PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 wifi reconnection question

Carry0nLuggage
3rd May 2012, 12:05
Whenever our Win 7 PC drops the wifi connection it takes an age to restablish the link. I seem to recall that in XP at least there was a way of speeding up the rate at which it polled ethernet network adaptors to see which ones were active and presumably it would do the same for wifi. However, I haven't been able to find any references to the right part of the Win 7 registry to look at. Has anyone got any ideas on where to start?

My Linux laptop is much quicker and the Mac Book barely misses a beat by comparison.

parabellum
3rd May 2012, 12:22
This may be no help at all but when mines drops out a small screen with a red cross on it appears in the tool bar/start menue, bottom right of screen, right click on this and a 'repair' option comes up, click on that and it is a matter of seconds before I am back in business.

Milo Minderbinder
3rd May 2012, 19:22
Go into device manager and check the power settings for the wireless device and disable any power saving features, or anything on the lines of "allow windows to turn off this device to save power"
If its a USB wireless dongle, also do the same for all the USB root hubs

Carry0nLuggage
10th May 2012, 10:34
Thanks Milo. I hadn't spotted that particular power off setting so we'll see what happens. There is another, "Radio off if disconnected" which has the value 0 which I assume means disabled.