PDA

View Full Version : Meniere's Disease

gooseone
1st May 2012, 09:25
Just wondering if there are any commercial pilots out there who have suffered or are suffering with this condition?
If so, have you managed to get back your class 1 medical, not sure what the CAA's take on it would be?
Would be grateful for any feedback.
Thanks.

Capt Pit Bull
1st May 2012, 10:56
Well, Alan Shepard went on to command Apollo 14 after recovering from Meniere's (surgery was involved). Hopefully that's a good omen, hope things work out for you.

pb

ALTSELGREEN
1st May 2012, 11:45
Have you had a formal diagnosis of Menieres disease?

gooseone
1st May 2012, 20:21
No formal diagnosis as yet only symptoms, just thinking that there must be other pilots out there with this condition, it's rare but not that rare.
Alan Shephard did have the shunt operation, interesting to know what the CAA find acceptable in that regard?

Irish_Avro_Driver
1st May 2012, 21:11
Are you certain its Menieres ? There are a host of other conditions similar to Menieres that are not as serious and can be managed such as BPPV, vestibular neuritis, Migraine associated vertigo, inner ear infection, anxiety.....the medication of choice for such conditions are is low dose of Tricyclic antidepressants or a SSRI which could pose a problem.

ALTSELGREEN
1st May 2012, 22:18
So are you suffering from severe vertigo, nausea and vomiting, tinnitus and loss of hearing and a feeling of fullness in the ear? I believe those are the classic symptoms according to my GP. As avro said there are other conditions that have similar indications. More info here http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/400764-menieres-disease.html and here http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/430971-menieres-disese.html

gingernut
2nd May 2012, 22:33
Have you had a formal diagnosis of Menieres disease?

Good point.

Especially if you're a pilot.

gooseone
4th May 2012, 07:50
No formal diagnosis as yet. Occasional mild vertigo(dizziness- not severe) and nausea, periodic tinnitus and sometimes slight fullness feeling in the ear.
Not flying at the moment, if it turns out to be menieres, any ideas if that's the end of my class 1 medical? Or could it possibly be reinstated in any way with restrictions?
Any previous knowledge or experience of this situation would be very gratefully received?
Thanks.

ALTSELGREEN
4th May 2012, 21:29
By what I have been told by my doctor, true Meniere's has much more severe symptoms than you are describing. I have been suffering fom a sinus infection, which despite the usual pressure in the face issues, has had me feeling light headed and occasionally off balance- my doc also thinks this MAY be due to a mild vestibular infection. Maybe you are suffering from something similar? :hmm:

Mac the Knife
5th May 2012, 06:01
Sounds more like secretory otitis media to me.

"If I look out the window, I'm more likely to see a sparrow than a canary."

Mac

Irish_Avro_Driver
5th May 2012, 18:37
True Menieres can have you dropping to the floor with the world spinning around you. It would be hard to get out of bed let alone fly.

gooseone
6th May 2012, 19:32
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Your correct in saying menieres can progress to he stage of dropping to the floor and severe vertigo, however the disease progresses over a slow time period, 10-15 years in some cases. Some suffers have only mild symptoms, whilst others suffer much more severe symptoms. Drop attacks normally occur in stage three of the disease, which can take many years to reach. I've only been suffering these symptoms a few months since the turn of the year. It's early days to come to any conclusions. The disease can be treated with medicine to relieve he symptoms, to some degree, however my main concern was whether you can keep your class 1 if you respond to the meds or the symptoms are only mild. Unfortunately the only thing predictable about menieres is it's unpredictability.

Again, any experience or feedback is much appreciated.