PDA

View Full Version : CAA-IMC... Worth it or not?

SchoonerBoy
11th Sep 2001, 10:22
I'm just about to be checked out for my JAA PPL and am considering studying for my CAA IMC rating.

Can anyone tell me if it's worth getting bearing in mind the instrument training I log cannot be offset against the eventual hours I'll need for the JAA IR?? Is it worth forking out for this rating bearing in mind realistically I probably won't be doing too much flying in the UK until I start my next course (CPL probabaly?).

Is there any way around this i.e anyway of deducting my IMC training from my JAA-IR training? .... so expensive man!

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Token Bird
11th Sep 2001, 11:58
There was a discussion about this a couple of weeks ago. Might be worth having a trawl. I think the gist was, it is possible. I think you have to do something like, do the CPL but hold off actually sending away the forms for the licence until after the IR, then apply for both at the same time and the IR momentarily gets attached to your PPL before then getting attached to your CPL. I think then that means that you get credit for the IMC. But I'm probably wrong.

TB

wobblyprop
11th Sep 2001, 14:36
I'd check with a flying school but, it would seem that an IMC( accord to cabair, i think i read) gets credit in both cpl training and IR training knocking a few hours of each.

I've just done mine very enjoyable. Even if you don't intend to use it much and lets face it would you really take your tin can into the complete unknown ;o) It makes you a better pilot, holding headings and levels remember +/- 300ft in commercial airspace is a level bust.

FatFlyer
14th Sep 2001, 07:07
The CAA website says that if you have a CAA PPl with IMC, you are exempt 12 hours from the JAR IR course, It is not clear if this applies to an IMC on a JAR PPL or CPL.

The IMC was intended as an add on to the PPL, if you intend doing a full IR, the cost of 15 hours plus test will probably cost more than the 12 hours it will save you from the IR.

barnaby
14th Sep 2001, 19:17
Schoonerboy,

I've got the old style CAA IMC rating and will be starting mr IR training later this year. I understand that you currently get some dispensation of around 10 hours for being a holder of the old style CAA IMC rating. However, I am led to believe that as of the middle of next year this is being removed and no matter who you are, or what you've done flying-wise, everyone will have to do the full approved 55 hour IR course.

Hope this helps or pushes you to find the correct information so that you can enlighten us all.

[ 14 September 2001: Message edited by: barnaby ]

SchoonerBoy
15th Sep 2001, 08:36
Barnaby,

Do you have a CAA PPL or a JAA PPL? Are you doing the JAA IR? Where you doing your IR?

Anyone recommend anywhere good?

Cheers for your replies.

barnaby
16th Sep 2001, 22:58
Schoonerboy,

I've got the CAA PPL(A) license from a few years back and I'll be doing the JAA approved IR course. I have the option of doing the IR at a few places but most likely Multiflight.

jimmac
16th Sep 2001, 23:05
Had the IMC rating for about 15 years now. It is not, I repeat not, an Instrument lookalike. the problem is that since it allows you certain PIC privileges in IMC conditins everybody thinks it is an alternative to the IR.

I have used it on two occasions to get me home in weather that has suddenly dropped below minimums for VFR. The first was after an IMC training flight when returning to Aberdeen the ADF hold and subsequent ILS approach in weather with a 700 foot cloudbase saw us clear clo0ud fully eatablised at 750 feet with 500 foot minimums.

The second was to back up a VMC flight in less than VMC conditions. If you want to go commercial, grab every second of instrument time that you can. If the hours for an IMC rating do count towards anything it is a bonus.