PDA

View Full Version : Online Aviation Degree

ryda
27th Apr 2012, 11:58
I'm interested in doing an aviation degree online.I'm from Australia. Anyone have recommendations?

I've looked at ERAU and UVS but can't find much more other than that.

Thanks!

Genghis the Engineer
28th Apr 2012, 08:06
ERAU is the big player and probably your best bet.

G

zondaracer
28th Apr 2012, 09:17
I don't know about Australia, but in the US, there are dozens of reputable schools offering a variety of online aviation degrees, from associates degrees through masters degrees.

AOPA has compiled the information in a single, easy to read, online document.

Flight Training: 2011 Flight Training College Directory (http://flighttraining.aopa.org/magazine/2010/December/coldir.html)

ERAU is definitely one of the more well known schools because the main focus is aviation. There are many other great programs that are part of a larger University such as University of North Dakota, plus many smaller programs.

ERAU is also at the high end of the price scale. You can get the same for less at other schools.

Seabreeze
30th Apr 2012, 07:34
What exactly do you want? (in order of "degree" of difficulty)

1. A degree which costs you $$$ but you don't have to turn up or do any study whatsoever. (Probably a shady institution)

2. A degree using lots of advanced standing and no real study apart from standard CPL ATPL theory which you did somewhere else in any case. (May be a real university but with very low entry standards)

3. An aviation management degree with some new subjects so you can learn some aspects of running an airline/airport, but still get swags of advanced standing because you have ATPL + hours. (May be a real university but with low entry standards)

4. A degree where you have to do a bunch of subjects which will force you to learn new techniques and work hard to absorb new info, and get no or little advanced standing as a result of your flying experience.(A real university with some international standing)

5. A degree with very high entry level and high standards of assessment (e.g. Harvard Business school).

Some people just want the ticket, some want the knowledge, some want both.

All of the above are offerred somewhere.

SB

Genghis the Engineer
30th Apr 2012, 07:54
5. A degree with very high entry level and high standards of assessment (e.g. Harvard Business school).

Or pretty much any degree in aeronautical engineering.

G:E