PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

NV30
25th Apr 2012, 19:12
Hi,

I have a job offer for a FO position on a Dash Q400 with a regional airline, here in north america. But I am about to be upgraded within my company from a turboprop (not EFIS) to our 737-200s. We mostly do charter flights; and I won't be flying as much as with the regional airline (the salary is the same, and the schedule would be more stable with the regional).

My short term objective is to go back to Europe closer to my family. I know that the 737-200 is so old that it is not in use anymore in Europe; and I am aware that airlines require hours on EFIS type; but would they consider my experience on the old 737?

What would you do?

Thanks for your help ;)

Halfwayback
25th Apr 2012, 20:21
Not sure about the North American market but I would have thought that B737 jet time would be a better feather to have in your cap. Turbo prop time is fine and the Q400 is one of the better ones to have.

However from your post you sound as though you are looking to make a move anyway. In Europe jet time is considered an advantage and again from your post if you are looking to get a stable roster you should really be looking at the airline world. That said, jobs here are like hen's teeth.

In your shoes I would stick in your present company, switch onto the 737 and keep a watching brief on the market in Europe in order to move when you see the opening.

Hope it helps

HWB

redsnail
25th Apr 2012, 22:43
It's a tricky call. If it was a B737 NG, no brainer. Not many companies are using the old B737 now as you've already pointed out.

Which job will get you into the LHS the fastest?

NV30
26th Apr 2012, 00:55
Thanks for the replies

The LHS (on the 737-200) would probably come quicker within my company cause we are a very small airline and we often loose pilots who are leaving for the Major.

The regional (a member of Star Alliance) is a subsidiary of the Major and has 1600 pilots. I have been told that it might take up to 5 years to move onto the LHS of the Q400.

deltahotel
26th Apr 2012, 01:41
Be tempted to stay there on the 737, but make sure you have a JAA/EASA licence in yr back pocket for when/if you choose to move to Europe.