PDA

View Full Version : Font and Icon Size keeps changing

merch
26th Apr 2012, 11:20
Hello All

The Font size on email (Outlook 2003), Word, Excel, and icons on the desktop keep changing size.

I change the sizes using control panel - display from small to medium, restart and all is quite large. Change back to small, restart and it returns to what I call normal size which is the standard size in most computers, same the office non adjusted computer.

Sometimes it will stay this way for a few days, or other times a few hours and then change again. The change seems to happen if the computer goes to standby or is turned off.

I've run AVG and also Malwarebytes, but they haven't found any nasties.
It's Windows 7

Any help would be appreciated.

Milo Minderbinder
26th Apr 2012, 11:33
Reinstall the display drivers

merch
26th Apr 2012, 11:37
Thanks for Milo for the quick reply, but I'm sorry but you'll have to put that into idiot speak on how to do it.

Milo Minderbinder
26th Apr 2012, 17:48
Can't tell you that without a lot more details
What make / model of machine is it and which operating system?

merch
1st May 2012, 10:13
Milo,
Sent PM

Thanks

Milo Minderbinder
1st May 2012, 15:29
I think this is the correct display driver for your machine based on the stats you sent me
ATI Catalyst (http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx)

its the first download on that page - the Catalyst suite
Download and run is and see if it becomes more stable
However I'd be worried that the graphics card may have a problem. Check if its oveheating / furred up or if the graphics card fan bearing has failed

merch
2nd May 2012, 14:16
Thanks Milo
Will do as you say, it's a fairly new computer, less than a year. I'll update you in a bit on the results as I'm moving house.

finfly1
29th Sep 2012, 17:54
Possibly related problem. My Dell inspiron changes the location of my desktop icons each time it is shut down and restarted.

I have unchecked the "arrange icons on grid" and "auto arrange icons" and it still persists. Is there a quick, safe, low-tech way to lock them in place where I want them?

green granite
29th Sep 2012, 18:27
Right click on the desktop and click refresh if I remember it correctly from my Dell days.

finfly1
29th Sep 2012, 19:51
Many thanks, gg. I had hoped it would be something within my capabilities.

Tomorrow I'll know if it worked.

Tomorrow. YES!! Small thing, but often hugely annoying and it is fixed. Thanks again.