PDA

View Full Version : How many words do you know?

Ancient Mariner
3rd May 2012, 14:14
According to this Choose Study Game Level - How Many Words Do You Know? | Word Dynamo (http://dynamo.dictionary.com/placement/level) I know 38.599 words. I will now spend the rest of the evening writing them down.
Per

rgbrock1
3rd May 2012, 14:19
According to the web site I know 42,038 words. How they figure that is questionable.

sisemen
3rd May 2012, 14:21
Four. F***, F***, F***, and F***

(the thing said 45547 but what the f*** do they know)

MadsDad
Can probably remember the 38* but it's the .599 that is worrying.

Is it an abbreviation of a very long word?

* Or could a few years ago. These days I have problems remembering ten - and they've got to be a maximum of five letters.

(And I just realised the above has thirty seven different words in it - I think- so now up to fifty two - and that makes...............)

Solid Rust Twotter
50000 and a bit then it wanted me to bugger about with mongbook so it got binned.

mixture
3rd May 2012, 14:23
American English website :yuk:...... that means my score will be unfairly diminished because I speak proper English, without all the z's and other Americanisms.

DX Wombat
3rd May 2012, 14:27
How many? Sufficient for my purposes.

rgbrock1
3rd May 2012, 14:42
mixture:

You're very adept at taking something seemingly harmless and all in good fun to, yet again, add insult to Americans.

Have you nothing better to do?

If you don't like the web site, as kindly provided by Ancient mariner, then might I suggest finding your own on a British web site?

sitigeltfel
3rd May 2012, 14:44
Never lost for words, in English that is. :confused:

Juud
3rd May 2012, 14:57
Nice game Per

Same result & reaction as Rusty.

Title should be changed though; how many words do you know in English.

rgbrock1, he probably got a low score and formulated a very lame excuse for it. ;)
Does take a brave man though, to publicly admit that he is incapable of substituting an 's' for a 'z' when he reads a word.
Not sure IŽd cough up to that.

ArthurR
3rd May 2012, 15:03
2, the seconed is "off"

only got to 42,000+
enough for me

tony draper
3rd May 2012, 15:39
Tarzan got by perfectly well with just one, 'Umgawah' :rolleyes:

Tankertrashnav
3rd May 2012, 15:41
without all the z's and other Americanisms.

As discussed recently on here, mixture' , 'z' spellings are in fact old English, and are still favoured by certain authorities on language in this country (Oxford University Press, I believe, although I stand to be corrected on the particular authority) The shift from 'z' to 's' terminations (realize/ise, etc) started on this side of the Atlantic around the beginning of the 20th century. The Americans, conservative in matters linguistic as ever, stuck to the old spellings - also hanging on to 'tire' etc which we used up the that time before switching to 'tyre'. There are many other examples, such as 'gotten', which I notice is making a comeback over here.

Fareastdriver
3rd May 2012, 15:50
When traditional Chinese characters started to mount up to beyond 24,000 the Chinese government instigatated simplified Chinese which has about 1,750 characters. By law Chinese newspapers and books are limited to this number.
It would make things easier for the western world if there was a similar policy.

G-CPTN
3rd May 2012, 15:52
He's gone and putten 'putten' where he should have putten 'put'.

beaufort1
3rd May 2012, 16:11
Ooh, 45,776. :)

Rossian
3rd May 2012, 16:13
According to the "estimate", 50034 and then I baled out for the same reasons as SRT.

It seems that nothing really happens these days unless it's on farcebok or the noise that small birds make. PITA it is

The Ancient Mariner

mixture
3rd May 2012, 16:18
You're very adept at taking something seemingly harmless and all in good fun to, yet again, add insult to Americans.
Have you nothing better to do?

My original post was based on my experience of attempting to play a copy of Scrabble I procured for my computer.

This was provided with an American dictionary, which meant the game rejected numerous correct spellings.

Hence my justified frustration with American dictionaries and spellings and their seeming inability to be more relaxed in their support for international English spellings.

"yet again, add insult to Americans."..... I don't set out to insult Americans and certainly don't do any such thing on a such a regular basis as to justify the "yet again" comment.

I shall refrain from further comment.

charliegolf
3rd May 2012, 17:52
Rock, I regularly get accused on here of 'doing it' to sheep, just because I'm Welsh (GrandSlamLand as we prefer).

You get off light!:ok:

CG

(only girl sheep mind, nothing odd about me:=)

rgbrock1
3rd May 2012, 18:01
Umgawah, Tony D? How the hell did you know the word I shout right before I jump the bones of the Mrs.?!!!!!!!

goudie
3rd May 2012, 18:03
50000+ Though I don't think I've ever used, or likely to, some of the words in the test.

Airborne Aircrew
3rd May 2012, 18:10

How they got the 18 I'm not sure...

G-CPTN
3rd May 2012, 18:10
Is there a Kanji version of Scrabble?

rgbrock1
3rd May 2012, 18:12
Kanji? Is that a disease? (I've got Kanji today, boss. Won't be in. Very sorry.)

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd May 2012, 19:29
Try Hanggul, Mr CPTN. Fewer characters one should think.:ok:

Lonewolf_50
3rd May 2012, 19:50

But I don't use all of them. :cool:

Loose rivets
4th May 2012, 04:13
Kept pressing the Play Again thingie, and kept getting about 45.5 k Oddly similar, and an odd mixture between very simple words and some I'd never heard of.

sisemen
4th May 2012, 06:31
'Umgawah'...the word I shout right before I jump
the bones of the Mrs.

Not "armageddon" then??

W0pNeDMowCY&feature=player_embedded

Tankertrashnav
4th May 2012, 09:05
You get off light!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

I rather think you meant to say he got off lightly, CG ;)

Cacophonix
4th May 2012, 09:11
Words recede over the years like a tide that will never flow again...

Forgetfulness - Billy Collins Animated Poetry - YouTube

Caco

Dan Gerous
4th May 2012, 13:02
All, of, them.:)

Storminnorm
4th May 2012, 14:38
Me too Dan. I think.

Loose rivets
4th May 2012, 15:33
Time consumed

Oooo . . . Didn't notice that. Will throw myself at the intuitive, and see what happens.

This is silly. 45,535, with one wrong, but the rest done within two seconds. I think they've allotted that score to me whatever happens.

gingernut
4th May 2012, 20:10
About two

(about two)

Loose rivets
4th May 2012, 21:38
What does Skip this Stage do? I get 10k less going that way even though I know as many words.