PDA

View Full Version : Focke-Wulf Fw 190 First Flight after 68 years

Nervous SLF
26th Apr 2012, 02:11
Hope it's ok to post this link and I can't see it anywhere else?

LiveLeak.com - Focke-Wulf Fw 190 First Flight.

After ten and a half years of restoration, Fw190A-8, took to the air on Sunday 2011, October 9, for the first time
in 68 years since wrecked in a French rail yard during the late years of WWII. Owned by Don and Linda Hansen's
engineering company of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and flown by test pilot Klaus Plasa from Munich, Germany,
two flights were made that day, the first a short flight to test flight characteristics and systems, and a second
flight to include maneuvers and stalls shown in this video. Additional test flights will be made to expand the flight envelope
of the aircraft and to check systems reliability.

Buster Hyman
26th Apr 2012, 03:02
What a great effort! :ok:

I personally preferred the long nosed version myself... ;)

Blacksheep
26th Apr 2012, 08:47
Its a two-seater as well! What price a trip?

Jhieminga
26th Apr 2012, 15:24
It's no two-seater I'm afraid. What you're seeing is the headrest which slides back with the canopy.

Preserved Axis aircraft has this blurb:
Project for airworthiness owned by Don Hansen, previously with Malcolm Laing. Built in 1944 at Marienburg. It is painted as the aircraft flown by Oberstleutnant Hans Dortenman. Might be completed during 2003. Incorporates many parts made by Flug Werk.

I wonder about that last sentence, it certainly appears as if they've used the Flug Werk powerplant solution. I wonder how much of the rest is original, but still it looks and sounds like a great toy to play with!

Cacophonix
26th Apr 2012, 22:29
I guess it comes down to what kind of aircraft you would have cared to have flown to stay alive. I would have happily flown eine Wolf!

Thank mein liebe Gott the Germans were losing (thanks to the Russians as well) that this aircraft was crushed with the Nazi hell.

Caco

tony draper
26th Apr 2012, 22:41
Is it just me but just watching it full screen on liveleak seems to me the top part of the nose cowling toward the front of the cockpit could do with the attention of a good panel beater,
:uhoh:

Jhieminga
27th Apr 2012, 12:12
Is it just me but just watching it full screen on liveleak seems to me the top part of the nose cowling toward the front of the cockpit could do with the attention of a good panel beater,
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/worry.gif
In the Flug Werk FW190s the oil cooler is relocated to the space previously occupied by the guns, which is under the top decking in front of the cockpit. This was done to get rid of the troublesome ring oil cooler in the cowling. The panels surrounding the oil cooler now need to have small slots to let the cooling air out, which looks a bit 'untidy' but is 'as designed'.

There are some pics on this page showing the redesigned cowling for Jerry Yagen's FW190 which is a lot more like the original and has the ring oil cooler installed: News at MeierMotors GmbH / Bremgarten South Germany - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=104523)
If you look at page 2 on that thread, there's a good explanation of the various oil cooler/oil tank configurations.

Checkboard
27th Apr 2012, 17:46
... but what if you want to re-fit the guns?? :E

It must be a bit depressing to spend a load of cash on an aeroplane restoration, only to have someone else take it up for the first time. :(

gingernut
27th Apr 2012, 22:50
Great video...the guy flying it had Continental cut Trousers though?

TWT
28th Apr 2012, 00:07
"Flown by test pilot Klaus Plasa from Munich, Germany"

G-CPTN
28th Apr 2012, 00:21
lsjTUuxDzTc

Davaar
28th Apr 2012, 01:50
G-CPTN: I was a child when WW2 began and a youth when it ended. In all that time I became increasingly aware of the aircraft used by the Axis and the Allies, and less so by the Japanese.

Early on, of course, there were Hurricanes and Spitfires, and varieties of Heinkels, Junkers, Focke-Wulfe, and -- how can I put this? -- Messerchmitts.

One vesrion of the last-named was the "Me 109", universally so called, in conversation and in the books of British fighter-pilot memoirs put out during and after the War, some of which I still have.

A few years ago, long after the War, and all of a sudden, the "Me 109" underwent a sudden change and re-emerged from its chrysalis as the
"Bf 109". Why?

My late friend Werner, who flew these toys in anger, died a year or two ago so unfortunately I cannot ask him what THEY called them.

Do you -- or any other -- know why and how the Me 109 died a neglected death and whence the Bf 109 replaced it?

Just asking.

Two's in
28th Apr 2012, 02:54
Davaar,

Do you -- or any other -- know why and how the Me 109 died a neglected death and whence the Bf 109 replaced it?

Just asking.

I was curious as well - BFW below stands for Bayerische Flugzeugwerke (BFW) (Bavarian Aircraft Works) ...

One of the first designs, the Messerschmitt M20, was a near-catastrophe for the designer and the company. Many of the prototypes crashed, one of them killing Hans Hackmack, a close friend of Erhard Milch, the head of Deutsche Luft Hansa and the German civil aviation authorities. Milch was upset by the lack of response from Messerschmitt and this led to a lifelong hatred towards him. Milch eventually cancelled all contracts with Messerschmitt and forced BFW into bankruptcy in 1931. However, the German re-armament programs and Messerschmitt's friendship with Hugo Junkers prevented a stagnation of the careers of him and BFW, which was started again in 1933. Milch still prevented Messerschmitt's takeover of the BFW until 1938, hence the designation "Bf" of early Messerschmitt designs

BFW was reconstituted as Messerschmitt AG on July 11, 1938, with Willy Messerschmitt as chairman and managing director. The renaming of BFW resulted in the company's RLM designation changing from Bf to Me for all newer designs that were accepted by the RLM after the acquisition date. Existing types, such as the Bf 109 and 110, retained their earlier designation in official documents, although sometimes the newer designations were used (in error) as well

B Fraser
28th Apr 2012, 10:27
In a similar vein, BMW stands for Bayerische Mist Wagen. The German speaking Pprunenmenschen will understand.

The German aircraft have a certain something about them. Here's a video that I thought I would never see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmSNqHckry8

B Fraser
28th Apr 2012, 10:49
And another...

The wet start at 1:20 is rather fun. Does anyone fancy building a replica JU-87 :E

Flying the Me 262 - YouTube

Fareastdriver
28th Apr 2012, 11:25
I liked the dual instruction at 5.35

Checkboard
28th Apr 2012, 13:15
The German fella who built that Me 163 replica is quite interesting (http://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/me163/kurz.htm) :)

RJM
28th Apr 2012, 14:57
"It was as though angels were pushing." - Adolf Galland, of the Me262.

It's worth reading Hans-Ulrich Rudel's book 'Stuka Pilot' - 2500 sorties, 2,000 targets destroyed, including a battleship. As well as the precision bombing, Rudel's later Stukas sported a 37mm canon under each wing. (see video)

I wonder if the rocket fuel they used for the replica of the Komet was a replica of the original pair of liquids - 'Z Stoff' and 'T-Stoff' (potassium permanganate and hydrogen peroxide)? Test pilot Hanna Reitsch described the elaborate precautions taken to ensure that these liquids, which combine explosively, did not contact each other except in the combustion chamber. Reitsch also flew a V1 flying bomb modified to take a pilot. Another good read - 'The Sky Is My Kingdom' by Hanna Reitsch.

Davaar
28th Apr 2012, 16:42
Interesting thread.

Thank you, Two's, for that informative backgrounder. The sudden public change that took place long after the official bureaucratic change does seem, though, to be due to some happy enthusiast who stumbled on the news and just couldn't wait to use it; in other words a bit of aviation pedantry that others latched on to, wittingly or not.

On the Me 262, B. Fraser, a footnote: (a) Majors Krupinski and Barkhorn, ex Me 262 pilots and high-scoring veterans of the Unpleasantness, took a refresher course under NATO, I believe it was, at RAF Valley in the mid 1950s when the Luftwaffe was being reconstituted. Both later rose to general-officer rank; and (b) my old late pal Werner, mentioned above, sat often in the Me 262, but never took off. Why not? There was, he told me, a very good reason for that. Every time he sat there, the airfield was the focus of a USAAF fighter patrol, a clutch of P.51s circling in attendance for the first simpleton to venture on to the runway. That was a common experience. He returned from one outing in an Me 109 to find the circuit busy, and he joined the pattern as No. 4 to Finals. Cheerfully chugging along downwind he suddenly realised that Nos. 1, 2, and 3 were P.51s. He swiftly reconfigured for departure, opened up, descended to low level, and left for more pleasant pastures before the others made the same discovery. There were two types of Allied aircraft, regardless of nominal subtlety or refinement, that Werner disliked: the Spitfire and the Mustang; so he said.

B Fraser
28th Apr 2012, 17:53
Common sense prevailed with the 163 replica. It's an aero-tow glider as were the early test models. It's painted the same colour too but minus the swastika on the tail.

Heini Dittmar took a glider "B" test model to 528mph in a dive after sorting out the mass balances in the control surfaces to eliminate high speed flutter. He crossed the runway at 400 mph just as Ernst Udet who was head of the Luftwaffe procurement programme showed up. His first question concerned the type of engine is fitted to the aircraft.

Eric "Winkle" Brown described Hanna Reitsch in rather unflattering terms, she made his "blood run cold" as described in his terrific book "Wings On My Sleeve". Her father slaughtered all the female members of the family to avoid them being captured by the Russians. It's ironic that the darkest days of history also produced the most enigmatic of aircraft.

airship
4th May 2012, 16:11
Using today's gigantic computing "cloud resources" for just 0.002 miiliseconds, airship was able to analyse the uploaded video file and extract certain elements including machine-pilot communications and "interfaces" (I'd say more, but my Al Gore Rythyms are classified "top secret" by the US DOD / Mauritius DODO / NZ MOA:

Here is a summary of the machine-pilot communications intercepted/extracted (translated from German to English language):

FW 190 A8: "I had a bad dream. I thought I was in bits and pieces buried in some French field, forgotten forever...?! But I feel fine today. Where are we?"

Pilot: "Shush! They have rebuilt you. We're today conducting test flights after rebuilding. Don't you see all the USA flags around the aerodrome you dumb numb****?!"

FW 190 A8: "Don't call me that, or else I'll be forced to report your disobedience to higher authorities. Please immediately report status of armaments (ie.) 2 x 13mm machine guns and 4 x 20mm cannons.

Pilot: "We're completely unarmed."

FW 190 A8: "WTF, you're the dumb****. Here we are in continental USA, well beyond normal range and the opportunity of a lifetime and you say we can't create even a little havoc?! How about if the Führer decides...

Pilot: "You should better ask all those people who decide almost without any forethought to devote important financial resources towards the resurrection of certain objects of infamy, meaning yourself."

FW 190 A8: "So, what does it all mean at the end of the day? That I've become a mere (if expensive) past-time or hobby to those with much cash to expend? I think that such people ought to be transferred for 6 months' duties at the eastern Front or else to serve under Rommel in the desert for a similar period. And then come back here explaining why it's so great that they woke me up from an eternal (if troubled) sleep...?:"

B Fraser
4th May 2012, 16:48
FW 190 A8: "A tour on the Eastern Front fighting the Bolsheviks will make you see sense"

Pilot: "I hate to tell you but they're all capitalists now"

FW 190 A8: "Gott in himmel, what about the fighting the Italians?"

Pilot: "They're too busy fighting themselves"