PDA

View Full Version : Cannot SEND emails - Outlook 2007

Maxbert
29th Apr 2012, 05:27
This is driving me crazy, and I've searched high and low for the solution...

I recently had to reinstall Windows 7 ultimate, and reinstalled Office 2007. I have internet access, I can receive emails, but I cannot send emails- they sit in the Outbox, the thing churns away trying to send, but no dice...

I have disabled firewall and Avast email checker, checked the Microsoft help sites, nothing doing.

Is it just some box which needs to be checked or unchecked in some obsucre, buried sub-menu?

Any ideas or solutions?

Cheers,

Maxbert

Bushfiva
29th Apr 2012, 05:30
Does your email provider use a non-standard outgoing mail port such as 587 rather than 25?

Maxbert
29th Apr 2012, 05:36
Bushfiva- not that I know of, but I hadn't thought of that- I recall I had to fiddle with ports when configuring email for my ipad... Errr.... Where do I find the port settings in Outlook? Oh, FWIW in the past the wizard has always worked for me, my ISP is the post office / telecom provider, they normaly make things as simple as possible...

Maxbert

Bushfiva
29th Apr 2012, 05:47
I don't have 2007, so I'd guess something like Tools>Account Settings>Change.

Milo Minderbinder
29th Apr 2012, 09:12
It would help if you told us which e-mail company you are using, and also which ISP (if different)

Saab Dastard
29th Apr 2012, 10:19
In Outlook 2010 it's under the File tab, Account Settings.

SD

Mike-Bracknell
29th Apr 2012, 12:23
It's more than likely (if using POP3) that you haven't got "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" ticked in the More Settings section of your email account configuration.

You can get to the email config through Control Panel -> Mail, then going into Email Accounts, double-click the account you're having trouble with. Then, via the More Settings button you should find the Outgoing Server tab. It's all in there.

Common mistake.

Milo Minderbinder
29th Apr 2012, 21:34
and some ISPs block port 25 for mail routed through 3rd party servers - hence my question
Sometimes you have to use port 26, on others you have to authenticate, on others use SSL.
Depends on the ISP and mail provider combination