PDA

View Full Version : Charles Taylor guilty of aiding Sierra Leone war crimes

Solar
26th Apr 2012, 23:50
Why is the guvvermint offering to house this gentleman in a UK jail, do we not have enough prisoners of our own?
Are they getting a EU grant for this?
I think we should be told.

Sprogget
26th Apr 2012, 23:58
Probably to keep him out of Norway, which is where your average defenestrated dictator likes to languish.

G-CPTN
27th Apr 2012, 00:05
It was a condition of the decision to prosecute Taylor that Britain would house him if he was convicted.

no west African prisons are believed to be secure enough to hold the former strongman. Britain has offered to hold him in a secure prison. The Dutch government said it would host the trial only if another country agreed to imprison him and in 2006 Britain's then-foreign secretary Margaret Beckett offered, saying it was proof of the "UK's commitment to international justice".

Evanelpus
27th Apr 2012, 11:20
It was a condition of the decision to prosecute Taylor that Britain would house him if he was convicted.

Execute if found guilty....simples!

tony draper
27th Apr 2012, 11:28
No doubt some smarmy hand wringing wig wearer will get him released on appeal and we will be obliged to buy him a house and pay him benefits to support a lifestyle that befits his previous station in life.
I'm with Mr Evaneplus,shoot the son of a bitch

G-CPTN
27th Apr 2012, 11:57
I doubt that he will receive a long sentence (for aiding and abetting) and suspect he will be released to remain in Britain rather than being deported. Then, no doubt, he will be able to claim benefits for his upkeep.

Juud
27th Apr 2012, 12:18
Probably to keep him out of Norway, which is where your average defenestrated dictator likes to languish.

Sprogget, not a nugget I have come across before. :confused:

It may well be true, in-country news does not always tell the whole truth, especially when that truth reflects badly on the country, but again, it is not something I have ever read anywhere.
Not in not-Norwegian media either.

Was your post meant tongue in cheek?
If not, is there any reading on the subject you can point me to please?

As for Taylor; a living reminder to criminal heads of state everywhere that they can be held ultimately accountable for their crimes.
Which is a good thing.

hellsbrink
27th Apr 2012, 17:04
As for Taylor; a living reminder to criminal heads of state everywhere that they can be held ultimately accountable for their crimes.
Which is a good thing.

Only if they are punished appropriately for their crimes, most of which should result in a rope around the neck but, since the purpose of the ICC is to PREVENT those who actually suffered under these people from "doing what comes naturally" and punishing them according to the laws of their country, you know that there will never be one person convicted by the ICC who is actually held ultimately responsible for his/her crimes. The money they secreted away will still be there, the families will still live a life of luxury with the blood of their own people on their hands, etc.

And that, my friends, is the issue (and why they were so keen on gettin Said Gaddaffi to the ICC as well instead of having the Libyans deal with him for crimes committed in Libya against Libyans).

Tableview
27th Apr 2012, 17:15
I'm with Mr Evaneplus,shoot the son of a bitch

Too quick, too kind, and too humane.

I've never heard of Norway harbouring scum like him, but France is good at harbouring or supporting them.
(The Duvaliers, Mobutu, Saddam Hosein's family, Kagame, to name just a few who have sought, and found, refuge in Paris or the Cote D'Azur or been supported by the government.)

racedo
27th Apr 2012, 19:41
Don't you love the sanctimonious clap trap that somehow some other country sheltering someone makes us look ok.......

Like London hasn't its own fair share of current and former foreign despots residing there and spending cash.

Funny how Taylor's backers won't be going to trial...

G-CPTN
27th Apr 2012, 20:03
Charles Taylor (Liberian politician) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Taylor_%28Liberia%29)