PDA

View Full Version : Who we are and who we want to be?

probes
1st May 2012, 06:44
'I was terrified when I sent him my photo. I was in love with him and he said he felt the same but I knew it was make or break when I sent the picture and yes I was a bit worried because Goddess was nothing like me.

‘I designed the Goddess to be everything I felt I wasn’t in real life: slim, sexy and confident. Being her was a way of escaping the usual drudgery and I actually started to prefer my online life to my real one.'

Couple who met and got engaged in a computer game marry in real life despite looking nothing like their online alter-egos | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2134937/Couple-met-got-engaged-game-marry-real-life-despite-looking-like-online-alter-egos.html)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/25/article-2134937-12C31F24000005DC-364_634x695.jpg

So, what is it? A chance to be what we are not (but would like to be), an escape from reality, or fear to face the reality? Just a modern fairy tale?

bnt
1st May 2012, 08:28
And how is this different from "love" in general? The image a lovestruck person creates in his or her brain, of the the object of his or her affections, is the original "virtual reality simulation".

Jane Austen didn't need a computer to develop her simulations, and you don't need to turn off the computer to know what happens when the simulation breaks down, the scales fall off your eyes, and you see the other person as they really are, warts and all. :hmm:

OFSO
1st May 2012, 09:47
1) None of us show the same personality to our boss, our wife, our neighbour, our kids. We all retain multiple personalities ready for use in different situations.

2) But all of the people we meet in real life filter their conceptions and understanding of us through their own pre-conceptions which are largely hard-wired in.

So we have (a) the core personality that we "really are" but when talking to someone we might be putting on (b) a secondary personality which is filtered and then interpreted by the person we are talking to as (c) who we "really are" - as far as they are concerned.

So where does this take us when we go on-line ? Quite far I guess.

Despite many faults in my character I'm happy to be who I am. But if pressed to construct an avatar for computer use, what would it be ? Hmm......

probes
1st May 2012, 10:10
exactly, OFSO - hmmmmmm.... :p
I thought about it, and the best I could decide was - I'd like to be a cheetah or a leopard, and that's hardly an Avatar... or maybe we're just spoilt by the 'general standards of beauty' (rubbed into our brains by the yellow media)?
Well, there are 2 or 3 things I'd like to change about me physical self, if it were possible (like being under 1.69 to be able to wear 11 cm heels all the time without having to look down on people :p). But then the whole (mental) outlook would be different - and some of it I really like, so...

Seldomfitforpurpose
1st May 2012, 10:13
1)
Despite many faults in my character I'm happy to be who I am. But if pressed to construct an avatar for computer use, what would it be ? Hmm......

Likewise which is the reason I would never use an Avatar, it's my mug or nothing :ok:

sisemen
1st May 2012, 13:32
All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first, the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
And then the whining school-boy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slipper'd pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side,
His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

OFSO
1st May 2012, 14:36
Actually sisemen, I frequently play all those parts in a day, never mind a lifetime !

G&T ice n slice
1st May 2012, 15:26
under 1.69 to be able to wear 11 cm heels all the time without having to look down on people

umm so that's 1.69 add 32 multiple by 4/5ths and

no it's 1.69*1000/0.3937

err

2 pints = 1 quart 4 quarts = 1 gallon = 5 litres or is that american not imperial

1000 metres= 1 kilometres which is 100 hectares which is 247.104 acresa
1 acre = 43,560 square feet so that's 10763850.24 square feet

Anyway, should a man your age be wearing high heels?

Milo Minderbinder
1st May 2012, 15:43
they're a pair of fugglies who couldn't meet anyone in real life, so they resorted to online and met that way
Presumably both are more interested in the ability to communicate with each other on the same intellectual level rather than on how each looks. If only more people thought the same way.
Mind you, I wouldn't want to meet her wearing that harem suit

Rossian
1st May 2012, 15:53
That's a bit harsh Milo - they're just a couple of ordinary folks who found each other. Nothing special, but they're content with each other so who are we to criticise their appearance.

Do you walk along the street telling passers-by that they're "fugly"?

And you, of course, are better looking than Burt Reynolds?? No?

THe Ancient Mariner

sisemen
1st May 2012, 15:57
Ah, c'mon. She probably does a fantastic head job. I notice that one of her front teeth are already misaligned.

G&T ice n slice
1st May 2012, 16:10
and sqrt 10763850.24 gives 3280.831 feet

so 1000 metres give 3.280831 feet per metre

so 1.69metres is (1, carry .69 and the other number etc)

TAAA DAAA! it's 5.544604 feet which is 5 feet 6 and a half inches

what the heck was the question ???

probes
1st May 2012, 16:49
poor G&T, I wish I had known it could disorient someone so much... If you had a local currency-euro converter-thingy, you could get it in euros? :E
As for the question, the appropriacy of heels about 10 cm for a man of about my age... why not? I guess it's possible to get used to it after the mid-age crisis, too? If you mean 1 man of 69, that is.

As for Avatars... we were told in a seminar, that besides all the obvious vices the internet is the chance for a person who lost their legs to get them. Which made sense. (And the story of these people is actually quite heartwarming, too, in my mind). And then I thought - if I had to create an Avatar... it wouldn't make much sense to have it just like I am. I wouldn't want to be exactly the opposite either. Having one almost like me, without the faults (and shorter, for the heels :E), ... that would be kinda weird. A fantastic creature wouldn't probably do either.
But people do it?

Checkboard
1st May 2012, 17:03
But if pressed to construct an avatar for computer use, what would it be ? Hmm......

I have constructed "online avatars" twice in my computer life (neither of which I used - I was just playing with a couple of games). Both times I made them as much like my real self as possible - bald head, fat gut and all :)

Milo Minderbinder
1st May 2012, 20:34
"Do you walk along the street telling passers-by that they're "fugly"?"

But I'm not walking along the street. Nor are they. I'm commenting on a pair of people who have chosen to highlight themselves in the "media". Which makes then "open house" for comment upon.

"And you, of course, are better looking than Burt Reynolds??"

Who he? Do you mean that craggly toothed bald bloke with the leer and chest wig? He doesn't come anywhere close.

OFSO
1st May 2012, 20:50
Walk along a street sneering at complete strangers, or walk along a street smiling at complete strangers, and see which lands you in jail first !

Milo Minderbinder
1st May 2012, 21:11
I know which would get me a punch in the face quickest around here - and it wouldn't be the sneering option

Slasher
2nd May 2012, 06:16
Hey Probes!

How did the couple in that photo get OUR actual photos onto
their puter?

Grrrr....now everyone knows what WE really look like! :(

I notice that one of her front teeth are already misaligned.

Yep - BJs can knock around front crowns a bit.... :E