PDA

View Full Version : 28th February 2000.Where will you be this time next year?

jigsawblue
29th Feb 2000, 02:28
I've decided to lay down a marker, set a target, put up a deadline.

When I was training for my CPL/IR. I had a friend who, after every setback, had a favourite saying,
'Never mind, this time next year we'll all be flying jets'.
I've lost touch with him since, where are you N? Hope he is flying jets like all the rest of my friends.
So I've decided. THIS TIME NEXT YEAR I WILL BE FLYING JETS.
I invite you all on this thread to set a target for this time next year. I'm going to keep it up to date with my progress so that 12 months from now on the 28th of February 2001, I will state here on this forum that:
:) I AM FLYING JETS :)

No compromises, no buts, no might have beens.

Come on everyone set your personal goals in stone here and now. It'll be fun to see everyone progress and will encourage everyone to keep going. It's a bit like Pilots Anonymous. Day one and counting, remember we have 366 days this year.

[This message has been edited by jigsawblue (edited 29 February 2000).]

Charlie Hotel
29th Feb 2000, 02:38
This time next year I'll be 19 and starting my FI(A)....thank you very much! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

OC Piztoff
29th Feb 2000, 06:51
'This time next year Rodders, we'll be millionaires.'

This time next year, I intend to have converted my FAA stuff to CAA stuff and be buzzing around a-la air taxi or pref. bizjet style.

MAX
29th Feb 2000, 10:28
Multi instructing or Bizjet. No excuses accepted.

azzie
29th Feb 2000, 11:24
this time next year, i'm in a regular multi job or there will be trouble..........

------------------
"if there is no peril in the fight, there is no glory in the triumph"

HazardWarning
29th Feb 2000, 19:45
This time next year i will be on a course to get my CPL. I will no longer be a Bar Man. Thanks for letting me share guys !!!!!

By the next 29th Feb I will be flying Jets

( Shouldn't be too difficult though !!! )

kopbhoy2
29th Feb 2000, 20:17
28th feb 2001, hopefully in posession of a PPL and on my way to CPL/IR land...but probably in the same job...

Still it could be a lot worse, I could have no job at all...

Genghis the Engineer
29th Feb 2000, 20:33
FRAeS, and owner of a share in something with a cabin heater so I can do more winter flying - it's too bloody cold at the moment for open cockpit.

G

QNH1013
29th Feb 2000, 23:52
*This time next year *I'LL!* be flying JETS!*

Well, I've said it and I hope it'll come true....
But at this stage, a prop job flying mail at 3am....I wouldn't say NO!

IR, re-sits, MCC, BROKE.......Chin Up I guess....almost there.
All the best for the rest of you.

Modular Man
29th Feb 2000, 23:55
Still trying to pass JAA Theory unless the CAA can get their act together!!!!!

Air Male
1st Mar 2000, 00:44
I'll be 26 grand worse off.

Alt Cap
1st Mar 2000, 01:18
chins up, I used to say the same thing, not so long ago, & now have shining 767's on my license.

Busbar
1st Mar 2000, 02:39
I'll still be fighting the bloody CAA for them to issue me a medical! If only!!

slider
1st Mar 2000, 02:44
I'll still be editing this message

[This message has been edited by slider (edited 29 February 2000).]

slider
1st Mar 2000, 02:44
I'll still be cutting bog roll :rolleyes:

Brian glasgow
1st Mar 2000, 17:31
well if i get a nice phone call sometime soon ill be freezing my knackers off at Michigan learning how to fly for BA!!!

hopefully

Brian

ATPLORBUST
1st Mar 2000, 18:29
This time next year I will have my CPL/IR and will be starting MCC.

Soon be flying jets!!!

Alfie_Midnight
1st Mar 2000, 21:10
This time last year I had just been accepted on the BA CEP.

This time next year I'll hopefully be racking up my nth month of line flying. Before then I've got GFT/IRT/MCC/Conversion Course.

About 13 months ago I thought it was never going to happen, but now there's chinks of light appearing everywhere.

Alfie

GR340
2nd Mar 2000, 02:59
This summer i'm going to the U.S. to take
my CPL and CFI,CFII lisences and by this
time next year i will be flying as a flight
instructor somewhere in the U.S.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU FELLOW PILOTS

Shamrock 321
2nd Mar 2000, 03:38
I gotta make it to jets! No matter what happens between now and then I will be training for my CPL (unless BA or EI take me on) this time next year... I'm gonna do it and nothing will stand in my way !! Yeah...

Now I feel better!

[This message has been edited by Shamrock 321 (edited 01 March 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Shamrock 321 (edited 01 March 2000).]

Mr Nice guy
2nd Mar 2000, 07:29
This time next year, I will be in Australia as a cadet.

Good luck to all you guys out there!!!!!!!

WX Man
4th Mar 2000, 04:07
Hope all you BA cadets are getting on better than the lot at ACA, Lakeland (runway incursions? more like runway excursions!!!!!!)

This time next year, I will be mostly revising for my finals whilst being a flying instructor.

Ace on Base
5th Mar 2000, 07:00
This time in ten years I will STILL be trying to make it to G.A.

Multi, IFR, Gr 2 instructor rating, 1300 hrs, BN2, B55, B58, Seneca, Twin Comanchi, etc....... and thats the way it is in Australia - just waking up to smell the ROSES!!

------------------
"Keep Smilin' Sunshiners!!"

AK747
5th Mar 2000, 07:39
This Time next year I will Be flying Shinny JETS __o0o__
I will never give up
Thanks to my instructer you know who you are Kati koo. :)
AK747

luvly jubbly
5th Mar 2000, 12:38
This time next year, I'll be posting on PPRuNe!

anywhere
6th Mar 2000, 07:54
Hey!!

I'll FLY FOR FOOD!!!!!!!!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Sal
6th Mar 2000, 15:49
This time next i will be on the BA CEP course hopefully nearly completed my training.
Insh-allah

Sal

fifthcolumns
1st Oct 2000, 21:15
Ok Time for an update, remember all those promises you made. Well it's time for a late mid term report. It's too late saying it'll be this time next year, you made a commitment. Let's here from everyone who contributed. Where are you now?
As for me it at least looks as if I'll be earning money from flying at last. Not quite jets.

QNH1013
28th Feb 2001, 07:50
I've had this thread bookmarked for a year as I intended to make a response or update when the time came, whether good, bad or no news.

What I wrote one year ago....

*This time next year *I'LL!* be flying JETS!*
Well, I've said it and I hope it'll come true....
But at this stage, a prop job flying mail at 3am....I wouldn't say NO!

IR, re-sits, MCC, BROKE.......Chin Up I guess....almost there.
All the best for the rest of you.

I was still on CAP 509 training then and was a month away from completing everything.
Well! I'm now, one year later, very happy to say that I've got my first airline job and I AM on Jets! I have the pleasure of being in the right hand seat of the 737-300/400.

It has not been easy to get here, being a low houred pilot did not help much either despite what all the flying schools will advertise. Now that I see, the flying schools that advertise in Flight with pictures of commercial jets and people wearing their pilot jackets with 4 Captains bars, really paint a promising picture. But no one ows you a job after you've put all your money 'invested' in the training and it can be a tough time to get in to the airlines, and even tougher on jets.

Anyway it was a hard and sometimes very depressing year last year after finishing and I had the usual PFO letters and knockbacks saying more hours, more hours. I do think that CAP 509 was quality training though and the very few airlines that would consider low hours would perhaps only consider low hours after an integrated course. This is just going from what I see happening in UK at the moment. Those jobs are few and far between and it seems the real job market will always be for experienced pilots.

My only real breaks came from airlines outside UK. I have the right to live and work elsewhere so I'm here in south east Asia where only 2 opportunities came at the end of last year, went through the aptitudes, sim and interview and finally got word that I had made it in Jan this year with one of the airlines. As for the other, I'm yet to even be called for the final stage! Started in Feb and now on type training.

I hope that everyone gets their first break somewhere. I consider myself very lucky to be where I am now, to basically get employed within a year before my IR expired! If getting hours was easy then we'd all be doing it but after what I'd spent already I had no more cash to put in to further hour buying or to start instructing for hours.
I just hope the airlines and other operators will give more people a chance.

one thing I can say though is never give up. I would have done anything just to get hours or A job for that matter. We all want this more than anything so there is no other way but to keep at it with a positive attitude.
I hope more airlines will give more low houred jobless wannabes a fair chance to prove themselves to get that first important break. And as a friend nicely put it to me and which I totally agree, if in future I was ever sitting on a recruiting board, I would remember how it felt to be a determined and committed pilot looking for that first break. And not turn a candidate away just because it said 250 hours on the CV. Most of us are not made of money and if the investment we've made so far is not good enough to prove that we are serious about a pilot career then I don't know what else would do.

And as I said last year,
All the best to the rest of you!!

P.S. To Danny and all the Moderators of PPRuNe that make this site possible, a big Thank You for a top class job. This site helps and unites in so many ways to so many people and please don't ever think that we all take you for granted for the hard work and ever increasing effort you all put in to maintaining it all. The resource we have here on this site It's very much appreciated and enjoyed everyday.
CHEERS!

[This message has been edited by QNH1013 (edited 28 February 2001).]

kopbhoy2
28th Feb 2001, 13:37
Well, I'd hoped to have the PPL by now, but I still don't...in fact I'm considering giving up for 6 months in order to save up for the cost of a PPL in the USA, we'll see...

Still, I've had a lot of fun & I've learned a huge amount, about flyng & about myself...and I passed my driving test, bought a car & changed jobs!

Jonty
28th Feb 2001, 13:46
Feb 28th 2000:
Just started a new job at LATCC making coffee and working in the sim dep. A total of 300 hours, CPL/IR, MCC.

Feb 28th 2001:
Right hand seat of a B757 in a charter airline, been here for 6 months and still cannot wipe the grin off my face.

ickle black box
28th Feb 2001, 14:08
Within 2 weeks I find out if I'm to become a RAF pilot, flying Fireflys in a years time, or back to Florida, to keep on buiding the hours in a Warrior.

ibb http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Flypuppy
28th Feb 2001, 14:28
Much deeper in debt than I am right now, but hopefully not behind a fugging computer screen anymore :)

lone eagle
28th Feb 2001, 15:21
Hopefully on the BA CEP scheme. :)

Loony_Pilot
23rd Mar 2001, 02:47
Hopefully in a job..

now 13 months jobless graduate of OATS

seem to have been born unlucky....

ronchonner
23rd Mar 2001, 05:25
thank you to QNH 1013 for his comments,
I guess in one year i will be on ATR,EMB145 or on a small turboprop.
we will see, ive ever paid a damn EU dollars for a jar course and I will continue to fly.I turned down several bad paid job.
no easy every day, sometime i do nt fly for 3-6 months."you do nt have this, we need that, you are overqualified!!"...bla bla bla...I know it s very frustrating!
anyway, keep looking ,keep trying.

HomerSimpson
23rd Mar 2001, 22:25
I will be flying jets. Either biz-jet or airlines. Preferable types Citations/Learjets or 757/767.

------------------
Duff, Duff, that Wonderful stuff. Ummmmm Doughnuts

JelloFlyer
24th Mar 2001, 09:41
This time next Year... I will be flying Turbo-Props with a 135 operation... I hope! JETS would be nice though! You all keep your nose to the grind stone...

aerostude
25th Mar 2001, 18:44
In a year's time I will have done Elementary Flying Training (RAF) and will be learning to polish shoes at IOT.

2years - fast jet pilot
3years - air commodore
4years - Chief of Air Staff

(All times are subject to change)

Woz
26th Mar 2001, 01:05
And slight exaggeration :)

A year from now, I'll be pissing myself waiting to go into an office and find out where I've been streamed.

Help!

Unusual Attitude
26th Mar 2001, 18:13
This time next year I'll hopefully be CPL/IR Frz ATPL and skint. It'll all be worth it though when I get that first job.

Yup I can see it now, putting on my smart uniform and hat, climbing into my cramped but comfortable seat, putting on my headset and uttering those magical words......

"Welcome to the drive-thru, would you like fries and a shake with that sir.......??" :)

Borg32
14th Apr 2001, 17:41
**Unusual Attitude**

I was reading the thread - minding my own business, when all of a sudden I read your little gem -

I genuinely laughed out loud, split my coffee, fell off the swivel chair,and nearly wet myself (not a good thing for a wannabe pilot).

ever thought of comedy for a living?

Unusual Attitude
20th Apr 2001, 04:21
Yeah well Borg32, depending on my ATPL results I may have to take up comedy.

I could always get a job with the JAA, I reckon you'd need a right sense of humour to come up with some of their latest schemes !

Not that I've got a chip or anything http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

Regards

UA

------------------
Something will always spoil your fun.....
Beer has the Hangover, Sex has the STD, GA has the CAA !

sam_flying
20th Apr 2001, 11:01
Ok, my turn!

In a years time I will be finishing my ATPL groundschool and about to take my final stint of exams.... I will have built some more hours to get me over the 100hr mark and have converted my FAA PPL to a JAA PPL, and maybe have done my night rating....but doubt I will have been able to fit in a IMC by then.

Of course right now this all seems like a dream as I am struggling to sell my house which is going to pay for all this!!!

Its very hard not to get dispondent! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Anyway, I will work bloody hard for it...and I WILL get there!!!! :)

We all will!

Gosh I am feeling determind today...perhaps its cos its nearly the weekend. :)

ickle black box
20th Apr 2001, 18:28
My last post on this thread just 6 weeks ago failed, after the RAF said No.

Next prediction .... Either at Dartmouth with the Navy, or on an integrated ATPL course.

Dartmouth depends on the Navy accepting me.
ATPL course depends on Navy not accepting me, and CAA giving me a class 1 med.

lost in life ickle

edited a million times to try and make the silly face with ??? above appear, before giving up, screaming, hitting the monitor repeatably, and generally cursing this stupid computer!!!

[This message has been edited by ickle black box (edited 20 April 2001).]

anengineer
11th May 2001, 22:11
Well, this time next year, I *hope* I will have made *some*, in fact *any* headway towards becoming a commercial pilot. Right now, I have zero hours and just enough cash to pay for a PPL. I'm 37, so my time is running out rapidly. My first step is to see if I can get through a Class 1 medical.

However - not coming from a wealthy family, and getting just 17k / year (uk), not owning a house... the biggest problem will not be the medical or the job market, just down to money - pure & simple. I have no idea where to start to try to raise the cash I need, and despite wanting this more than anything in the world (and wanting it since I was 8), I have to be realistic and think my chances are slimmer than Mr Slim of Slimsville.

I cannot afford, timewise, to consider anything other than an all-in zero to ATPL course due to my age, and ironically it is the one thing I cannot see me ever affording, financially.

My dreams of being a pilot have thrown me from optimistic hope to black depression and back again for 29 years and it takes its toll.

If you could convert enthusiasm into cash, I'd have enough to pay for everyone here to get trained :)

If only I could get a loan for the training, I would gladly pay any interest rate and work for peanuts (yes, you get like this after nearly 3 decades of dreaming !)

Good luck to everyone who's trying....

(..and if by some small miracle I do manage to someday get myself in the sharp end of a 737, I will buy everyone here a drink ! ...and you can hold me to that.)

p.s. - if, however, I don't make it... will you all buy *me* a drink :)

great expectations
12th May 2001, 14:41
Ill be in MICHIGAN with BA ;) with Charlie 130 and Brian.... Good Luck everyone.

Tim01
12th May 2001, 23:19
I will be 30+k in the red!!!

.....will Burger King take you without a multi/ir?

Loony_Pilot
13th May 2001, 00:26
Hopefully flying for an airline!!!

JT8
13th May 2001, 02:24
I'll be freezing my arse off in Michigan, or be stuck in Kidlington...courtesy of BA ofcourse. ;)

JT8 :)

DoWeHaveLiftOff?
13th May 2001, 13:37
In February this year, I was at zero hours with little or no knowledge of the flying world and aeroplanes....today I am more than halfway through ready for my solo and waiting to hear back if i can be given a Medical 1...hopfully in February 2002 (God willing) I will have a PPL, IMC and Night ratings and approx 150 and maybe if I'm lucky enough i would have startded my groundschool........

Be positive all the time and have confidence and luck will always be with you. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Good luck folks

DWHLO

PFO
13th May 2001, 17:56
This time next year I will have completed my PPSC course, got my hours - started CPL/IR and have enough cash in the bank to see me through a couple of years instructing!!!

PFO

ps. I will stop attending sponsorship aptitude tests and redirect the funds saved to something more useful!

Cruise Contrail
28th Jun 2002, 14:00
Anyone want to give us an update on this topic?

It would be interesting post 9/11 to see what everyone is doing now (or not doing :rolleyes: )

redsnail
28th Jun 2002, 15:03
Just about to go to the Gatbash. :D :D
Approx 2 weeks away from a JAR ATPL. :cool:

Snigs
28th Jun 2002, 15:47
Then I was a PPL slowly building hours whilst working in Sweden, now I'm a CPL/IR frozen ATPL, forlornly but resolutely looking for a flying job.

But I am, as usual, warming up for the GatBash. :D

A Very Civil Pilot
28th Jun 2002, 16:37
28.2.2000 - instructor

28.6.2002 turboprop f/o (since Dec 2000)

AlphaCharlie
28th Jun 2002, 18:26
I will have graduated university with at least a 2:1 BEng Hons Aerospace Engineering Technology. I'll then be either:

i) Figuring out a method to afford to pay for flight training.

ii) Going through the process of applying to all those sponsorship schemes which WILL restart soon.

iii) Be working all the hours God sends to earn some money to go travelling for 6 months, forgetting all the troubles and worries that come with wanting to be a pilot.

By 28th June 2004 I'll be 12 months into my JAA ATPL course.

By 28th June 2005 I'll be in the right hand seat flying A319/320/321s for a major London based airline and heading towards my full ATPL.

Now that is what I call forward thinking!! I never fail and am fully determined to make this happen.

tunneler
29th Jun 2002, 00:26
hmmmm............

so as Brian Glasgow´s (what a ****in stupid name) official spokesman I feel I should bring you all upto speed..........

May 2001, BA said no for the 3rd time.... FB 3 years in a row....... woulda though i would have managed to get it by then eh??

June 2001, Tunny begs borrows and steals 50k...............

July 2001, Tunny starts at BAE systems jerez.

Dec 2001, Tunny gets first 6 exams without losing too much hair....

June 2002, Tunny prepares to sit 2nd set of jar exams and pt2 at jerez, scared? you betcha........ swop anyone? not in this lifetime..........

Seriously lucky enough to have parents that support me through this bloody carry on and humble enough to realise i love em dearly

hopefully this time next year i shall be able to post saying im in the RHS of anything that involves flying,, and hopefully being able to make the most of what has the potential to be the best career going.........................

MAX
30th Jun 2002, 19:25
Flying bizjets as I predicted.:D Although was a year behind schedule.
Also managed to lose a 757 position as a result of Sept. 11th. :(

You lose some, You win some.:)

MAX:cool:

EGCC4284
28th Feb 2006, 21:46
And where is everyone now?????

Send Clowns
28th Feb 2006, 22:51
Funnily enough I started training at SFT the day this thread started, although I did not know of PPRuNe then! I have been flying commercial charter for 3 weeks now, and absolutely love it! Been a long slog, mostly due to the events of September 2001 and it has cost me a lot, finances aside. It has been worth it.

Superpilot
1st Mar 2006, 10:30
I didn't contribue to this thread originally but definitely noticed it.

Well it's March 2006 and I....

Gained my PPL, Night rating (now 110 hours)
Have had 4 non-aviation related jobs
Have owned 4 different cars (lost about 15k in the process)
Have paid of dad's debts (now he's gonna pay mine! ;) )
Am married
Have a kid
Bought a house
Applied and went through the assesment for 3 sponsorships (BA, XLA and CTC) and failed all three! CTC have invited me to apply again. One last go I think! :)
Commenced a Distance Learning ATPL theory course (3 months in)

My first post on here was at age 18 (can't remember the alias now). I'm now nearly 25. So it's got to happen in the next year or two really hasn't it? :ooh:

VC10 Rib22
1st Mar 2006, 11:59
It is inspiring to read about other wannabees dreams coming to fruition, so belated congratulations to two of the original posters, QNH1013 and Max, and, also, A Very Civil Pilot and Send Clowns for having done so. I'm sure some of the other posters have achieved their dreams and have been too busy to let us know - if not, I hope they are still plugging away. Let us know anyway.
I'm going to join in now - partly for fun and partly to add another component to my ambition/drive/motivation to get to the Promised Land or, rather, Promised Sky, and I encourage others to join me. There is no shame if you don't get there - better to have tried and failed than never tried at all. For those who are a bit shy or sensitive, remember this is an anonymous forum, or you can even create a new username specifically for this purpose.
Anyway,
THIS TIME NEXT YEAR I WILL BE A COMMERCIAL PILOT, AND I WILL BE JUSTIFIABLY PROUD TO HAVE MADE THE TRANSITION FROM A MAINTENANCE ROLE TO THAT OF AN OPERATIONAL ONE (NOR WILL I FORGET THAT - NO MATTER HOW TURBULENT THE WEATHER, HOW DISAGREEABLE MY CAPTAIN MAY SEEM TO BE, HOW MUCH THE PAX, DISPATCHERS, OPS, CABIN CREW, ENGINEERS AND ATC SEEM TO WANT TO FRUSTRATE ME, HOW POORLY PAID AND PENSIONED, UNDERFED, UNDERWATERED AND BADLY ROSTERED I AM - IT IS BETTER THAN PERFORMING A VARIETY OF MAINTENANCE TASKS INSIDE A WING WHILST WEARING FULL BREATHING AIR APPARATUS, SWEATING PROFUSELY AND BEING IN QUITE A LOT OF PAIN. MORE IMPORTANTLY, I WILL HAVE ACHIEVED MY LIFE AMBITION.
VC10 Rib22
:ok:
ps Good luck to all of you!

Unusual Attitude
1st Mar 2006, 12:05
Wow, forgot all about this Thread...!!

Well I got all my ATPL's, a CPL and 300hrs....no IR though due to some very unfortunate circumstances so guess what?? It's ATPL time all over again !!! :(
I/R, MCC and FI planned for April 07 and this time it should all go according to plan.....I hope !!