PDA

View Full Version : Terminology

Bjarnum
26th Apr 2012, 13:26
Looking for the right terminology for a study I am doing on passengers.

So, what is the terminology for the phase spent prior to departure and after arrival where the passenger goes through the following:

Check-in/Baggage Drop
Security
Border Control
Boarding

[Flight]

Disembark
Border Control
Baggage Claim
Customs
Buffer for walking

Cheers,

Aero Mad
26th Apr 2012, 15:16
Erm... landside?

egnxema
26th Apr 2012, 15:21
Departures/Arrivals ;)

PAXboy
26th Apr 2012, 16:48
A right @rse ache?

SERIOUS MODE = Select
After paxing for 45 years, I have never heard any collective term. You might consider 'The landside phase' but in air terminal jargon 'landside' means prior to security and if applicable, passport control. When you are in the duty free and departure lounge you are 'airside', so two distinct physical parts of the terminal, although many pax unaware of the distinction.

You could certainly make things simple for yourself and invent a word for the phase? That's because, if you use 'pre-boarding phase' some folks would think you meant immediately prior to boarding. Rather than the complete sequence. Equally, many pax would see security control and passport control as one phase, eventhough they are not. I would suggest considering the process as two phases:

Arrival at terminal + Check-in and/or Bag drop + join queue.
Security control + Passport control + Duty Free + lounge/s + boarding

That makes a division that your subjects would be familiar with when answer questions as they may have meeters and greeters with them for part 1. Likewise in reverse on arrival.

Buster the Bear
26th Apr 2012, 19:37
At Luton it is called being Tinminal'd