PDA

View Full Version : Screws in Carry on in Oz

diddly squat
27th Apr 2012, 09:57
I am not sure on the latest on airport rent a cops.

The requirement is carry on only.

200 X 40mm screws on a domestic flight, capital city- capital city then in a carry on bag to Asia.

These are 4cm screws for goodness sake, but very expensive ones I am sending over. I am just worried the rent a cops have a fizzy over them.

Any input would be good.

meloz
27th Apr 2012, 17:24
They sound more like bolts to me.

Meloz

Mr.Buzzy
27th Apr 2012, 18:39
I think he means there are 200 of them. Each 40mm long.

My opinion is; check them in. Anything resembling hardware sends them into "get off comfy chair alert phase" particularly if they have a sharp point.

Trouble is, it will depend on, who you get on the day.

bbbzbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Worrals in the wilds
28th Apr 2012, 01:08
Agree with Mr Buzzy.
However, you could ring them. Even rent-a-cops have a phone and each airport seems to have their own policy with this sort of thing. The bigger airports seem to have multiple policies for the same damned building :hmm:. They shouldn't but they do. :rolleyes:

Ring the airport authority and work from there. Aim to talk to the screening manager (or similar title) for the terminal you're travelling through (Qantas, Virgin or generic) who will work for the same contract company the rent-a-cops do. Don't get fobbed off by anyone who works for the airport because they probably won't have a clue. You want to speak to the guy (or gal) who directly tells the rent-a-cops what to do.

Old Akro
28th Apr 2012, 02:06
200 scews will have enough mass that there is no chance it will slip through the x-ray. So, it will come down to the individual guy. Quoting rules, guidelines or phone advice will mean nothing standing belly to belly with these guys. I've had a steel ruler taken off me. There is no logic. You need to check it in.

IsDon
28th Apr 2012, 02:42
These people (if you could call them that) are only slightly further up the evolutionary scale than pond scum.

The following is a quote from Qrewroom which goes to illustrate the mind numbing stupidity of the single digit IQ morons employed at security checkpoints in Australian airports:

Fellow pilot who bought light saber in Los Angeles Target store, was refused light saber as carry on baggage through domestic security screening in Sydney today.

When asked why light saber could not go as carry on, reply was that it could be used as a weapon. Admittedly the box containing the light saber said "realistic light saber".

Due fatigue from a long sector, Jedi mind tricks were not attempted. Force choke (Darth Vader style) was considered, but too many witnesses.

Good luck with your screws. But I suggest checking them in is the only way. Even if you get an assurance from The Pope that they are OK to take as hand luggage, you can never guarantee that the particular screener you strike on the day won't think that your screws are just what he needs to hang his life sized poster of Jean Claude Van Damme to his bedroom wall in his parents house.

Old Akro
28th Apr 2012, 07:20
you can never guarantee that the particular screener you strike on the day won't think that your screws are just what he needs to hang his life sized poster of Jean Claude Van Damme to his bedroom wall in his parents house.

............so good

YPJT
30th Apr 2012, 02:12
Screws on their own do not appear on any prohibited items list.

YPJT
30th Apr 2012, 02:19
Consistency accross the board with screeners is an ongoing problem. 99% of the time it isn't an issue until curly ones like this scenario arise and they are left scratching their heads. Damned if the do and damned if they don't.

Before calling ahead, I would find out who is the screening authority at the airport concerned. It will probably be either the airport operator or airline. Highly unlikely it would be Group 4 / ISS / MSS etc at they are screening providers who are contracted to do the work.

Klavdy
14th Jun 2012, 00:52
And all too often the minimum pay, labour hire contracted employees of the contracted screening companies are quite literally insane.

uncopilot
14th Jun 2012, 11:17
When asked why light saber could not go as carry on, reply was that it could be used as a weapon. Admittedly the box containing the light saber said "realistic light saber".

Due fatigue from a long sector, Jedi mind tricks were not attempted. Force choke (Darth Vader style) was considered, but too many witnesses.Gold! thanks for the laugh.

I traveled through Sydney International Airport last week with 4 x 4" metal clamps used for packing parachutes, they look like oversize clothes pegs made from metal with a rubber coating. The gestapo decided they were a security risk. In trying to prove this to me the security person put one of the clamps on their hand as if to say I could bring down a crew member by giving them a sort of nipple cripple on the hand with the clamp :ugh:

I went straight to the boarding gate and talked to the airline rep at the customer counter about getting the clamps back. They sent someone with me back to the security screening point that had confiscated the clamps and had them send them as a "security item". This is apparently a procedure that is in place for such a situation where something is confiscated by security. The airline representative that came with me seemed annoyed that they (security staff) didn't already do this and made it clear to the security supervisor he wasn't impressed. The extensive paperwork (an A5 form with my flight number, name and destination and declaration I had to sign) seemed to be a hurdle that's the reason they don't do this very often. Funny thing was as we commenced a descent at the end of our first leg of the trip one of the cabin crew gave me the clamps and said that I should give them back to airline personnel prior to my next flight, giving me time to clamp someone prior to landing :)

Perhaps ask them to send the screws as a "Security Item" if they try to take them from you.

Kulwin Park
14th Jun 2012, 11:41
I took 5 small screwdriver tips thru the scanner in carry-on, and they had a heart attack! They were still wrapped in new packaging from tool shop - the short phillips heads ones. ... I was made to go check them in - but off course had no bag, so they gave me a garbage bag, and I put them in, rolled in up about 100 times, and put tape around it they gave me. It was like a medicine ball ... and they had to wait for me to board since I had big checked in bags prior ............... It was a hassle to them! But they did it.

Stupid thing is, the lady before me had a metal spike hair clip, that you could stab pilot in neck, but she got thru. I wouldn't of even tickled you with my screwdriver bits! :ouch:

VH-XXX
14th Jun 2012, 11:43
I took through 200mls of fluid in my carry-on last night through international (without realizing) and security didn't notice. Nice one NZ :-)

Capt Claret
14th Jun 2012, 11:46
Consistency accross the board with screeners is an ongoing problem.

I've been passing through the same northern port security checkpoint for 17 years. My current Nav Bag is 2 years old, and has the same ole, same ole in it for over a year.

Last trip, I was told the screener wanted the bag 50/50, so my bag was opened by a security employee, and half the contents removed onto a tray and the whole lot screened again.

When I objected and said I'd remove the contents, I was told I was not allowed to touch the bag.

I'm not sure how I managed not to blow a gasket! :mad: But just wait for the next cyclone evacuation when one of them wants the jump seat! :mad::E

As to Diddly Squat's question, I rocked up to work at an east coast port one day with an Allen Key in my pocket. I didn't realise this until I emptied my pockets. Next day at Perth I was denied access to the terminal with this tool is it was considered a security risk and not permitted.

I reckon at best you've got a 50/50 chance. Then you have to consider Murphy's Law. :ugh:

ForkTailedDrKiller
14th Jun 2012, 12:26
I took 5 small screwdriver tips thru the scanner in carry-on, and they had a heart attack!

Ditto! "Tools" are banned.

Are screws tools?

I reckon you have 1% chance only - cause some dumb arse may be on the scanner!

Dr :8

YPJT
14th Jun 2012, 13:20
Clarrie,

They changed the procedure some time back that if an item was flagged by the x-ray operator for hand search, the bag had to have items removed by the screening officer. Don't know the background as to why it was changed.

WRT the allen key, you could have drawn their attention to Regulation 4.65
(4) A person is authorised to have a prohibited item in his or her
possession in a prescribed aircraft if:
(a) the prohibited item is a tool of trade; and
(b) the person keeps control of the prohibited item at all times.

Tell em you need the allen key to tighten up your head set or something. :E

The tools that are listed in the regs as being "Prohibited Items" include:
Scalpels
Ski poles
Darts
Drills
Box cutters
Utility knives
Saws
Screwdrivers, crowbars, hammers, pliers and wrenches

I fail to see how an allen key could be construed by any screener to fall within this category of items able to be used as a weapon.:ugh:

Capt Claret
14th Jun 2012, 15:45
WRT the allen key, you could have drawn their attention to Regulation 4.65
(4) A person is authorised to have a prohibited item in his or her
possession in a prescribed aircraft if:
(a) the prohibited item is a tool of trade; and
(b) the person keeps control of the prohibited item at all times.

Tell em you need the allen key to tighten up your head set or something.

The tools that are listed in the regs as being "Prohibited Items" include:

Been there, done that.

Had my Nav bag confiscated so sat down and refused to fly the aeroplane and rang the Co. Half an hour later Nav bag returned, gasket blown, calm down time required. And all that was after 6+ months passing several times a week through the same screening point with the same jewellers screwdriver, to adjust headset depending on left or right seat.

Neptunus Rex
14th Jun 2012, 20:16
Surely it is time that the Security Staff were taken into a cockpit and shown the fireaxe.

Then again, perhaps not!

bushpig
14th Jun 2012, 21:48
HaHaHaHa!! That's hilarious!! Unfortunately so true.

Lancair70
14th Jun 2012, 22:15
I was helping my ex with bags and kids to the deptarture lounge, not actually boarding the aircraft. In my pocket was a 1/32 allen key and two tiny little grub screws. I was told I couldnt take them in to the lounge area, I asked the guy to hold them while I helped my ex etc, but he refused, saying if I went inside I had to give them to him and he wasnt allowed to give them back. As they were parts from my work I had to let the ex go, bags, kids and all.

I dont like your chances of getting 200 screws on board.

tmpffisch
14th Jun 2012, 22:19
Tools of the trade.....the one I had thrown at me at BN (had previously worked at SY), was that (and I quote), the only thing required as a pilot for you to conduct your trade, is the aircraft itself. Anything else required should already be on board. This came from some 'head supervisor' somewhere...

Even though I showed them our ops manual, showing that it was required pilot equipment, it didn't hold up. Jesus, what do they think we're going to do...take control of an aircraft or something? :ugh:

VH-XXX
15th Jun 2012, 02:38
Back in Ansett days, I got a handgun top end, 6 magazines, 2 empty rounds, 3 live rounds (fell down the cracks in the shooting bag), 3 holsters, wire brushes, screwdrivers and other miscellenous items through. Nothing was noticed at all as the screening guy must have been day dreaming.

They were found later in a subsequent completely un-related search when the hostie "thought" I said that I had a bomb on board. I actually made reference to "not letting any old bum on board" (the plane).

The Captain came out, looked at my arsenal spread across the aerobridge floor and replied with "I'm not prepared to take him on my aircraft."

Times have certainly changed.

In_Transit
15th Jun 2012, 08:51
These stories are all fantastic. I've had my fair share of interesting incidents with security, usually when I'm dropping off/picking people up at the airport because I forget to check what I have sitting in my handbag.

One time I dropped my sister off at the airport, and was told to throw my TEASPOON out because it could be used as a weapon... even after saying I wasn't going on a plane I was told it had to be thrown out, I couldn't even pick it up on my way out. What am I possibly going to do with a teaspoon? Make spoon music out of it and bore everyone to death?

Then when I picked my sister up the following week I got through security with a pair of sewing scissors in my bag. I didn't even realise it till we went to a coffee shop afterwards and I took my purse out. :ugh:

poohead
16th Jun 2012, 10:49
I know this doesn;t help you diddly squat, but after reading some of the others I thought i'd add my beauty.

In my military days I was to travel north from BNE on a commercial flight before departing the country on a service flight. I was told to check my weapons in with my bags, but keep the firing pin and trigger mechanism on me. No one said a thing to me passing through security. To me all this seemed fine but when i got chatting to an officer I was travelling with on the flight it appeared he did things in reverse. So essentially on board within arms reach we could have had a complete assault rifle and pistol.

BUt on my return to oz we thankfully didnt have to deal with our weapons on board with us although I had the spoon that i had used for every meal for 6 months confiscated.:ugh: