PDA

View Full Version : Delta 5602 depressurization

TiggBro
1st May 2012, 02:37
Hi there,

Was on the above flight this evening, and we were descending into Atlanta. My ears starting hurting really bad. The flight attendant got a call from the cockpit just as she was going to start the last sweep of the cabin for trash. She had to be seated immediately. Once we landed, the pilot came on the intercom and said we had lost pressurization around 12,000 feet. It all ended up OK though. My questions - 1. Is there a way to hear any cockpit/tower conversation or see the flight tracker? 2. And my ears still feel messed up even though I have popped them over and over. Will they likely get back to normal soon?

Thanks for your help,

TightSlot
1st May 2012, 08:51
TiggBro - Welcome to PPRuNe - I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

Your ears/tubes may be feeling a little bit tender if the pressure change was rapid - This should disappear on its' own with time. I would suggest that you sleep on it and if they are still tender in the morning, drop by your doctor and get them checked.

Can't help you with ATC etc. - but somebody probably will

ExXB
1st May 2012, 10:07
12,000 feet is around 3500m, and well within 'breathable' (Everest is 8800m), and losing pressurisation at that level would not be dangerous. If the pain in your ears doesn't clear up in a couple of days, I would echo Tight Slot, have a Dr. look at them.

There appears to be a website here (http://www.airtrafficatlanta.com/) that might give you access to the exchange between your aircraft and ATC. I note they charge so your mileage may vary.

I'll leave it to pilots to say if this was an 'event' that would even be mentioned to ATC. Had it happened at 36,000 fee - YES, but at 12,000 ...

Flight Aware .com (http://de.flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL5602/history/20120430/2214Z/KLFT/KATL) doesn't appear to give any special information on your flight. Note that this link for me defaults to the European flight aware.com site. Try deleting the 'de." which should give you the US site.

TiggBro
1st May 2012, 20:07
Thanks, y'all - it's better this morning - still a little weird, but definitely better than last night. My uncle was a nosegunner on a bomber in WWII and used to talk about coming home with the plane all shot up. I never understood how that worked until I finally realized they weren't pressurized and were using oxygen masks when they got up high. Glad that we have pressurization nowadays!