PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between B2 and C?

gr4techie
2nd May 2012, 18:45
Excuse my ignorance of the civvy way of doing things, but...

Whats the difference between the B2 license and the C ?

Does B2 sign the aircraft serviceable after a 1st line avionic snag?

And does a C license sign the aircraft as serviceable after an in-depth maint equivalent of a RAF minor or major?

If you are ex RAF can you go straight to C or do need to get the B2 first and a bit more experience? I appreciate my fast jet experience can get shunned but surely its better than nothing? All avionics kit is similar, in theory.

Does a B2 qualify you to do both line or base work on the same license and type rating? Or are line and base completely different paths?

Thanks

spannersatcx
2nd May 2012, 19:03
The Category C licence permits the release of an
aircraft to service in its entirety by a single certificate of
release to service by one overall signatory, once all
base maintenance work and checks have been
completed in accordance with Part-145. The Category
C licence certifier will act primarily in a maintenance
management role controlling the progress of aircraft
maintenance work. A Category C licence alone does
not permit the holder to act as a B1 or B2 certifier.

An applicant for a category C licence must have
completed a prescribed period of aircraft maintenance
experience. The Category C licence may be obtained
via one of two available routes: either by experience
gained through holding a Category B1 or B2 licence, or
as a graduate entrant with a degree that is considered
to be acceptable to the CAA.

Large Aircraft
3 years experience exercising B1.1, B1.3 or B2
privileges on large aircraft or as Part-145 B1.1, B1.3 or
B2 support staff, or a combination of both.
5 years experience exercising B1.2 or B1.4 privileges
on large aircraft or as Part-145 B1.2 or B1.4 support
staff, or a combination of both.

Non Large Aircraft
3 years experience exercising B1 or B2 privileges on
non- large aircraft or as Part-145 B1 or B2 support staff,
or a combination of both.

Graduate Route
A graduate holding a degree in Aeronautical
Engineering, or a similar discipline that is considered by
the CAA relevant to aircraft maintenance that has been
accepted for this purpose by the CAA, must have at
least 3 years experience in a civil aircraft maintenance
environment including 6 months of observation of base
maintenance tasks. There are currently no standard
assessment terms for these applications and therefore
applicants are advised, before applying for licence
issue, to ensure they meet the experience criteria in
accordance with Part-66.A.30 and related AMC. A
person qualifying for a Category C licence via this route
will not be entitled to a Category B1 or B2 licence
unless the requirements for those Categories are also
met.

BluFin
2nd May 2012, 19:32
B1 comes with the 'A' licence (line) included
B2 comes with F*** A**
B2 possible for line under a 145 depending what's in the MOE with additional Theory & practical Training requirement.

Rigga
2nd May 2012, 21:58
Excuse my ignorance of the civvy way of doing things, but...

Whats the difference between the B2 license and the C ?
There are three categories of Aircraft Maintenance Licence (AML)
A = Line Maintenance Certifying MECHANIC
B = Line Maintenance Certifying TECHNICIAN (Can be B1 Mechanical or B2 Avionic)
C = BASE Maintenance Cerifying ENGINEER

Does B2 sign the aircraft serviceable after a 1st line avionic snag?
Yes.

And does a C license sign the aircraft as serviceable after an in-depth maint equivalent of a RAF minor or major?
Yes. And the C can not be used for ANYTHING else.

If you are ex RAF can you go straight to C or do need to get the B2 first and a bit more experience? I appreciate my fast jet experience can get shunned but surely its better than nothing? All avionics kit is similar, in theory.
It is not 'common' for a B2 AML to go for a C and, more importantly, if you are thinking about joining into the civil trade, you should just concentrate on the B Licence.

Does a B2 qualify you to do both line or base work on the same license and type rating? Or are line and base completely different paths?
A B2 is a LINE Licence because in BASE maintenance there is only ONE certifying signature - the C. However, the B Licenced guys are used as "Support Staff" - team/area supervisors and inspectors, supporting the C Licence Sign-Off.

Thanks
You're welcome.

ironchefflay
2nd May 2012, 22:13
Unlike a B1 licence however, you can work on fixed wing or helicopter with a B2

gr4techie
3rd May 2012, 07:23
Thanks for all the advice, it's starting to become more clear.

It sounds like B2 is what I enjoy doing... Working "Hands on" the aircraft as a technician. While C is the equivalent of a RAF Engineering Officer doing mostly admin work and not getting to do any spannering.

If you had the choice, would prefer doing Line or Base as a B2?

Cheers.

TURIN
3rd May 2012, 12:52
A B2 is a LINE Licence because in BASE maintenance there is only ONE certifying signature - the C. However, the B Licenced guys are used as "Support Staff" - team/area supervisors and inspectors, supporting the C Licence Sign-Off.

So, what are all the B1/B2 LAEs & Techs signing on the job cards in the hangars? :confused:

I understood that the C Licence signature was certifying that the entire work package had been reviewed and was correct.. IE. That all necessary work had been certified in accordance with...by B1/B2s and other delegated staff etc.

I stand to be corrected of course.:ok:

Wodrick
3rd May 2012, 15:07
As the unlikely animal that holds A,B2 and C. My understanding of my C is just that, I am certifying the work pack is complete, all correct and I am releasing the Aircraft.
Never used it mind you ! and unlikely to now I have retired.

spannersatcx
3rd May 2012, 16:26
There is no requirement for each job carried out on a check to have a CRS issued, only one is legally required, that's the one at the end done by the C licenced guy.

You are basically signing that the work you carried out has been done iaw .... but in this instance it's not a CRS.

ironchefflay
3rd May 2012, 18:44
I have a A, B1.3, and a C licence. where i work i use the C licence to sign of checks over certain amount of Man hours as we dont do base maintenance like fixed wing. B1's still do it but having a C gives extra flexibility i suppose.

TURIN
4th May 2012, 15:42
Good point spanners.

I think many of us treat any certification signature as a CRS automatically.

It tends to focus the mind. :ok:

spannersatcx
4th May 2012, 17:51
This came up with a surveyor when we were opening BAMC in 92! It was assumed by many, me included that you were issuing a CRS, when he said although the wording was the same there was no legal requirement to issue/sign a CRS on every task/work card.
I signed 1 or 2 at the end, now that is scary when you rely on so many others getting it right, mainly the fact that the planners have actually issued the correct work pack etc, a few times things were added at the last minute!:D

Rigga
4th May 2012, 20:45
When we changed to the EASA single signature release system, I changed one company's Base Maintenance Cards CRS statements to read something to the effect of:

" All the work quoted on this card has been conducted IAW the AMM, approved data and the company quality system requirements."

This retained the appearance of a CRS and (we hoped) kept the guys on the shop floor aware of what they were signing for.