PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone shed light on AF727 CKY-CDG diversion from DKR?

ozslf
30th Apr 2012, 17:41
Hi,
I was a passenger on the flight on Saturday 28/4. We diverted about 30 minutes after takeoff to Dakar due to a vibration alert on No 2 engine. It was almost 36 hours before anyone from AF arrived at the hotel. The various passengers are supposedly being rebooked on flights tonight. It's been a long saga that I will write up if people are interested.
Some passengers have mentioned there's compensation available for the inconvenience under EU regs. Could anyone please point me in the right direction for details?
Thanks,
Ozslf

ExXB
30th Apr 2012, 17:56
Have a look at Regulation 261/2004 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004).

As you will read the airline has a duty of care (accommodation, meals, beverages) in case of long delays, or cancellations. I'm guessing they are providing this.

Cash compensation may also apply in cases of cancellations (but not long delays) however the airline is not obliged to provide Cash compensation in the case of "Extraordinary Circumstances" which is poorly defined in the regulation. I can't speak for AF but I would not be surprised if they considered this to be an Extraordinary Circumstances. It certainly doesn't happen every day.

Air France should have given you a written explanation of your rights under 261/2004. At your next opportunity you should ask for this, and while you don't want them to divert their attention from getting you rebooked and on your way, it is your right to have this. If they say no, take note of the day/time and name of the individual concerned.

Edited to add: I've just reread your original post and see that your flight was diverted, rather than delayed or cancelled. The Regulation doesn't cover this situation. It may apply, but it may not.

ozslf
1st May 2012, 14:18
Thanks for the reply.

It started off with a diversion due to an engine vibration indication. Then the aircraft wasn't repairable quickly so off the planes to a hotel for the night. Another flight was being diverted ~24 hours later to pick up the 100 or so passengers but didn't make it because it was diverted due to weather at its previous stop. The repairs to the original aircraft weren't completed because the mechanic who'd flown in from Paris fell from a height while working, knocked himself unconscious and reportedly was close to death from loss of blood (I'm not sure if I believe the ground staff on this last part, but he didn't wake up until the next day). Most passengers were booked onto the DKR-CDG flight last night, with AF bumping off other passengers to a different flight that was diverted through DKR to pick up the "bumpees". Overall delay=48 hours including 2 flight cancellations. AF certainly didn't provide any information about rights, and didn't fulfill the requirements of the act. They did provide a hotel room, some meals (after arguing), and some refreshments, but not all drinks and no phone call reimbursements. Net score= 100+ angry passengers from our flight, unknown number of passengers bumped from 22:30 until 02:30 (approx) and a mechanic with a sore head. It was also reported the engine vibration fault was linked to a fuel leak- other passengers saw a lot of fluid under the engine on arrival at DKR.

Thanks again for the reference. I'll pursue with AF.

ExXB
1st May 2012, 15:45
Are you sure this wasn't a dream?

As I mentioned the Regulation does not apply in case of diversions. In respect of delays it only applies to delays in departure, not delays in arrival.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue AF to cover all of your reasonable expenses that you have incurred, and hopefully they will go beyond this and find some compensation to your satisfaction.

If you have incurred other loses by your delay in arrival (in addition to your expenses) the Montreal Convention 1999 applies (see my post here (http://www.pprune.org/7151583-post16.html)).