 'real life' experience. Go find a non equity group, build some time.

I've considered instructing, but living in the UK, with almost no sunshine, building hours was more like a utopia rather than a real possibility (also I wouldn't have been able to survive with instructor's wages during winter, during which times you usually seat in the club house looking at the cloud base touching the wind sock!

Many others including myself have done just that and survived. We've since moved on to turboprops and jets without paying for it. don't tar yourself with the P2F/pay to play brush. B1900 for goodness sake...

mad_jock
5th May 2012, 09:01
B1900 isn't even a multicrew aircraft.

Allioth
5th May 2012, 09:04
Ok guys... looks like it's a better deal to do some hours (non B1900) and then do the instructor course...

Thanks for the hints!

M-ONGO
5th May 2012, 09:37
:mad: sake, there will be P2F flying instructors next...

http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/478896-beech-1900c-d-jobs.html

Allioth
5th May 2012, 10:38
I'm just saying that, having 200h TT I cannot convert it to NZ CPL until I get 250!
That's why I need to do some hours before even thinking of doing the FI rating

Coastrider26
6th May 2012, 15:34
Let me ask you a couple of simple questions?

- How many B1900 operators are there in Europe?
- How many non JAA operators would hire you?
- Will they be interested in hiring you?
- Did you consider most airlines prefer jet experience?

Secondly this program is with an airline called Ameriflight which treats you like a gutter rat..Layovers you have to share the room with the captain provided he/she allows you to do so....

Jerry Lee
6th May 2012, 16:08
B1900 is almost non-existent in Europe - it seems so.
If P2F is seriously becoming an option, do it in a popular cockpit (Boeing, Airbus, ATR, Bombardier, etc.).

FokkerGirl
6th May 2012, 17:17
Don't P2F, regardless of what type

Pistonking
13th May 2012, 12:14
I agree that you should get onto a 'more common' type than a 1900 but if you want more info on AMF, then PM me. I used to be a Line Captain for them when I worked in the states

Jump Complete
15th May 2012, 22:24
DON'T DO IT! I think you will find it a complete waste of time and money. European airlines are unlikely to be that impressed with the time you will get. Sorry and all that, but that is the way it is.
As other posters have suggested, the F.I. route is probably a better investment. Or parachute flying. You probably won't earn much with this type of flying and possibly nothing at all in the winter but you could get some non-flying work to cover the winter months while you gain experience over a couple of summer seasons. Others have done it (including me.) Or go somewhere where the weather isn't such an issue and the flying hours will come quicker. In any case, you will learn to fly, and you will have some fun!

Also, may I suggest you read 'Squawk 7700' by Peter Buffington. His experiences of trying to earn a living flying in the States. There are plenty of references to exactly those types of schemes you are considering and also the heart breaking reality for many pilots at the bottom of the industry. I don't want to put you off the career altogether but if it takes the rose-tint off your glasses and makes you see the brochures and websites for these 'opportunities' (sic) then so much the better.
If you need 50 hours then perhaps some hours building in the States (use the time to get some night flying in) or perhaps a share in a light aircraft (the LAA types are fairly cheap to operate and you can always sell the share afterwards)
Best of luck, anyway!

Clintonb
21st May 2012, 13:44
So anyone here done the beech 1900 first officer training at eagle international and care to share some info????

Safe flying