View Full Version : I'm torn between Oxford and Bristol d/learning courses.

Tarmach
31st May 2001, 13:36
I'm torn between Oxford and Bristol d/learning courses. Oxford has just lowered its price and before that my mind was set on Bristol. Before anyone says, yes I have used the search function on this site, although I understand there's not much to choose between distance learning courses and its more down to personal choice. However, which one would you recommend? Bristol's doesnt have a virtual college. Does this play a large part in your learning? What kind of pass rates do these schools enjoy- as this is never mentioned in the literature. Bristol mentions that all its notes are contained in ring binders; however, looking at oxfords they look to be contained in books that happily spring shut when you move your hand away from the page. what are the animations like?

many thanks

mad_jock
31st May 2001, 13:54
The virtual college at oxford has been down / not doing anything much since xmas. But apperently they have someone designing a new server but i don't know when it will be going on-line.

I don't know about Bristol but i have found that the notes given by oxford have been reasonable enough. The only complaint is that some of the answers in the section exams are wrong, which at 9:30 at night is highly annoying because once you find one error you start doudting yourself and the tests.
As for the brush up course, the style of teaching suited me but i will tell you how productive it all was in 4 weeks time when i get the results back. :)

[This message has been edited by mad_jock (edited 31 May 2001).]

Dan Dare
31st May 2001, 14:04
BRISTOL!! Don't go for reasonable enough at Oxford, go for Brilliant at Bristol! Alex Whittingham is a Star and the notes are very readable.

(This information is historical, may be two years out of date and Dan accepts no resposibility for inaccuracy/spelling)

mad_jock
31st May 2001, 14:21
Another advantage of Bristol would be the beer and also accomodation would be cheaper.

One other reason for me using Oxford was how easy it was to get to from a reasonably connected Airport to the training site without a car.

EGDR
31st May 2001, 14:34
I'm currently using Bristol and definately recommend them. The notes and good and Feeback, by e-mail, is very prompt.

Suggest you do a search on this topic as it has come up many times before.

Delta Wun-Wun
31st May 2001, 14:52
I am also at Bristol,only ten weeks in so no exam results yet.The notes are in ring binders and very clearly set out so even a thickie like me can understand them.The work is broken down into modules that take 1/2 weeks to complete with progress tests at the end of each module.I e-mail the tests and the marking and worked answers are usually back the same day.A CD is also part of the kit.All the notes are reproduced on the CD along with some animated diagrams which I have found very useful.So far I am very pleased ...as for the final exams?...I think that will be down to me!

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

speedtape king
31st May 2001, 14:56
why not PPSC ? i did distant learning - module one should take 13 weeks - i did it in 8 with a full time job and got 6 out of 7 first attempt. think that says it all for there course

Night Las Palmas
31st May 2001, 22:22
Its been about 7 or 8 years since I did all the exam stuff, but Bristol are fantastic. Alex got me through my ATPL's in one go and that is a big deal with my memory. Whichever course you go for, best of luck.

Superfly
31st May 2001, 23:21
and about the feedback questions ? does BRISTOL provide them during the brush-up course or after ? Cheers, SF

ET
1st Jun 2001, 00:43
Bristol....no doubt at all. First time passes in all..including Perf A..all down to Alex and team. ATPL arrived last week. Do not even think of going elsewhere!

fibod
5th Jun 2001, 21:27
One of your questions is not often asked Tarmach, but very relevant, i.e. 1st time pass rates.

Alex was very good under CAA, but JAA is a different ball game and many comments here refer to CAA days. Oxford are the only school I know who publish exam passes and they are achieving over 90% 1st time passes for JAA; they've also being doing JAA much longer than the other schools. I'm not an expert in groundschool, but I understand that is outstanding.

It's a shame that the CAA don't publish the results by school, because what I would really want if I was doing it all again is the best chance to pass the damned exams!!!

Alex is often on here, maybe he'll publish his 1st time pass rate under JAA?

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by fibod (edited 05 June 2001).]

FalconJock
6th Jun 2001, 12:03
BRISTOL.

I did 2 correspondance courses from Bristol.

(CAA) CPL NAVS (as was) 100% first time pass. Excellant notes.

(CAA) ATPL NAVS. Dropped Met Practical by 1 question. Got it at first resit.

Notes are well written, easy to understand, and the staff at Bristol are more than willing to take phone calls and answer any queeries you may have.

Well Done ALEX and his team

mad_jock
6th Jun 2001, 12:19
Ref OAT pass rate

I don't think the modular passrate is 90% for all exams first time. I would check the wording of the web page. I should expect its 90%+ complete the course not pass first time.
But i could be wrong.

Mind you after the number of resit people who turned up to performance and instruments on Monday and Tuesday at Gatwick is anything to go by it dosn't seem to matter where you go intergrated or modular there seems to be a fairly high failure rate with certain subjects.

MJ

[This message has been edited by mad_jock (edited 06 June 2001).]