PDA

View Full Version : ATM/Cash machine question.

Noah Zark.
25th Apr 2012, 23:34
My fellow Blasters, can you answer a slight query I have about atm/cash machines?
In town today, I went into the main branch of my bank, to get some cash from the machine. I only wanted 30, but what annoyed me was that you are only given the option of withdrawing amounts divisible by 10, not 5. It occured to me that, of all the times I had used these machines (there being four in a row) this had always been the case.
So, I decided I would find out why this was, because it seems as though they are trying to make 5 into 'small change', and do away with it if they possibly can, which annoys me.
When I asked the "meeter & greeter" the question, I was told in a very loud and condecending manner as befits the total halfwit she obviously thinks I am ( I am not. Well, not a total halfwit anyway!) that "These new machines are only callibrated to take 10 & 20 pound notes!"
To which my immediate thought was "Well, re-callibrate the bloody things then!"
Now, the question -Is it possible to re-callibrate the machines for 5's? Surely it must be.
I think she was telling me a load of Bolleaux!
Answers please, on the back of a 5 note, and send it to me!

Keef
25th Apr 2012, 23:55
Something to do with "fiddling small change", I think.

I had a call a few weeks ago to ask if I'd withdrawn 5 from an ATM that morning.

"How would I do that? The machines round here only have 10 and 20 notes."

"Good point sir. Please cut your card up, it's been cloned and that was the test run to see if it works. We'll have a new card with you tomorrow."

G-CPTN
26th Apr 2012, 00:06
BBC News - Plans for more 5 notes in cash machines (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11168660)

When I withdraw my pension, the cashiers seem determined to supply me with a selection of 20 10 and 5 notes and I have to ask for 20 notes - they take up less space in my wallet.

11Fan
26th Apr 2012, 00:12
Don't know if this adds anything to the rant, but all of the ATM's that I've used here in the States only issue $20.00 bills.

pigboat
26th Apr 2012, 00:34
...but all of the ATM's that I've used here in the States only issue $20.00 bills.
Ditto for the attic, but lately I've seen the odd machine that advertises it'll dispense fifty bucks. Probably one $50.00 bill.

Seldomfitforpurpose
26th Apr 2012, 00:41
Just a thought but in future to avoid the need to seek PPrune solace why not cut the middle man out, as in the machine that causes you such befuddlement, and go straight to the 'meet and greeter' who will give you any feckin denomination that you want :ok:

Slasher
26th Apr 2012, 02:50
Same problem in Thailand when pulling Bahts and US$ - the
latter only 100s and 50s when you do find a hole in the wall
that pumps 'em out.

notmyC150v2
26th Apr 2012, 04:09
I asked my bank this very question and was told it was because they would have to refill the machine much more often if another demonination was added. Thus they only ever have $20 and $50 notes in Aus. This way they can stock the bugger right up and only have to refill it every two days or so.

No wonder so many crooks were ripping em out of the walls a while ago. They must have tens of thousands of dollars in em.

sitigeltfel
26th Apr 2012, 04:26
The machines here issue 10, 20 and 50 euro notes. Some even give you the choice of which ones you would like.

Nervous SLF
26th Apr 2012, 05:43
When I used to go to my local Post Office to cash my wages cheque they paid me
in Ten Shilling notes. They never seemed to have any Pound notes well for me
anyway I suppose as a 16 year old I wasn't important enough :)

handsfree
26th Apr 2012, 06:53
Some ATMs in the UK do issue 5 notes but from what I remember you have to ask for cash in multiples of 10. The HSBC bank in our village has two machines; the left one spits out 5 notes, the right hand one doesn't. Something to do with trying to get more 5 notes in circulation.

Beaver man
26th Apr 2012, 06:55
Aahh! The ten bob note!! Mammeries!!

SpringHeeledJack
26th Apr 2012, 07:20
I do remember a while back that there was a shortage of 5 notes in circulation and many people were complaining about either having larger notes or a pocket stuffed with shrapnel...Maybe when the economy is booming the larger notes are more practical and when the opposite happens..:hmm:

SHJ

Little Blue
26th Apr 2012, 07:29
Well, my local ATM will give you a fiver, if requested.
That usually sorts me out for a pint and a bag of chips on the way home.

treadigraph
26th Apr 2012, 07:29
I withdrew 100 from the Britannia Building Society in North End Croydon yesterday and got three 20, three 10 and two 5 notes.

Think Barclays does give you 5 notes - again I'm sure the one in North End does.

Also one of the cash machines by East Croydon station issues 5 notes only.

Maybe that merely serves to confirm something about Croydon though!

ExSp33db1rd
26th Apr 2012, 08:33
Aahh! The ten bob note!! Mammeries!!

In the days when nobody carried a 5 pound note because a) it was about the size, shape and appearance of a College Diploma and b) it represented about 1 months' wages (or it did for me when I left school) my aged Uncle only ever carried 10 bob notes around, that, he said, would prevent him being short changed when he went shopping e.g. "I gave you a pound note." "No you didn't, it was a 10 bob note" and so on.

As he never carried a pound note he was never able to proffer on, and get done over as a senile old git. (Apparently that happened in London in those days ?)

It seems that it was possible to go shopping and actually get change from a ten bob note when paying for ones' groceries - in those days.

That's why I go around with wads of 1 dollar bills in the USA, they all look alike and one can get confused! KISS.

Noah Zark.
26th Apr 2012, 09:04
go straight to the 'meet and greeter' who will give you any feckin denomination that you want

A sound idea indeed. Or it would be if the meeter & greeter dispensed complimentary tea & sandwiches, whilst one reposed in an easy chair, waiting for the seemingly interminable queue to disipate.
Despite being the main branch of this bank in town, it displays its usual caring attitude to customer concerns by generally not giving a toss about anything except more ways to get (and keep) its grubby corporate hands on one's wonga!
Unfortunately, talking to friends & rellies, etc., it would seem that a change of bank would be fairly futile, as the general opinion seems to be that the banks are pretty much alike, namely :yuk::yuk:

corsair
26th Apr 2012, 09:17
Ah I remember the ten shilling note. I got one for my first holy communion and a bunch of half crowns. Those were the days.

On reading this thread. I can't help wondering why you really need a fiver out of a cash machine? It is small change these days.

Over here in Euroireland. The smallest note I ever see from an ATM is a twenty. All too often they run out of twenties and your minimum is a fifty. But in practice I rarely take out less than 50 so it's hardly an issue.

The 5 note is nearly alway tattered and worn. Apparently of all the Euro notes this has the shortest life. Certainly they don't last long in my pocket!

McGoonagall
26th Apr 2012, 09:25
The queues for the cashiers are overlong for a few reasons round here. Last week the daughter urgently needed a few quid. Virgins much vaunted broadband was suffering another outage so I went into the local branch. Five cashiers on duty and a queue of maybe thirty. It was slow moving. As I got to the front it was obvious that most of the difficulties were being down to the punters not having English as a first language. Staff were then brought in to translate leaving other positions to do so. Getting to a cashier the transaction took about one minute but the cashier then entered sales mode. How long since I had a account review? Is my home/car/pet insurance due for renewal? Happy with my mortgage? (happy that its paid off). Savings plans? How about a credit card?..... This took at least three minutes to refuse each one. She even went as far as to say an adviser was available now if I needed to discuss any of their products. What I needed to do was get out of there and enjoy a day off from work.

Tableview
26th Apr 2012, 09:31
I wouldn't swear to it but I think that last time I was in Jersey (about 6 months ago) you could even get these from ATMs (but you could only ask for multiples of 5). For example if you asked for 15 you would get 1 x 10 and 5 x 1
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2515/3921949875_57bf6afe32.jpg.

maliyahsdad2
26th Apr 2012, 09:38
Why does Jersey have Princess Margaret on its 1 notes? :}

603DX
26th Apr 2012, 09:51
Just to confuse you maliyahsdad2, the lady on those Jersey notes is actually their Duke of Normandy. Honest!

1DC
26th Apr 2012, 09:55
Go to Bali and you will look around to find ATM's that dispense 100,000 notes,rather than 50000. 100 quid is about 1500000 rupiah.....

G-CPTN
26th Apr 2012, 12:04
Until recently, Scotland still had 1 notes - I don't know whether they still do?

vulcanised
26th Apr 2012, 12:05
You may be able to get fivers from your local bank, but can you get 50s?

Mine don't keep them.

FlyerFoto
26th Apr 2012, 18:17
My local city centre Ll*yds TSB has a lobby with 5 machines in it - 2 of these give fivers - usually 2 or 4, depending on the size of the withdrawal, although on one occasion, it paid me 200 in new fivers!!!

G-CPTN
26th Apr 2012, 18:23
Apparently, twelve percent of ATMs in the UK can now dispense fivers.

BBC News - Ten-fold rise in fivers from ATMs, says Bank of England (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17856243)

mixture
26th Apr 2012, 21:51
can you get 50s?
Mine don't keep them.

What do you want 50s for anyway ?

You get pretty much treated as a criminal by the shops if you try to use one to pay (UV light, watermark check ... you get it all whilst the checkout clerk tries their hardest to catch you out with a duff note)....... that's if they'll accept them at all (yes, legal tender I know... but many shops wouldn't budge on their no 50s policy unless you served them a legal letter).

Sunnyjohn
26th Apr 2012, 22:02
I withdrew 100 from the Britannia Building Society in North End Croydon yesterday and got three 20, three 10 and two 5 notes.
Think Barclays does give you 5 notes - again I'm sure the one in North End does.
Also one of the cash machines by East Croydon station issues 5 notes only.
Maybe that merely serves to confirm something about Croydon though!

Might be because so many people asked for them to use for the ticket machines on Croydon Tramlink - just a thought!

Tankertrashnav
26th Apr 2012, 22:16
Legal tender has a very specific meaning and does not oblige shops to accept 50 notes (or any other notes for that matter) if they choose not to. Mind you I always took them when I had a shop - certainly wasn't going to turn business down.

I stuck 49.70 worth of unleaded in the car tonight and paid with a 50. "Oh thats the new 50 note with the Cornish engineers" said the lady as she rubbed her pen thingy over it to check it was kosher. "That's right", I replied, reckoning that a service station queue wasn't the place to start a history lesson on Boulton and Watt and I left clutching my 30p change :(

Worrals in the wilds
26th Apr 2012, 23:23
Sounds like $100 notes here. Present one and you automatically get treated like a drug dealer. :rolleyes:

Legal tender has a very specific meaning and does not oblige shops to accept 50 notes (or any other notes for that matter) if they choose not to.
Really? I'll have to check the story here, because I thought they had to take notes or coins unless there wasn't enough change (which is the standard bus driver excuse. '3.50 love, ooh no, I can't change a fiver':ugh:) . Have you got any more info? I'm interested. :8

I assume ATMs can be calibrated for any type of money the owner wishes to dispense, after all they're sold to banks all over the world. I've heard the the same reason as notmyC150v2 was given, and I'm amazed you can get fivers at any machines, let alone 12 percent of them. When ATMs first appeared ours dispensed $10 notes, but over the years the $10 machines gradually faded away.

farsouth
26th Apr 2012, 23:35
Slight thread drift, sorry, and may have been discussed before, but isn't it time we got rid of coins under 5p. I am sure a farthing had more buying power at the time it was retired than 4p does now, so would anyone really notice if 5p was the smallest division available??

Old 'Un
27th Apr 2012, 00:28
Keep your smaller coins in circulation. In NZ, we did away with the 1 & 2c coins. Guess what? The 5c was withdrawn shortly thereafter because "it was costing more to mint than the face value of the coin". So now we have rounding (up or down) to the nearest 10c. I guess it evens out, sort of, over several purchases. The effect has been, though, to devalue the currency, at least in perception.

I can remember the halfpenny, penny, threepence, sixpence... through to the half crown we had in pre-decimal days. Plus the 10/- and 1, 2 & 5 notes. These days, the lowest denomination note is $5, the $1 & $2 ones having long since been replaced with coins.

Many of our ATMs only dispense $20s, some will cough up $50s. Strangely, one supermarket chain's self checkouts only dispense $5 notes (plus coin) as change.

BTW, check your bank's fees for ATM transactions. I have discovered that mine charges 50c per ATM withdrawal. Cunningly, it shows up on my bank statement as "Bank fees".

Le Vieux

sisemen
27th Apr 2012, 00:30
Ahh - one of these in yer trousers and you could get royally pissed, have fish and chips, yer bus fare home and still have a bob left for the lekky meter!

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/PublishingImages/denom_guide/images/odd/boe-c-front.jpg

Axerock
27th Apr 2012, 04:31
I lived in NZ when they got rid of the 1c and 2c coins.

Was a real bugger - until then the 1c used to be very good for tightening or loosening most screws. When they disappeared, i had to go and buy a set of small scredrivers.

*** NERD ALERT *** NERD ALERT *** NERD ALERT***
With regard to the ATMs, the cash is contained in cartridges. These cartridges are identified to the ATM software as containing denominations. The ATM is only designed to physically dispense pieces of paper -the software is responsible for the mathematics of breaking the user request for $xxx down to how many pieces of paper to dispense from each cartridge.

In my younger days when i worked on the development and implementation of ATM systems we used cut up paper as 'cash'.

Also i remember a service failure where the bank accidentally installed $10 in the $20 cartridge and $20 in the $10 cartridge. So when dispensing $100 and the customer selected 5 x$20 they in fact only got $50. However if the same user asked for $10 denominations they ended up with $200 cash.

*** NERD ALERT OVER *** NERD ALERT OVER ***

Solar
27th Apr 2012, 06:09
The ten shilling note reminds me of the story doing the rounds a few years ago of the two solicitors returning to their respective offices after lunch. Just outside A's office B bends down, picks a note of the kerb and says to A is that one of the old ten shilling notes handing it to A for a look. A takes it, has a look and says I think it is, do you want to come inside and I'll get your change.

rgbrock1
27th Apr 2012, 13:54
11Fan is correct: here in the USA ATM machines only dispense cash in increments of $20. Nothing less than $20 is available.

OFSO
27th Apr 2012, 13:57
Here in this part of Spain the ATM's also print all sorts of things: concert tickets for example. Which doesn't really help when you're standing behind someone wanting to go and see Status Quo* and all you want is cash.

*I take that back. I'd rather see Status Quo.

jackieofalltrades
27th Apr 2012, 14:49
What do you want 50s for anyway ?

I withdrew 700 from my account recently for various things I needed, mainly being travel money at Thomas Cook. Had to pay cash as there was more charges for paying by card. I asked my bank for it in 50s as didn't want a huge wad of notes. The refused saying they rarely carry them, and duly gave me 700 in 10s and 20s. Makes you wonder why the Bank of England bothers to have 50 notes if you can't easily get them.

jackieofalltrades
27th Apr 2012, 14:50
*I take that back. I'd rather see Status Quo.

Whatever you want...:cool:

Fareastdriver
27th Apr 2012, 18:29
Chines ATMs, Bank of China, are quite comprehensive. They only issue 100 yuan notes (about 10) and have a general limit of 2,500; but no limit on how often in a day. The China Merchant's Bank will punch out 10,000, again as often as you like. They all have a deposit function so that it opens a drawer, you place the money inside and then it closes up, counts it and sends back the ones it doesn't like (about 5%). You can also transfer money to somebody else's bank account by punching buttons.
Because there is so many in the country you have a six figure pin number and the account numbers you have to put in to transfer money are eighteen or nineteen long.
Cash is still the primary form of payment and you see people with carrier bags full of money going to pay the deposit on a house.

11Fan
27th Apr 2012, 20:02
Also i remember a service failure where the bank accidentally installed......

Adding to axerock's comments, I recall once where there was an off-bank ATM installed and the technician was going through the paces of getting it rigged. To test it, he used paper, the consistency and size of dollar bills.

The problem was that he didn't clear it and there were several customers that wound up with blank pieces of paper instead of cash.

I don't remember the exact details, but I was witness to it and remember the person having to call the owner of the ATM to sort it out.

Long time ago, and the memory is a little fuzzy. :uhoh:

G-CPTN
27th Apr 2012, 20:16
The first 'cash machine' that I used needed a card that was exchanged for 10 with the card being returned through the post for re-use.

That would be sometime in the early 1970s IIRC.

Gertrude the Wombat
27th Apr 2012, 21:37
And for extra points ...

... if you get cash out of an ATM in Gibraltar, expecting to get Sterling, but actually get Gibraltar banknotes, can you change them for Euros at a bank in Spain?

Tableview
28th Apr 2012, 16:09
I remember the cash machines in UK, in the early 80's. You had vouchers with holes in them, like ticker tape, and put those into the machine, each voucher was worth 10. I banked with Lloyds but they were probably all the same. By the time I changed to Barclays, to piss off a group of paid protesters who were trying to get people to boycott them because they 'supported apartheid', they were a little more advanced.

... if you get cash out of an ATM in Gibraltar, expecting to get Sterling, but actually get Gibraltar banknotes, can you change them for Euros at a bank in Spain?
Can't speak for now, but again, in the 70's I remember trying to do exactly this and the bank clerk in Spain spat on my Gib notes which I tried to change into Pesetas before screwing them up and pushing them back to me!

Gertrude the Wombat
28th Apr 2012, 16:31
Can't speak for now, but again, in the 70's I remember trying to do exactly this and the bank clerk in Spain spat on my Gib notes which I tried to change into Pesetas before screwing them up and pushing them back to me!
Rather more recently, the procedure was for the bank clerk to phone head office to see whether he was allowed to accept them or not, as the rule apparently changed from day to day with the political climate!

Tableview
28th Apr 2012, 16:33
With the current state ofthe spanish economy I think they'd be pleased to be taking these

http://blog.teamlazerbeez.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/100-trillion-zwd.jpg

sitigeltfel
28th Apr 2012, 16:43
The first 'cash machine' that I used needed a card that was exchanged for 10 with the card being returned through the post for re-use.

That would be sometime in the early 1970s IIRC.

I remember the same thing with Williams &Glyns bank in the late 70's. The credit card sized cards had punch holes, and IIRC the amount given was 20 at that time. The cash was pre-packed in a small paper envelope. The cards came back with the statement each month.

teeteringhead
28th Apr 2012, 17:02
There's an ATM near where I work - so I often use it - that only dispenses 5 notes, up to a max of 50!

There's a notice on it - something about a "Campaign to keep the Fiver", of which it is a part - I'll have a closer look next week.

My usual (rather sad) routine is to get most of what I need at the (free) ATM at the nearby filling station, then top up with 20 in fivers from the aforementioned....