PDA

View Full Version : Kicking concrete blocks in slippers!

Cacophonix
28th Apr 2012, 08:30
I was horrified last month to realise that I was an attendee at a 21st birthday party, namely my son's party.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my son and despite the sense of quiet desperation that overcomes some middle aged men when they reach the age that they have 21 old sons, it wasn't so much my own narcissistic sense of ageing self pity that horrified me so much as the thought of what the hell my son was going TO DO now that he is in fact "grown up" that hit me the hardest.

He clearly is my son as he is showing exactly the same feckless sense of care about his future, namely nothing, that seemed to characterise me at his age.

All in all one really does worry about one's kids in today's world and economy... still it seems it was ever thus as this hilarious and poignant article by Charles Mortimer in the Daily Mail illustrates...

Dear Charles,

I suppose that writing a serious letter to you is about as effective as trying to kick a 30-ton block of concrete in bedroom slippers, but I am a glutton for punishment.

You seem to be drifting along in a thoroughly aimless fashion with no plans for the future at all. When I am asked what you are doing, I don't know whether to say 'part-time farm labourer' or 'second-hand car spiv'.

The unfortunate truth is that in an era of growing unemployment, you have no qualifications and a poor record.

I really think you ought to look ahead a bit and not live from hand to mouth. Don't rely on a fat slice of bread when I kick the bucket, as the way things are, there won't be much left and in any case your ration will be in a trust until you are 35. I don't want my savings going on fourth-hand Aston Martins.

If you insist on trading in cars, be very careful both with your own cheques and with those you receive. You have been WARNED.
Yours ever, D

It seems our sons are often a chip off the same old concrete block! ;)

Read more: Letters to a wayward son: 'Trying to save you from yourself is as effective as kicking a 30-ton block of concrete in slippers!' From a hilariously exasperated yet loving father | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2136489/Letters-wayward-son-Trying-save-effective-kicking-30-ton-block-concrete-slippers-From-hilariously-exasperated-loving-father.html#ixzz1tK1IcVa6)

ArthurR
28th Apr 2012, 09:39
Where we not all the same at that age, its only as you get older and then look back, thinking "I wish I had done (whatever), at that age"

sisemen
28th Apr 2012, 09:42
Sorry, mis-read the title. I thought it was part of the Oz politics thread and was referring to "Kicking Slipper with concrete blocks" :E

http://images.smh.com.au/2012/04/26/3250586/nw-slipper-wide_20120426194601285922-420x0.jpg

Abbott uses 'weasel' speak, Emerson says (http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/abbott-uses-weasel-speak-emerson-says-20120428-1xrbs.html)

Worrals in the wilds
28th Apr 2012, 10:45
He'll figure it out, same as you did. :)
I assume, you did? :} Otherwise, who are you to criticize? ;)
No doubt he'll turn out fine and do his ol man proud.