PDA

View Full Version : Fatal Plane Crash near Bourke 29th April 2012

Rotor Work
29th Apr 2012, 06:24
Sadly from abc web site

Man killed in plane crash near Bourke

Posted April 29, 2012 14:54:39

A man has died in a plane crash in far west New South Wales.
Emergency services were called to property, around 60 kilometres north-west of Bourke, just after 8:00am.
Police say the man, who is yet to be formally identified, was the only person in the plane.
The Transport Safety Bureau has been notified of the crash and investigations are continuing.

RIP
R W

skipper1981
29th Apr 2012, 06:46
C 150 VH-UWR Mustering cattle ? Well known Grazier

skipper1981
29th Apr 2012, 06:48
Crash on "Gurrawarra" property,60 kms NORTH EAST of Bourke.

VH-XXX
29th Apr 2012, 09:17
Goodness knows why these multi-million dollar cattle Barons and similar tempt fate on a near daily basis doing these types of things when a potentially more qualified and experienced 18-25 yr old will do it for nothing.

aileron_69
29th Apr 2012, 11:04
Goodness knows why these multi-million dollar cattle Barons and similar tempt fate on a near daily basis doing these types of things when a potentially more qualified and experienced 18-25 yr old will do it for nothing.

I'd assume you are joking right? Most of these blokes have been doing it for years and years. Thats how they got to be where they are. Sometimes things go wrong, and when it does, you can only pray for a good outcome. Sadly, today was not one of those days.

VH-XXX
29th Apr 2012, 11:53
Not a joke, no.

Pilots fly aircraft.
Farmers should farm.

If flying is not your "thing" then leave it for someone else. Why put yourself at risk chasing around cattle when your time, skills and effort could be better spent elsewhere?

Likewise, would you as a pilot jump into a cattle yard and brand cattle?

SgtBundy
29th Apr 2012, 12:07
The farmers I knew growing up were also mechanics, veterinarians, pest controllers, engineers, accountants and business men. That was just to farm sugar cane. I would have thought mustering cattle, whatever method chosen to use, was fairly central to the role of being a grazier.

Homesick-Angel
29th Apr 2012, 13:39
Being a professional pilot really isn't all that hard and other skills only add to the equation.Im sure as hell qualified to do a lot of other things and I do. Should I only fly because its my thing.

I know nothing of this situation or of the deceased, but Id bet my left nut, this bloke did it because he loved it, its what he'd always done, and would do over again given the opportunity. Just like the rest of us.

RIP

ForkTailedDrKiller
29th Apr 2012, 20:31
Likewise, would you as a pilot jump into a cattle yard and brand cattle?

Yup, you betcha!

Dr :8

PS: .....but I would never muster cattle in a C150!

Seaeagle109
29th Apr 2012, 21:09
I seem to remember that a lot of Aussie farmers made bloody good pilots, when required during WW1 & WW2, before going back on the land.

Horatio Leafblower
29th Apr 2012, 22:18

I did BFRs for a few blokes in outback Queensland, all PPLs. Their employer had put each of them through a PPL and a low-level/mustering endorsement at some stage and they were all very good pilots.

They heaped scorn upon "Keeping up with the Jonses" and the mustering practices demonstrated in that program.

Ironically I have seen far more "cowboy" flying from townies (self included) than I have from cattlemen. :suspect:

Cessna 180
30th Apr 2012, 07:08
To XXX

Firstly, what makes you assume farmers are "multi-million dollar cattle barons"?
Most farmers are out there working their bum off to feed the rest of the country and just trying to make a living like the rest of us.
If and I stress if, they do have millions it is most likely tied up in the asset which they need to grow said food. ie, their land which may have come down through the family and is of no real value if they wish to keep it so future generations can grow food on it.

Secondly, just because one is a farmer does not mean they are unable to fly well. The only reason they can run a successful business is by multi-tasking. And they also know their country better than anyone else.
Some of these blokes have 1000+ hrs doing this sort of stuff.

A generalisation such as yours would be as far from the truth, as someone who just assumes all pilots get paid $200,000 a year.

Personally, I believe farmers, truck drivers etc and folks from the country make great pilots.

nitpicker330
30th Apr 2012, 08:13
Yep gotta agree, the best I ever taught were the hands on types ( Farmers, Truckies, Tradies etc ) the blokes with all the money and no skills were usually Doctors and Lawyers!!! Hence all the ASR's submitted by rich Docs flying their brand spanking new Twin over 8/8 and getting lost, not once but 3 times!!

205jack
30th Apr 2012, 08:58
AS someone who knew and and had a long association with this pilot both in aviation and public life I would like to add the following facts to those who didn't know him

He was an experienced bush pilot of 30 plus years and definitely no cowboy
He was taught by George Campbell in Mudgee in the 70's a place where a lot of excellent pilots were trained both bush & professional
He loved his flying as much as he loved the bush and used his aircraft as the station vehicle and management tool that bush folk will understand

His passing is a huge loss not only to his family but to the community

The rest I will leave to the ATSB

RIP Wayne
and the rest of you take care

Luke Demmo
30th Apr 2012, 10:14
205jack I'm glad you said something before I did my reply wouldnt have been as nice. I grew up in Bourke and knew Wayne well.

Horatio Leafblower
30th Apr 2012, 10:59
He was taught by George Campbell in Mudgee in the 70's a place where a lot of excellent pilots were trained both bush & professional

...I'm sure you're not saying a pilot can't be both at the same time! ;)

Pilots fly aircraft.
Farmers should farm.

Are you proposing a demarcation dispute, Comrade VH-XXX? Should we give the capitalists 24 hours to think about it? Righto boys, one out all out. Someone call Lawrie Cox and let him know. :rolleyes:

VH-XXX
30th Apr 2012, 11:14
It was a comment, that is all. No offence intended because we all had no idea at the time who was involved. Many a cattle baron have suffered the same unfortunate fate.

205jack
30th Apr 2012, 21:46
Horatio

Slip of the pen

Bush guys were generally private in those days though as myself not always and proffessional was commercial or higher but as you say can be either,either or both

205Jack

mickjoebill
1st May 2012, 01:38
The farmers I knew growing up were also mechanics, veterinarians, pest controllers, engineers, accountants and business men. That was just to farm sugar cane. I would have thought mustering cattle, whatever method chosen to use, was fairly central to the role of being a grazier.
A general point.
Juggling a lot of numerous jobs in any one day and being able to clear ones mind to concentrate 100% on flying is not easy task to get right every hour of every day.
Whatever the outcome of this incident, there is a point, that because flying is so unforgiving, less that 100% of mind on the task or less that 100% correct preflight preparation should be avoided.

Mickjoebill

bushpig
1st May 2012, 01:39
"Many a cattle baron have suffered the same unfortunate fate."
Well I don't know to many and have quite a few years in the industry and mostly remote area flying.
As others have said, I have found the practical hands on nature of men and women on the land makes them really good practical aviators. When a "Southerner" or "City" pilot finds themselves lost or have gone missing in the bush the first person to ask for advice or help on local conditions and likely effective SAR are the local "cockies" and bush pilots, RFDS or otherwise regardless of their level of license. Sandy Kidd from the Windorah Q area being one prime example and over many years.

dogcharlietree
1st May 2012, 02:14
Being a professional pilot really isn't all that hard

Oh how naive you are.
Anyone can hop in the wheel-house and spin the fan.
Ask Captain (and I use that term with the highest RESPECT) Richard de Crespigny if it isn't all that hard?

VH-XXX
1st May 2012, 02:47
The recent fatality of the female station owner in her R22 comes to mind.

Desert Flower
1st May 2012, 09:07
When a "Southerner" or "City" pilot finds themselves lost or have gone missing in the bush the first person to ask for advice or help on local conditions and likely effective SAR are the local "cockies" and bush pilots, RFDS or otherwise regardless of their level of license.

Refuellers too!

DF.

Pinky the pilot
2nd May 2012, 03:50
Refuellers too!

Especially refuellers!:ok:

They generally also know all the goings on, intrigue etc long before most Pilots.:hmm:

Homesick-Angel
2nd May 2012, 05:00
Dogcharlie
No need to get personal..
I'm not talking about experience or extraordinary pilots or pilots who have a number of things go in their favor in an emergency- being an avid follower of that particular incident id say that sully and the crew had all three in spades. There's been plenty of excellent pilots who haven't had the latter, and are no longer here to tell the story
I'm talking about conducting and approaching every flight in a professional manner. That is not that hard..

Pilots like to think they're somehow special and different probably to offset the ridiculous financial hoops required to get there , but we're not. It's just a skill and a job that happens to be a little different and in my opinion pretty good fun for the most part.

Luke Demmo
2nd May 2012, 10:28
I don't no how some of you guys criticize Wayne's flyin skills most if not all of you guys didn't no the man, he wasn't mustering the cattle as the news said he was spotting for blokes on the ground.
As for the crash no one knows what happened SO KEEP YOUR MOUTHS SHUT.

As for VH-XXX I've never met you but you sound like a complete and utter (unt.

VH-XXX
2nd May 2012, 10:44
Thanks mate, look forward to meeting you too. Read again, I said nothing derogatory, did not comment on flying skills and I'm genuinely sorry for you that you feel that way.

Jabawocky
2nd May 2012, 12:35
Luke,

You may be right, in that nobody knows what happened just yet, but I can assure you, despite the personal sadness affecting ones view of the world, the vast majority of accidents that I read about here, the obvious turns out to be true.

In this case I am not making any statement, I doubt anyone else is yet either. But to come on here blasting away like this is not doing your cause any good either.

I have lost good mates, damned near family all through their own cock ups, and I am the first to accept this. Emotional rants about my cousin is such a good pilot but now dead isn't his fault ...bla bla bla... Does not cut it. I accept this and if you read the Airnoth prang report, I can tell you close to home where that one rests. And it is not in my emotiotional favour.

Time for a deep breath mate. I know where you are.....sort of.:ok:

Luke Demmo
2nd May 2012, 13:18
Jabawocky
The obvious isn't the truth in this case (from what ive been told from his wife's brother, they where Neighboirs) but thanks mate I've had the deep breath.

ForkTailedDrKiller
2nd May 2012, 14:01
Sorry, but I just don't get it!

There is a tragic accident (even the stupid ones are tragic) - and next thing someone who has never posted on this forum before turns up and goes all howlibag cause the pilots on a pilots forum are talking about it.

What the @#$% did you expect?

I find your previous post to be most offensive - please remove it - and piss off!

Dr :8

PS: Most of us who have been around a while have lost friends in stupid accidents.

Flying Binghi
2nd May 2012, 17:42

...the vast majority of accidents that I read about here, the obvious turns out to be true...

Yeah, right... except so often the muppets get it wrong, dont they..:rolleyes:

Seems some here thrive on others misery..:hmm:

Flying Binghi
2nd May 2012, 17:45

....and Muppet of the week award goes to -

Sorry, but I just don't get it!

There is a tragic accident (even the stupid ones are tragic) - and next thing someone who has never posted on this forum before turns up and goes all howlibag cause the pilots on a pilots forum are talking about it.

What the @#$% did you expect?

I find your previous post to be most offensive - please remove it - and piss off!

Flying Binghi
2nd May 2012, 17:54

Luke Demmo, dont take any cr@p from the muppets - they is often wrong..;)

VH-XXX
2nd May 2012, 21:31
Luke and I have discussed off line so we are all good.

Binghi, not the time or place to push your personal agenda with those that you frequently disagree with.

We need to remember that these discussions are usually very early in the piece, we don't know who is involved and we discuss possible scenarios of what happened, long before we know the skills of the pilot. It could be a 50 hour PPL or a 10000 hour ATPL and of course things get said that on the face of it may upset others once the identities of those involved are known. Other than not talk about it at all, there is little that can be done to avoid this, other than be polite, respectful and keep comments to aircraft, weather and the available facts at the time.