PDA

View Full Version : NHS at its best

radeng
1st May 2012, 08:06
56 pints of blood needed to save life of woman in labour - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9237798/56-pints-of-blood-needed-to-save-life-of-woman-in-labour.html)

And its not so good at all

Mother tried to 'bribe’ nurse to get more care for dying baby - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9237153/Mother-tried-to-bribe-nurse-to-get-more-care-for-dying-baby.html)

stuckgear
1st May 2012, 15:11
as a side note, blood stocks are always required. please consider donating blood and or platelets.

Rossian
1st May 2012, 16:10
....I first donated blood at age 16 and gave regularly up until about 10 years ago. Then the entry questionaire had an extra question. "Have you EVER been in a malarial area?"
"Yes, 40 years ago for four months"
"Sorry you can't donate any more."
"Why not?"
"You might have malarial antibodies in your blood which could cause a reaction in a small child if they received your blood, and you wouldn't want the death of a child on your conscience would you?"
"But I never had malaria"
"Doesn't matter"
"Well what about all the people who have recived my blood over the last 40 years? No one has EVER come back and told me that my blood had infected anyone."
"Doesn't matter"

Now of course there are regular bleating and heart-string-tugging adverts about how important it is to give blood and yet they keep restricting the pool of folk who can give blood.

However it's OK to buy blood products from the States which have been sold and are believed to have caused several cases of infections amongst haemophiliacs in Scotland.

Cross making it is.

The Ancient Mariner

DX Wombat
1st May 2012, 16:22
As desperately tragic as the death of a baby is, please remember that the staff involved are unable to discuss this with anyone other than to give evidence in Court so you will, quite understandably, only ever get a very one-sided version of events from the distraught parents. The amount of misinformation given about a baby I once helped to nurse was almost unbelievable so please don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, I know only too well. I am still not allowed to discuss the case with anyone other than the appropriate Authorities - it's called Confidentiality.
PS, I used to give blood regularly but following a serious infection had to stop. :( I feel sad about it but recognise the reason why it had to be so.

G-CPTN
1st May 2012, 16:40
I was a regular and prolific blood-donor - until I required a blood transfusion during a major surgical operation - now I'm unable to repay the debt, as I might have received contaminated blood! :mad:

radeng
1st May 2012, 17:00
They won't touch me, either.

wings folded
1st May 2012, 17:13
The stuff I gave contains, apparently, a rather splendid and rare antibody which was in great demand for the treatment of a rare form of meningitis in young children. I even met some children who had benefitted from it, and jolly lively and healthy they were.
I spent some time in Africa, and they no longer wanted to see me (not the children, you understand, I mean the blood transfusion people).
Seemed and still seems a great pity, but I have not the competence to know if they are right or not. I suppose they have to be careful.

Octopussy2
1st May 2012, 17:18
Used to be a donor in the UK, but people who lived in UK during the 90s are not wanted in Switzerland, it appears :hmm:

(Yes, I'm sure I qualify as a "mad cow" sometimes, but not in that sense...)

mister hilter
1st May 2012, 18:47
Same story here in Oz for anyone who lived in England in the mad cow years. (The illness, not Thatcher, but they coincide).

Mr_Grubby
1st May 2012, 19:09
I used to give lots of blood. Then ten years ago I got Crohns. They are not interested in my blood any more.

C.

redsnail
1st May 2012, 19:16
I used to donate all the time in Oz before I started flying full time.
The scars on my arm add up to about 30 times I think.
Apparently I hadn't had some illness and so my blood was used for very sick infants. (Obviously as healthy ones don't usually need blood transfusions... :\ )

racedo
1st May 2012, 19:51
Giving next weekend :)

Dan Gerous
1st May 2012, 20:13
I've been unable to give blood since 1984, because I'd been in Belize. One of the things in my life that I am proud of, was to give a pint, in Belize, for a C section at the local hospital. It is the only pint I have given that I actually know what happened to it. It cost nothing, but its value was priceless. There were no such qualms in Oman 1989, when there was a blood drive on at Thumrait. They were actually paying you for it. Wish I could say that I refused to take the money, and I would have...(but I fainted in the crowded room, and never actually got to give one).:O

cleo
1st May 2012, 20:33
Fraid I'm another willing donor but on the 'banned' list :sad::sad:

Pitts2112
1st May 2012, 21:12
Same here on being restricted since living in the UK (back in the US again).

This is particularly frustrating as my daughter's life was saved by three blood transfusions when she was 10 months old. I'd love to give blood to return the karmic favor, but apparently vCJD is too big a risk. :(

G-CPTN
1st May 2012, 21:48
Another Mum loses a lot of blood:- TODAY Health - 'Miracle' mom survives massive blood loss to deliver healthy baby (http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/30/11470996-miracle-mom-survives-massive-blood-loss-to-deliver-healthy-baby?lite)
Yet another was Amanda Holden:- Amanda Holden: My heart stopped for 40 seconds | The Sun |Showbiz|TV (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4154748/Amanda-Holden-My-heart-stopped-for-40-seconds.html)

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd May 2012, 06:07
I give blood regularly, despite working in malaria areas. The only proviso being that I'm out of the area for four weeks before donating. Not sure if it's used for direct transfusion or to gather platelets or plasma, but the bag is marked with a sticker denoting the donor as having been in an area where malaria is prevalent.

IainB
2nd May 2012, 13:21
And with the new rules, I should make it 60 by the end of the year.

If you can, and can stand needles, please do it - assuming the blood peeps want it!!

Rossian
2nd May 2012, 14:36
...the problem seems to be that there is no reliable test to see if there are any antibodies in one's blood. And the impression I got was that there didn't seem to be any great rush try and find one.

The Ancient Mariner

Lon More
2nd May 2012, 17:36
Paid for by the NHS !!! Octogenarian wants sex change operation (http://www.breakingnewsonline.net/world/14678-british-octogenarian-wants-to-undergo-sex-change.html). Will probably shuffle off this mortal coil during the Op. If he/she survives he/she will probably have forgotten what it's for.

riverrock83
2nd May 2012, 18:30
http://www.scotblood.co.uk/media/11586/SNBTS_Travel_Leaflet1.pdf

Visitors to a malarial area of the world can:
donate as long as they have been back in the UK for 12 months and have remained well.
have a sample tested for MAT six months after their return to the UK. This is the earliest that the test can be performed.I'm currently allowed to donate (reminds me - should do it again) but couldn't for quite a while because I had visited the USA; South Africa; Uganda. The USA one struck me by surprise...

Storminnorm
2nd May 2012, 18:38
Nice to note yon chap wanting a sex change Op was an ex RAF officer.
Quite a lot that I knew were a bunch of tarts.

stuckgear
2nd May 2012, 18:40
The USA one struck me by surprise...

probably the possibility of contracting Obamaitis.

vulcanised
2nd May 2012, 19:56
This sort of thing is what buggers the NHS

BBC News - East Sussex pensioner to have sex change op (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-17913771)

Lon More
2nd May 2012, 20:24
Nice to note yon chap wanting a sex change Op was an ex RAF officer.
Quite a lot that I knew were a bunch of tarts.

Probably a Nav. Always were a confused bunch of .....

Vulcanised, buggers can't be choosers.

maliyahsdad2
2nd May 2012, 20:41
This sort of thing is what buggers the NHS

BBC News - East Sussex pensioner to have sex change op (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-17913771)

It's a fecking disgrace, no wonder the NHS is in a poor state!

Money that could be better spent on gastric bands or boob jobs!

G-CPTN
2nd May 2012, 21:12
Probably a Nav. Always were a confused bunch of .....

James, a former RAF navigator, and said she has dreamed of being female since she was a child.

How observant . . .

gingernut
2nd May 2012, 23:22
Rapid infusion is all very good, but I expect the best benefits we've seen from the NHS have been less sexy.

Can't we sack all the................. sorry, getting political now:)